STERLING LIVES!
I know this though because you FB messaged me but still STERLING LIVES
Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects
Matt's S12
200sxkitcar on 11:51:05 PM / 27-Mar-14Still doing awesome shit I see keep it up man!!Thanks!
A few small upgrades...
New brake hoses!
(https://i.imgur.com/fuDZYkf.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/WmQQOxD.jpg)
Old ones were getting crusty, and lord knows if they've ever been replaced.
(https://i.imgur.com/Lj7oaQd.jpg)
They're Techna-Fit brand, number NIS-1150 if anyone is interested.
Obviously the fronts fit, I'm not 100% sure on the rear though, I seem to recall that those seal with a copper washer and these lines appear to be inverted flare... BUT I think if I add a copper washer, it'll work... It's been a long time since I last went poking in the rear (huh huh).
And, some ECU awesomeness:
(https://i.imgur.com/89evGNc.jpg)
A Megasquirt 2 CPU, so far it's done WONDERS for my idle and cruising quality... AFRs are nice and steady, before they would jump around quite a bit due to my largish injectors.
All courtesy of my Brother, for the work I've been doing on the Beetle.
And, since I now have a more flexible microcontroller for my ECU, I can do this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdG7Q3NL6Ss
A 3 wire serial (SPI) LED display, wired into 3 available processor output pins and add my display control code to the MegaSquirt source!
I even have it set up so that I can change what data parameter is displayed.
How much did the brake lines go for?
$115, free shipping too (I think)
MS,cool stuff...I think your the first here to adapt to 200sx,i'll be following this........I get plenty of water vapor as well, some days worse than others with the weather/outside temps ..i wouldn't worry to much if nothing is missing.
seishuku on 10:47:50 PM / 09-Apr-14Engine keeps building a bunch of condensation, I'm getting a lot in my catch bottle... It's pure water, not coolant (no taste at all). Where the hell is all this water coming from!? It's a short drive to work every morning, but I always let it finish warming up (usually wait until oil pressure is about 30PSI at idle), and the same when I get home. That should be enough to "burn off" any condensation. It's not enough water to turn the sump oil milky, but I get mayo under the fill cap, out the valve cover vent, and at the PCV valve. It actually produces an almost alarming amount of steam.
Operative word being 'should' be enough to burn it off.
We just came out of the cold season, so change your oil if you haven't already. It's likely that you have a lot of water in the crank case, built up from never getting hot enough for the last 5 months or so. Now that the engine can actually get hot, you're seeing all that water get released from its slumber. Remember: water temp is not oil temp, just because the coolant got hot doesn't mean the oil followed suit. In my Corvair the heads never got above about 200*F during winter, which for an air cooled engine is stone cold. The air doors never opened, and the heater sucked. Same thing happened, I had to change the oil when it got warmer outside and there was mayo everywhere. The VW actually clogged all its breather lines with mayo one year, I had to take them off the engine and whip twirl them around to get it all out! Mayo=not enough heat, so go out to I-90 and burn it out.
Well cold idle oil pressure is 80PSI, so down to 30PSI is fairly warmed up. My water temp is up to 180f by the time oil pressure is down to 50PSI.
Anyway, today it all seems worse, and it's blowing smoke out the valve breather when cold, so it's not only water vapor, but also exhaust gas. :grumpy:
Cylinder leakdown didn't seem enough to cause THAT much combustion leak, but it's also not drawing in oil either, so I don't know what's doing on there.
On a lighter note, I got the new brake hoses installed in the rear now, they fit perfectly and as I suspected I had to reuse the copper crush washer.
(https://i.imgur.com/xlePOjZ.jpg)
Which means it's head gasket time again, or the head is cracked...
You can't catch a break, can you?
Go air cooled, no head gaskets! lol
I guess not.
It's not the head gasket though, the other cylinders are a solid seal, no oil leaking, no coolant leaking. It's just rings on #1.
I wonder if something got in there and gouged up the bore wall and that's where it's blowing by, but I would think that would have made noise.
I thought about a VW motor in there, not exactly a quick fix for my current problem though... I guess I'll just have to deal with it for now, and maybe keep an eye out for a decent/cheap S14 SR20 long block or something.
Blowby, eh? Sure you don't have a cracked ring/bad lands? I think Harbor Freight sells a cheap borescope with a light, maybe have a look-see down #1 plug hole to confirm?
It's possible I guess, but there's usually bad noises associated with that... it doesn't sound any different than usual.
I'll have to see if I can get a scope and take a look...
lol, as long as it don't leave you stranded at some point what's the harm I guess.
Update on the Dodge: went through 2 recon heads with a place based in Texas, but they both had issues I wasn't comfortable with. First one had a small crack in one of the water passages, this recent one had some welding done to the intake ports (probably to fix cracks) and they didn't do the machine work correctly. There was a gap under both the new intake seats, so I don't think they went into the casting all the way. That and a generally unfinished look to the welding repair itself, like not using a die grinder at all to clean it up and blend back the port wall, was enough to turn me away. They claim that when they machined the counterbore for the new oversize seats it leaves a small step from the old counterbore, but I was able to insert a thin piece of metal across the entire width of the seat so I don't trust it. Not like they are going to pay the mechanic for his work when it drops a seat...
Long story short I found an old post from last year on a forum where a guy was selling an NOS cylinder head for only $260 shipped, he still had it so it's on it's way from Oregon now. That plus a new T3 to replace the tiny TE04H Dodge decided to foist upon this great engine, and I should be ready to rock soon. Now I just need an intercooler...
Damn, 2 bad heads? Sounds like a shop to avoid in the future. :lol:
$260 for a brand new head sounds like a hell of a deal though.
MegaSquirt display part 2!
http://youtu.be/qqdF7Ks2VH4
That's on my MSP430 LaunchPad (kinda like an Arduino), but shouldn't take much effort to port that code to the MegaSquirt like I did with the first display.
Cool stuff. I'm currently working on a arduino consult display/data logger. If I had a megasquirt I'd like something like this as well.
That's how this started, it was going to be a digital interface display for my Innovate wideband (no analog signal loss), but displaying MegaSquirt data is just as good.
Here it is running on the MegaSquirt:
http://youtu.be/pJhWr3sL1ks
These displays are ridiculously easy to use, they use one 74hc595 (shift register) per display and passes overflow data on to the next chip, so all you need to do is send out one byte per digit... In this case, 16 bytes.
I was a little worried about overtaxing the MS processor, I know these microcontrollers can be lacking in available clock cycles, but it seems to be taking it ok (even with bit-banging the SPI data).
That looks SO awesome lol I love it
Well... The engine is done, or is it that I'm done with it? Either way.
It's been having a little blow-by issues on #1, manageable, it wasn't burning oil... Then one day while cruising, big cloud of black smoke, super rich... Now it smokes and burns oil.
I thought an injector was messed up and #1 was getting worse, but apparently not...
This was nearly 3 weeks ago.
Apparently, that cloud wasn't an injector, nor was it #1... It was #3.
Must have popped a ring-land, or broke a ring... Because tonight I finally got around to pulling spark plugs, #1 was a touch lean, #2 looked good, #4 looked good, #3 completely soaked in oil, though seems not enough to completely foul out the plug because it was still able to light off somehow (thus the burning oil and rich AFR).
Not that it matters if it's #1 or #3 that's jacked up, it's done, I've parked it and now have a nice cheap 2002 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2 as a daily driver.
damn thats a bummer
That sux bro!
Here's the (potential) answer come tax time:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-SKYLINE-R32-GTS-TURBO-ENGINE-AUTO-TRANS-ECU-SILVIA-240SX-JDM-RB20DET-/271577716098?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f3b4b1582&vxp=mtr
Know something I don't? :lol:
That's not a bad deal, I would have to source a trans or bell housing for it... In the end it'll still have the same crummy FS5W71C transmission behind it...
I think if I ever had to replace that trans again, I'll have to go with a FS5R30A from a TT 300ZX... The old W71C's just don't hold enough power.
Slushbox comes with it, give your clutch foot a break for a while! Might not be as fun as rowing, but that didn't take away anything from my buddy's R33 Skyline back in Italy.
Eh, the only "auto" I'd ever like is a double clutch (DSG), but even those are more manual than slushbox.
Besides, the Audi's got an auto (which will probably be swapped before too long).
It also means I'd need a custom prop shaft (of course I would need one with the R30A trans too), but those auto boxes aren't known for their power handling capabilities either.
You waiting for taxes or what? Don't tell me you've gone to the kraut side now... Not that there's anything wrong with that!
No one seems to want to buy it... So maybe I'll get around to modifying the S13 rear multilink suspension to it, and maybe yank the engine and strip it down.
I donno what to do with it... I know I'm getting tired of moving it in and out of the garage when I need to do work on the Audi or anything else! :lol:
i was gonna buy it next year and was all set to do it then i went and got a 08 wrx....make it into a race or rally car there's a local rally cross track in Rockford
Hard to believe it's been 5 years since I sold the car... Anyway, since Photobucket sucks the big one, I had pulled all my pictures/videos and deleted my account.
I've gone through the thread and fixed my posts that had broken Photobucket links, but apparently the forum during one of the many software updates must have removed some image embeds... So there are still some spots where there should be pictures.
I didn't take the time to sift through my pics to figure out what went there, but if someone wants a specific picture, I can try to find the one that goes there.
It was a sad trip down memory lane, especially those last few before I parked it... Just didn't have the income to keep dumping into it, that's life though!
Yeah man. I know what you mean. This is the last year for me. If I can't get mine on the road this year I'm done.
8SixS12 on 05:15:48 PM / 24-Oct-19
Yeah man. I know what you mean. This is the last year for me. If I can't get mine on the road this year I'm done.
Whats left to get it on the road?