Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Matt's S12

Started by seishuku · Aug 3, 2007 · 1232postsInvision 2005–09SMF 2010–26

seishukuJan 3, 2011, 5:00 pm · #851

Oh, I love TIG welding, that's what my welder at work is, I don't really care for MIG all that much, but I just don't care to ever weld over .5" plate ever again!

ProlowtoneJan 3, 2011, 5:07 pm · #852

oh, i see. Well nice project but i got to get to work on mine hahaha. Good luck and ill be following along

seishukuJan 10, 2011, 6:07 pm · #853

(https://i.imgur.com/CTuZDzg.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/QOe027i.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/DPlFHzu.jpg)

EternalSwapJan 11, 2011, 3:38 am · #854

im glad you replaced that wire with tube. i dont think wire would have braced anything well at all

seishukuJan 11, 2011, 7:32 pm · #855

In the right positions and setup, it could tension the chassis into being stiffer! But I like tubing better. :lol:


Post Merge: 07:47:51 PM / 11-Jan-11
Next tubing to go in: Triangulation to the rear upper seat belt shoulder strap mounts (which were never used on my chassis, mine only had rear lap belts).
seishukuJan 15, 2011, 2:53 pm · #856

3rd gear carnage!
(https://i.imgur.com/9xeCNHj.jpg)
Two full teeth stripped off.

More to come as I get things broken down and taken apart.

sam31183Jan 15, 2011, 3:04 pm · #857

chassis stiffening = transmission fatigue....i thought everyone knew this? jk jk jk.

Big BrotherJan 16, 2011, 1:32 pm · #858

You need to just give in, and find a way to put a Borg T5 in that thing. If that can't take the abuse, nothing will!

seishukuJan 16, 2011, 2:29 pm · #859

I'd really like a built tremic 6 speed, but that isn't gonna happen for a long time!

Normally these FS5W71C transmissions can take a bit of abuse (about 400 Ft/LBS), but only if the oil changes are kept up and heat kept down.
This stock trans I kept up on it with regular oil changes, donno if I ever got it really hot though, but who knows what the previous 4 owners did to it in the 100k miles that it had on it when I bought it.

This new trans should hold up for a long time (crosses fingers).

Anyway, I got everything swapped now (my upper body is KILLING me), just need to button a few things up still... Then a test drive!
Spent from 4pm to 11pm last night getting the bulk of it done.

JayJan 16, 2011, 2:52 pm · #860

Yay!
I did drive that tranny too... Not for very long, but I did, and it was better than the one in my S12.

(Mines getting all chewed up from the welded diff, boy can you feel the bitch buckle when turning slowly and not spinning)

seishukuJan 16, 2011, 3:25 pm · #861

Yeah, just got everything buttoned up, first drive... VERY smooth compared to the old trans. Seemed easier to get it sideways too, not sure why. :lol:

Here are the rest of the carnage pics
(https://i.imgur.com/hvFdErk.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/Lkq1xgL.jpg)

Edit:
Oh, thanks again Jay, you're a life saver! :D
We should be getting our taxes done soon, so we'll be able to pay you soon, hopefully sometime in the next few weeks.

Edit 2:
I also need to replace (at a minimum) the passenger side motor mount,  that apparently was leaking for some time now (leaving nasty stains on my cross member) and that I seem to have finished off trying to realign the trans and engine. :\

falkhenJan 16, 2011, 5:09 pm · #862

Tremec T56's arn't that great plus the heavy (130lbs) and Big in comparison of the ford Mustang T5 (75 lbs).  From what I hear its pretty stout and with the Quick Time bell housing adapter to allows you to adapt to LSx
I'm certain they could be convinced to make a bell housing adapter to fit to SR,RB,VG alike

more info about the tremec T56 also exploded view service manual.

Big BrotherJan 16, 2011, 6:00 pm · #863

^ agreed. 6 speeds are nice, but it's more than Matt will make use of. Besides, TKO's are so friggin expensive these days unless you can find one in the wrecking yard. Guess how often that happens?  :/

seishukuJan 16, 2011, 6:36 pm · #864

Like I said, probably will never happen.

More likely, I'll go with a FS5R30A out of a Z32 300ZX or where ever I can find one (tons of Nissans had them), or maybe a FS6R31A from a 350Z, but that's less likely to be found for cheap.

seishukuJan 27, 2011, 10:23 pm · #865

Went a little screw happy with making a new cover for the shifter...
(https://i.imgur.com/3DD9FkA.jpg)

Keeps the crap out and no breeze, and I could still go back to an S12 trans if I wanted to.

seishukuFeb 4, 2011, 5:26 pm · #866

Yay for sub-panel in the garage!
(https://i.imgur.com/UtdY9m9.jpg)

It's a little rigged up right now, because I'm lazy and it's functional. I'll finish it later when it's a little warmer out.
Also yay for running my air compressor on 240volt (the outlet is a 120/240 one), it doesn't even struggle pumping up to 120PSI and recovers fairly well (for such a small compressor).

seishukuFeb 15, 2011, 9:01 pm · #867

Photo dump
(https://i.imgur.com/mvg3ptj.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/Hu771BY.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/N6NMLRV.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/DrRQAJv.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/RiAK2UP.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/Tvs4F83.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/uWD2dOK.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/hIsoOaf.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/5MWiZnx.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/4KoSi8k.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/wSD86dp.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/NLoRF6V.jpg)

Still need a few more tubes, and need to add connectors to bring it all together.

seishukuFeb 25, 2011, 9:36 pm · #868

(https://i.imgur.com/VTY12CZ.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/8HPoL8K.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/roscd8A.jpg)

One of the tubes... Need the other two in, to form the X, then two forward tubes with connectors to tie it into the mid brace.

I already notice a difference, I can push down on one of the rear corners and the opposite corner comes up with great response, so it's obvious that it's stiffening things up.

seishukuMar 14, 2011, 9:41 pm · #869

Scratches in front main seal bore = fail.

That is all.

tommyMar 14, 2011, 9:57 pm · #870

Sucks!

DeezusMar 15, 2011, 6:55 am · #871

Is all that bracing needed? Wouldnt a cage have been easier?

seishukuMar 15, 2011, 8:20 pm · #872

Sure, if I could build a proper cage I would, but this works in the mean time.
Though there was talk about getting a mandrel bender at work, but who knows when that'll happen.

The biggest issue is the main hoop, which HAS to be one piece, and I don't have any legal way of bending it.


Post Merge: 06:06:31 PM / 16-Mar-11
Nick will be happy about this...
(https://i.imgur.com/UHsiUEl.jpg)

Well, not completely, I could use it to drive an EDIS, but for now it'll just be a crank trigger.
I need to find a VR sensor (don't really like the Ford EDIS sensor) and make a bracket...
Big BrotherMar 16, 2011, 11:28 pm · #873
seishuku on 08:20:09 PM / 15-Mar-11Nick will be happy about this...
(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/seishuku/36-1.jpg)


IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!!

Do it right, and direct drive those COP's I gave you. Difference between dizzy and crank trigger is like night and day, like I told you you'll be kicking youself for taking so long to make the change.

Post Merge: 11:31:56 PM / 16-Mar-11
seishuku on 08:20:09 PM / 15-Mar-11The biggest issue is the main hoop, which HAS to be one piece, and I don't have any legal way of bending it.


*cough* who needs a tube bender, you just need a second mortgage!

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/Auto_Power_Industries/Suspension/Roll_Cages/Bolt-In/13181
seishukuMar 17, 2011, 4:05 pm · #874

Meh, I don't like the fitment of the auto power cages, leaves too much space between the pillars and not enough head room.

I really don't have that much timing drift with cam trigger, even with only 4 trigger windows... Installing that filter cap on the primary trigger input helps a lot.
BUT, it's time to fiddle around with something else, and it would be nice to get rid of the distributor (it does get in the way sometimes)... Plus it's getting harder and harder to find consumables for it.

Big BrotherMar 22, 2011, 11:26 pm · #875
seishuku on 04:05:14 PM / 17-Mar-11 it would be nice to get rid of the distributor (it does get in the way sometimes)... Plus it's getting harder and harder to find consumables for it.


Just another reason to get rid of it, IMO! There's really no downside to it, only excuses. And I know what yours is! lol
seishukuMar 24, 2011, 3:47 pm · #876

Which excuse? I have a lot of them. :lol:

I actually have a little cash, so I'm gonna order the VR sensor... I gotta find a place to get a pigtail connector for it though.


Post Merge: 09:34:35 PM / 24-Mar-11
$40 later... And I have a VR sensor and connector (brand new, of course).
Now to collect parts for a VR signal conditioner.
seishukuMar 25, 2011, 4:41 pm · #877

And a minor change to the reluctor wheel, after a little reading as to what's best to get a clean signal.
(https://i.imgur.com/GcEzaET.jpg)

Larger outside diameter (should come out to the edge of the balancer), taller/narrow teeth.
It's also now 3/8" plate, before it was 1/4".

Big BrotherMar 25, 2011, 11:25 pm · #878

Hope those little teeth give the sensor enough magnetic change to see, they sure look small. The teeth on my EDIS wheel are much larger, if I remember right the output is something like 10 volts AC. I suspect you'll see much less than 10 volts with teeth that small, but it might not matter if the VR circuit in MS is sensitive enough.

seishukuMar 25, 2011, 11:32 pm · #879

From what I've read, it's actually better to have a sharp point, to prevent trigger drifting (too wide of a tooth will cause random triggering as the tooth passes the sensor's magnet).
Though I agree, the tooth should be wide enough to disrupt the magnetic flux and generate enough voltage. With an 1/8" tip, it shouldn't be much of a problem though.

seishukuMar 28, 2011, 7:28 pm · #880

(https://i.imgur.com/RUVvWNw.jpg)

Yay

Now to build the bracket and mount the reluctor ring.

Big BrotherMar 29, 2011, 12:07 am · #881
seishuku on 07:28:42 PM / 28-Mar-11(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/seishuku/vrsensor.jpg)

Yay

Now to build the bracket and mount the reluctor ring.


Douche! I thought you said you didn't like the Ford sensors? I could have just given you one of my spares! Anyway, good luck with it. I hope you finally realize the potential of crank trigger vs distributor setups. Meanwhile instead of doing performance mods on my car, I've been battling oil leaks. My driver's side valve cover was spraying oil all over one of the header primaries for like 2 weeks, and I just yesterday got a chance to fix it. Stupid VW's!

You gonna help me install the water injection when it gets warmer? I got it all planned out... muhahaha!
seishukuMar 29, 2011, 5:08 pm · #882

Heh, oil leaks and VW's go hand in hand. :lol:

I don't like the usual sensor that comes with most EDIS sets, this one is a little more compact.
I know the potential of a crank sensor, it was just easier for me to mod the distributor than having to go through all this, especially when I was just setting up the 'squirt (it was pretty much turn key).

Yeah, bring that thing over... We'll get that tossed in and jack up the boost!


Post Merge: [time]02:52:13 AM / 30-Mar-11 [/time]
Sensor bracket
(https://i.imgur.com/4X7aXo3.jpg)

Pulley
(https://i.imgur.com/fHZLVSX.jpg)

Kinda what it'll look like
(https://i.imgur.com/LfByqgz.jpg)

I'm taking the reluctor wheel into work tomorrow (hopefully I'll have some time on the lathe), and trimming down the teeth a little. I can make it work as is, but it will be much cleaner looking if I cut them down to 1/2" from the 3/4" they are now.

Post Merge: 04:36:33 PM / 30-Mar-11
Much better.
(https://i.imgur.com/F3GLoRv.jpg)
seishukuMar 30, 2011, 10:42 pm · #883

(https://i.imgur.com/YR5rMu4.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/5AYTIcw.jpg)

Just gotta mount the wheel

BattleFairyMar 31, 2011, 12:46 pm · #884

awesome
did you use the 4 tooth gap or a specific angle? how did you set your tdc???

seishukuMar 31, 2011, 3:47 pm · #885

It's 90 degrees (#9 tooth) from the missing tooth.

It's pretty easy to set it up, just set the pulley to the TDC mark then put the 9th tooth under the sensor.

Big BrotherApr 1, 2011, 4:10 pm · #886

Don't forget to shield those VR sensor wires with plenty of tin foil or whatever.

seishukuApr 1, 2011, 4:21 pm · #887

Yeah, I have some shielded twisted pair wire to use on it.

tuhsty s-12Apr 2, 2011, 8:19 pm · #888

NIIICEEEE glad u finally decided to get rid of the distributor.. u'd be much happier... dont u think it might have bin easier/simpler to get a cam angle sensor.. and chip a DET computer?....or megasquirt

seishukuApr 2, 2011, 11:14 pm · #889

Nah, Megasquirt was way easier than tracking down all the DET electronics and pieces. Though I could have just used the CAS in my distributor, it's the same sensor and trigger disc.
But honestly, after spending a few years with Nissan ECUs and the programming on them, I feel way more comfortable with the MegaSquirt.
There just isn't enough documented on how the Nissan stuff works, it's all black magic that no one wants to share and that just pisses me off. Too many "trade secrets."

I will still have the distributor for a little bit though, but that's only because it's my only ignition source right now (internal coil and ignitor), but it won't be handling the triggering.

I do have new ignitor chips on order, so I can rebuild the coil harness and be distributorless.

BattleFairyApr 3, 2011, 3:27 am · #890
seishuku on 04:21:30 PM / 01-Apr-11Yeah, I have some shielded twisted pair wire to use on it.

i use a microphone cable :-)

which coil you gonna use?
seishukuApr 3, 2011, 10:16 am · #891

Aftermarket Ford F150 "coil-near-plug" type coils for the 4.6L (I think) modular engine.
They don't fit quite as well as I would like, bosch coils for VW 1.8T actually fit a lot better in the SR20, but these will do.

XanoApr 3, 2011, 1:26 pm · #892

cars lookin good man, was good to see it in person again.

seishukuApr 3, 2011, 6:05 pm · #893

Thanks :D

Here's the final product:
(https://i.imgur.com/Ilwt2uK.jpg)

Notice, no AC, and no PS pully!
Biggest thing I was worried about was getting the rubber on the pulley too hot and causing it to delaminate, but I was able to take my time and get it all welded, even though it looks like crap... Welding 3/8" plate to cast iron isn't easy.

If I were to redo this, I would pick up an ATI fluid dampener, and make it a bolt-on reluctor ring.

XanoApr 4, 2011, 12:49 am · #894
seishuku on 06:05:12 PM / 03-Apr-11Thanks :D

Here's the final product:
(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/seishuku/2011-04-03175321.jpg)

Notice, no AC, and no PS pully!
Biggest thing I was worried about was getting the rubber on the pulley too hot and causing it to delaminate, but I was able to take my time and get it all welded, even though it looks like crap... Welding 3/8" plate to cast iron isn't easy.

If I were to redo this, I would pick up an ATI fluid dampener, and make it a bolt-on reluctor ring.
heh looks good man, looks like you painted it after the fact too.

Have you tested the thing out prior to welding it in place? (assuming yes, im betting you did a few spot welds to test, then full welded it after checking
seishukuApr 4, 2011, 12:14 pm · #895

I did a quick sensor test, but no I didn't have the megasquirt running on it.
Even if it isn't quite where I wanted it, I can fix that by changing the trigger angle in MS... so its not a huge deal if its of a little.

seishukuApr 6, 2011, 9:32 pm · #896

(https://i.imgur.com/gc7aiNR.jpg)
Let's see if I can manage to not blow these ones up this time...
Also got my VR sensor conditioner chip.

seishukuApr 11, 2011, 3:59 pm · #897

It's not pretty, but it should work. Hopefully going to test it out soon.
(https://i.imgur.com/AkGUNrr.jpg)

seishukuApr 13, 2011, 6:46 pm · #898

APPARENTLY my fuel pressure was set to 70PSI and not 60PSI like it should have been (thanks Nick for fuel pressure gauge!), so I think that might have been a cause of a lot of my odd tuning issues that I've been having.

My new max duty cycle:
(https://i.imgur.com/RtJQfx5.png)

97% is still really high, BUT that's with a 9:1 AFR and before readjusted the fuel table... So it should be a lot lower than that.

Oh, and ignore the max values on DC and MAT, there were some comm glitches that screwed up those values.

Edit:
Oh, this all means I'm using all of the 528CC/min injector, which means I'm still making a buttload of power... How much exactly? I have no idea.

Big BrotherApr 14, 2011, 11:54 pm · #899
seishukuthanks Nick for fuel pressure gauge!


No biggie, I wasn't using it anyway.

97% is still really high, BUT that's with a 9:1 AFR and before readjusted the fuel table... So it should be a lot lower than that.

Agreed. You can pull a whole 2 points of AFR out and still be very safe, and the engine will run much better in the process. When there's that much fuel, it just slows the engine down. After you lean it out, it should rev a lot cleaner and pull harder under boost. MPG will also go up, but who really cares about that right? lol

Anyhow, you should buy the full version of Tuner Studio if you haven't already. I'm hearing very positive things about VE analyzer live, I should get it myself.
seishukuApr 15, 2011, 3:56 pm · #900

Yeah, I've been meaning to buy that for awhile now. I used it for the initial tune, when he had the real-time stuff for free. Very cool piece of software.
I still use megatune logs and megalogviewer to do a lot of tuning too, since that has the ve analyser as well.