Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Project: Resurrection.

Started by sideways_s12 · Feb 22, 2010 · 676postsSMF 2010–26

KeithJan 24, 2014, 11:25 am · #551

Sucks man.....get a nismo fpr. i havent had any issues with mine....several years strong, knock on wood.
I need to check my fuel pressure gauge...i,m pretty sure my pressure drops when i blip the throttle from idle.  Now, under boost i' m guessing it raises

sideways_s12Jan 24, 2014, 6:24 pm · #552

I was told that the fp should go up a bit when you rev it. Either way I was talking with Dee (Boost boy) on nico and he said to get rid of the ebay junk and get a real fpr in the meantime I can use the stock sr unit I have.

BasicJan 24, 2014, 6:45 pm · #553

Yea, it should go up as the engine pressure increases from full vacuum into boost. As an example - the FSM says that a CA20 should have ~ 30psi fuel pressure at idle, and 37 psi at full throttle.

Easy way to test FPR is to hook a vaccume source (hand pump) to the FPR and plug the line to the manifold. Start the car and read the pressure. Then start applying vacuum - the fuel pressure should decrease as vacuum increases. Likewise, the opposite is true - as vacuum decreases (full throttle and boost) fuel pressure will increase.

sideways_s12Jan 25, 2014, 1:31 am · #554

Thats what I thought well the problem seems to have worked itself out my afrs are fine now for whatever reason...

sideways_s12Feb 1, 2014, 8:57 pm · #555

Ok I need to know if any of you are using external wastegates? How do you know if it is taking a shit on on you? My boost gauge reads 5psi like it always has but the torque/power isn't there like it was when I first got the car back when I checked for my exhaust leak I also checked the turbo and there was very little side to side shaft play and no in and out shaft play it doesn't sound like the fins are rubbing either. I can't figure it out. Any body have any ideas?

sideways_s12Feb 6, 2014, 1:36 am · #556

Welp fixed my problem checked my timing and it was off fixed that and all is well. But I do have an exhaust leak UGH!!!!!!!

8SixS12Feb 7, 2014, 8:48 am · #557

Man that sucks. You're scaring me man!

sideways_s12Feb 8, 2014, 4:22 am · #558

Lol scaring you how? Hopefully the exhaust leak will be fixed Sunday
Post Merge


I think I have a tps problem as anything above 35% throttle feels like the car is is way out its rev range even tho it's only at like 4500rpm but if I stay at 35% it pulls as if I was at 80 percent it's weird.
IggyEGuanaFeb 10, 2014, 10:43 am · #559

something with the way the ecu perceives load. the TPS, rev, maf, i'm not sure what else. the fsm covers it in the ef&ec section i think

sideways_s12Feb 10, 2014, 6:49 pm · #560

I don't have the fsm for the det tho... also its intermittent sometimes (like on the way to work today) it runs awesome then I get this spell of it hesitating and and break-up along with sputtering at certain throttle positions. I do notice it seems to do it more when its cold out I even let the car warm up but it takes forever to warm up I mean sometimes longer than 30 mins and it's not even that cold out.

sideways_s12Feb 13, 2014, 3:10 am · #561

Welp turns out the problem was the fpr but my new problem is  the 255 is over running it just enough to kill it it at idle if I dont give it gas when warm but it driveable and  runs nice  just rich. When I get money im going to get a legit fpr no more ebay crap...

IggyEGuanaFeb 20, 2014, 12:51 am · #562

Heres the FSM. The link will direct download the compressed file and then you have to extract it to somewhere on your computer.

http://www.driftopia.com/downloads/S13%20CA18DET.zip

sideways_s12Feb 21, 2014, 1:29 am · #563

Awesome thanks I think ill put it on my jump drive I just got.

sideways_s12Feb 22, 2014, 11:12 pm · #564

Just ordered a new safc2 should be here ina few days I'll finally beable to stop my over fueling at idle issue and turn up the boost woop!

8SixS12Feb 25, 2014, 7:39 am · #565

Sweet. Hope it fixes the problem.

sideways_s12Feb 26, 2014, 1:21 am · #566

Im sure it will

sideways_s12Mar 1, 2014, 11:34 pm · #567

So talking to some of the nico ca gurus looks like I'll need to swap my 02 sensor to get rid of this problem so tomorrow after I swap my fpr again I'll go get an o2 sensor.
Post Merge


swapped my o2 sensor and the problem still exists. Lost....
sideways_s12Mar 7, 2014, 11:10 pm · #568

Woot got nistune on the way! In other news I spanked a 90's celica!

sideways_s12Mar 11, 2014, 2:58 am · #569

Picked up my nistune ecu tonight cant wait to.get tuning

sideways_s12Mar 15, 2014, 11:30 pm · #570

Went to tune with nistune and mid way through the laptop died so I need to set up another time to go there and get it done went back to the stock ecu and safc for now until I can set up another time to get down there and get it done right. Also my battery took a shit on me like just straight told me and my car to go fuck our couch. I've never had this happen the battery had absolutely no juice in it whatsoever and it was abrupt like I was just driving seconds before pulled in a parking spot and it died from being rich at idle all the lights and everything were still on. I turned the key to start it so I could move more into the parking space and I hear a pop like a fuse let go. I checked them all and they were all fine. So I got some jumper cables and hooked them to the battery then touched the other ends together and nothing not even so much as a flicker lol. Tha's when I knew the battery was dead luckily we were at walmart. So i just went to the back and got a battery even tho there automotive section was closed and they tried ( very poorly I might add) to boarded up the Batteries lol so I just removed the boards and found the battery I needed grabbed it and left lol  just paid for it at the front.

I did notice the other was fucked worse than I had thought. The new battery made everything smoother and I'm guessing because everything is getting the correct voltage now. My headlights are brighter the interior light is brighter my dash lights are brighter lol it's weird. I just chocked it up to the car being old lol turns out the battery was shit. Well atleast thats taken care of. gotta fix the leak coming from my oil drain hose on the turbo and she will be solid then I can tune her and take her to the dyno to see what power I'm making on stick boost!

seishukuMar 16, 2014, 12:55 am · #571

Have you ever checked your alternator voltage? It might be overcharging the battery...

sideways_s12Mar 16, 2014, 3:21 am · #572

I have not but the battery was old when I bought the car I believe the alt is fine but it's def something I will check.

sideways_s12Mar 22, 2014, 3:06 am · #573

Woot! Nistune installed and tuned on stock injectors and 5psi I can now rev all the way to 7k no problem  it's a beautiful thing and the car is pretty quick on 5psi the power band is linear doesnt feel spikey like normal boosted cars but thats probably due to the cams it has nice bottomend an awesome topend I hope I have time to upgrade injectors and up the boost. My butt dyno tells me im ar ound 200hp. I would like to dyno the car butI have to find time as the shop with the dyno only works stripper hours lol so we'll see. So far I am happy!

In other news I had a civic try me on the freeway after I got tuned you can guess what the outcome was .....lol

sideways_s12Mar 28, 2014, 3:10 am · #574

My drivers seat broke yesterday so that was fun driving to work and home I give it some gas the seat would rock back my foot would come off the pedal seat would rock forward putting my foot back on the pedal causing me to accelerate which caused the seat to go back...you get the picture lol had to lean forward in order to drive the Damn car lol. I swapped out the seat with one from my turbo car. The bracket on the other seat broke...

WonderingravenMar 31, 2014, 12:42 am · #575

Seems very common with the old s12 seats.

sideways_s12Mar 31, 2014, 1:35 am · #576

Yeah but in all the years I've owned one this has never happened lol

ProlowtoneMar 31, 2014, 1:29 pm · #577

Sam had his break in mid slid if i remember correctly hahaha

sideways_s12Mar 31, 2014, 9:36 pm · #578

That's shitty. Thinking about upping the boost need more power lol

sideways_s12Apr 3, 2014, 2:09 am · #579

Woot fixed oil leak!

sideways_s12Apr 6, 2014, 8:07 pm · #580

Changed oil and filter today along with fuel filter seems to be a little smoother with the new fuel filter also doesn't randomly go rich as much and the idle after decel seems to be a little better as well... Weds I'll probably put the boost controller on and see where I'm at...

sideways_s12Apr 20, 2014, 10:11 pm · #581

I can't f**king win! I swapped springs to a 12psi spring and my wideband gauge took a s*** on me. My afrs were good before it went out when I first swapped the spring I went for a run to see where the boost was at and to see where my afrs were at they basically didn't move from when it was 5psi wot is 10 and it stayed in the normal range while cruising. I pulled into my driveway and wanted to see why my parking lights didn't work. I turned the car on and the wideband turned on like normal turned the car off d!ck with some wires that have nothing to do with where the wideband was hooked up turned to car back on to see if i fixed it and noticed the my wideband wasn't on so stopped messing with the other stuff and tried to figure out what was wrong with the wideband. I hooked it up to where I know there is power and the gauge still didn't come on. The wire harness for the wideband is fine so it has to be the gauge, I'm assuming...

mcApr 21, 2014, 7:45 am · #582

I have issues with my AEM but its the two connections on the rear of guage...they get loose and the slightest wire tug and its over, remove guage from pod and press those clip harness back in place...otherwise its been an excellent guage...I never hit boost without one.

sideways_s12Apr 23, 2014, 4:02 pm · #583

Yeah I fixed the issues turned out it wasn't getting power for whatever reason the wires it was hooked up to lost power after a fuse blew I replaced the fuse but still no power to those wires So I just found a different source should be good now!

sideways_s12May 3, 2014, 10:29 pm · #584

Smacked up a v6 mustang the other day. I don't know why he bothered lol He thought he was fast till he realized he couldn't catch me. hahaha

IggyEGuanaMay 6, 2014, 12:02 am · #585

He wasnt even trying to race. He just thought you were cute. *gay mustang driver joke*

sideways_s12May 10, 2014, 9:32 pm · #586

LOL. I smacked up a chrysler 300 the other day on the way home from work! I am going to be dynoing when I get my bonus money on my chrysler card next week would really like to see what I'm putting down

IggyEGuanaMay 11, 2014, 10:00 pm · #587

VIDEO!!!!!!! actually lmk when ur gonna do it I might be able to go

sideways_s12May 12, 2014, 2:34 am · #588

It's going to be the tuesday after the 16th because it's my friday

sideways_s12May 17, 2014, 11:26 pm · #589

Welp the dyno never happened because I was sick and got into a fucking accident! hood got bent driver side fender mangled grill filler piece on driver side mangled, marker light smashed and bumper pushed down. Fortunately the bumper support is ok and it lost a couple of bolts so instead of having it drag I just removed it. I swapped to my turbo hood, and I pulled the fender out as much as I could. So it doesn't look too bad.

BasicMay 17, 2014, 11:34 pm · #590

Man that sucks, sorry to hear that.

sideways_s12May 17, 2014, 11:44 pm · #591

It's all good it could of been worse. Although I thought the world ended when it happened. I'm still a lil pissed about it but all I can do is try to make it whole again!

sideways_s12May 25, 2014, 1:36 am · #592

I repainted my turbo hood need to resand it tho then repaint it again as I fucked up using the wrong grit sandpaper lol but it looks way better then the faded panda hood it was before!

sideways_s12May 31, 2014, 9:28 pm · #593

I think my clutch took a shit on me I will be checking out tomorrow to see if that is indeed the problem I hope not because I really don't feel like changing the clutch....

8SixS12Jun 1, 2014, 11:52 am · #594

Damn man. When does it end?  Sux bro.

sideways_s12Jun 2, 2014, 2:44 am · #595

It's all good apparently the clutch was just hot. I drove it today with no issue I do think I need to retune I'm getting some sputtering at wot and when I try to launch. But if I ease on it it accelerates fine!

8SixS12Jun 7, 2014, 8:42 am · #596

Yeah it does sound like a tuning issue. How do AFRs look while at WOT?

sideways_s12Jun 7, 2014, 8:47 pm · #597

10.0 but thats what is was when I was at 5psi and it ran fine. I did figure out the problem I did a boost leak test and I had/have a a bunch of boost leaks fixed most of them but I have one major one I am fixing today while at work My tb is leaking and the shaft *pause The PO was an idiot and thought it to be good idea to change the throttle wheel thats attached to the shaft *pause so I have probably always had this problem but I think it just got worse recently. Soon as I swap the tb I'm going to do another boost leak test and see if that fixes it!
Post Merge


Welp I swapped my tb and the idle afrs are better but it still sputters at anything over 3/4 throttle so I'm going to do another boost leak test a retune!
sideways_s12Jun 12, 2014, 12:29 am · #598

Thinking spark maybe the issue coils going bad maybe ?

IggyEGuanaJun 14, 2014, 10:13 pm · #599

you just cleaned them up! test them like that guy in that video did

sideways_s12Jun 14, 2014, 10:19 pm · #600

Yeah that's what I was going to do but the more I think about it the more I think I need to regap the plugs and also may have a maf issue as well.... Actually I know I have a maf issue just not sure if it's wiring to the plug or the maf itself.