Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Matt's S12

Started by seishuku · Aug 3, 2007 · 1232postsInvision 2005–09SMF 2010–26

seishukuJul 9, 2013, 4:22 pm · #1151

Yeah, its not a big deal... I actually have it set up more or less how I have the sr20... Just pulls the crank sensor and fires the coils directly, no edis for now.
Was just easier that way since I have spare coil drivers, plus I didn't have to modify my MS to run edis.

Figure out what seats you're going to use?

Edit:
Oh, I did some high speed and low speed pulls, trying to get things as hot as I can... Highest logged MAT was 124F (at intercooler outlet).
Not too bad, not sure I want to know what that is directly out of the compressor though.

Big BrotherJul 20, 2013, 5:55 pm · #1152

Muhahahahaha!

(http://miniman82.4t.com/car%20stuff/IMGP6241.JPG)

On it's way to you when I get back from this next boat det.

seishukuJul 20, 2013, 10:27 pm · #1153

Yeah, Casey showed me the pic on Facebook... It'll look nice on my SR...  :devilsidesmile:

Is that one with a straight dischage, or does it have the wastegate port next to the turbine like some T3s?

Big BrotherJul 20, 2013, 11:52 pm · #1154

It's odd, 5-bolt but no WG hole.

seishukuJul 26, 2013, 4:52 pm · #1155

A little throttle idea I've been kicking around...
(https://i.imgur.com/TcxTYsg.png)
(https://i.imgur.com/zOZSCMD.png)
http://youtu.be/8jgIwsW0yyk

It's designed to bolt in between the lower intake manifold and the upper plenum, so it doesn't permanently modify anything.
Need to work out linkage and return spring though, hard part is going to be making the spacer to precisely space the upper and lower plates so that the slide plate seals and slides easy.

seishukuJul 27, 2013, 6:04 pm · #1156

Took some high res scans of the plenum flange, so I can do really accurate virtual measurements and make a CAD drawing... Lets see what I can get done on this. :lol:

While I had the plenum off, I did a few mods that I've been meaning to do:
(https://i.imgur.com/9ejJAiw.jpg)
Removed the dumb press in vacuum tubes, tapped for 1/8" NPT.

JayJul 29, 2013, 11:21 pm · #1157

That's really kind of awkward man. Binding will probably be an issue.

seishukuJul 30, 2013, 4:32 pm · #1158

Nah, flat plate and careful machining is the key.

MasterSpazezJul 31, 2013, 10:36 am · #1159

What is the gain??

seishukuJul 31, 2013, 12:12 pm · #1160

Same thing as ITBs, just a different way of doing it... the end result is also a straight air path, unlike butterfly throttles.
Post Merge


(https://i.imgur.com/Q3HogBC.jpg)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnEaKvYyUAI

Motion is a little rough, that's because those parts are straight off the waterjet, I haven't deburred or polished anything yet.
seishukuAug 1, 2013, 6:19 pm · #1161

Getting there, need a little hardware for the linkage and a nice hefty spring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-1Aw4j_kE
Post Merge


(https://i.imgur.com/t0Q74I0.jpg)
Not a lot of room, going to have to reroute fuel hoses a bit.
seishukuAug 3, 2013, 12:20 pm · #1162

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5obbPWcG4s

sideways_s12Aug 3, 2013, 4:36 pm · #1163

Nice! Is there going to be an increase in power or just better air fuel mixture...

seishukuAug 3, 2013, 5:18 pm · #1164

Its the equivalent of running a 75MM throttle body, so there will be less restriction... so maybe pick up 15bhp.
Its more for the cool factor than anything.

sideways_s12Aug 3, 2013, 5:35 pm · #1165

ahh ok...

sideways_s12Aug 3, 2013, 9:28 pm · #1166

that's always nice

Big BrotherAug 10, 2013, 8:32 pm · #1167

How are you going to keep boost from escaping, is it just machined finely enough to not be a problem? Interesting idea, but cranking up the boost seems more economical...

sideways_s12Aug 10, 2013, 10:37 pm · #1168

quit fucking around and get some numbers also buy some damn injectors already lol

seishukuAug 11, 2013, 12:28 am · #1169

:lol:
I know, I've been wanting to get on a dyno for quite some time... but every time I think I'm gonna something comes up.

seishukuSep 25, 2013, 12:19 pm · #1170

(https://i.imgur.com/YCJylBc.jpg)
Finally got around to finishing my oil port adapter, now I just need a filter housing with thermostat, a cooler, and hoses.

seishukuOct 16, 2013, 9:17 pm · #1171

(https://i.imgur.com/jiGW0lO.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/9Y2tUos.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/pUbFpq1.jpg)

IggyEGuanaOct 17, 2013, 2:45 am · #1172

holy crap dude. damn wish i wouldve kept up with your thread. you've been busy. I saw the slide plate setup on a 4 rotor build thread that was making the rounds a little while ago. sick as fuck. cant believe you cut those splines on a water jet either. i didnt realive they could do that kind of detail work. Hows the car drive with the slide?

seishukuOct 17, 2013, 6:53 am · #1173

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure if the jet was going to be too big to get that small of a spline, but it does just barely.

I actually haven't drove the car with the throttle on yet, I'm having a hell of a time finding a longer center bolt for the plenum... I think I'm just going to have to make one (haven't had time).

IggyEGuanaOct 17, 2013, 11:55 am · #1174

http://www.rx7club.com/build-threads-294/4-rotor-fc-build-974831/
Post Merge


not sure what page the slide throttle is first shown but its a great build thread
Post Merge
from page 58 just so you know the level of awesome i mean

(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-EVe-2j_94PM/Ui5N1j7fCWI/AAAAAAAAC_U/mS-2_RulGg0/w1127-h845-no/CIMG3735.JPG)
Post Merge
heres a shot of the sliding plate. he changed from a teflon plate to an alum one with little roller bearings

(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CTrq7flGnUQ/UfmG4EEla2I/AAAAAAAAC24/aWhoCS1qkbo/w1127-h845-no/CIMG3581.JPG)
Post Merge
http://www.rx7club.com/build-threads-294/4-rotor-fc-build-974831/page57/#post11535322
seishukuOct 17, 2013, 7:34 pm · #1175

That's a pretty good idea using bearings like that, too bad I don't have enough room to do something like that.

seishukuOct 24, 2013, 9:04 pm · #1176

Had to scrap the first try, the top wasn't long enough... And I made it a little wider.

(https://i.imgur.com/NcNgxUm.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/uKMCl3H.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/iwg0mYg.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/WBHiMI8.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/Jtw3MT3.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/miSJ13W.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/8eyNJ4U.jpg)

Just gotta finish the rest of the upper brackets and move the gauges into the new dash... Then figure out how I want to finish it.

I'm thinking probably seal it and smooth it out, then some mat black.

IggyEGuanaOct 24, 2013, 9:18 pm · #1177

what you dont like 80s super sci-fi plastic everything dashes?

seishukuOct 24, 2013, 9:39 pm · #1178

Oh, I love the factory dash... If I had one. :lol:
I can't find one that isn't utterly ruined, so just easier to make one.

RomeroOct 24, 2013, 9:54 pm · #1179

glad i got to see this car in person

seishukuOct 25, 2013, 6:48 pm · #1180

All done for now

(https://i.imgur.com/mIct9th.jpg)

Things to do:
Center console for switches.
Figure out how to lay out the holes for the defogger vent.
Cover or paint the dash.
???
Profit!

seishukuOct 27, 2013, 7:44 pm · #1181

Modified the defogger manifold, removed the very end vents that used to be for the door windows.
(https://i.imgur.com/e4663Vq.jpg)

And figured out the vent holes
(https://i.imgur.com/Oy6nUim.jpg)

Got the pieces cut for the center console, but.... I forgot pics.

sideways_s12Nov 2, 2013, 9:13 pm · #1182

What is that around the shifter on the trans tunnel? did you use rivets or screws?

seishukuNov 2, 2013, 10:09 pm · #1183

They're stainless self-tapping sheet metal screw, holds the rubber down nice and tight.

sideways_s12Nov 3, 2013, 12:40 am · #1184

nice where did you get the rubber I need something like that!
Post Merge


seishuku on 05:00:37 PM / 31-Oct-13Boost control... Again. :lol:
For the last time, I think.

I pulled out the apexi avcr, as nice as electronic boost control is, there's just way too much work tuning it just for something that should be simple.
I may go back to electronic later on, but it'll be under MegaSquirt control.

Anyway, I have a 5LB spring in the wastegate, which obviously gives me about 5PSI boost...
So what I do is plumb the boost source into the bottom port of the wastegate, then I tee into that line with a air pressure regulator set to about 10PSI and connected to the top port of the wastegate which puts counter pressure and acts as an air spring along with the actual spring.

Result? Consistent boost pressure, as if I replaced the spring... Only I can add as much boost as I want.

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/seishuku/20131031_160830.jpg)

My only complaint is that the boost gain isn't as fast as you can get with an electronic setup, but boost does still come up quick... Just isn't a quick snap to full boost like it was. (which actually might be a good thing for my axles and trans!)

You should make and sell these I'd buy one!
seishukuNov 3, 2013, 1:02 am · #1185

Not really anything to make, it's just a basic compressed air regulator, much like this one:
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/62383583

The rubber was just some material I had laying around, nothing special... Not sure where you could get some locally, but maybe Fastenal?

sideways_s12Nov 3, 2013, 8:38 pm · #1186

Damn I'll have to check around I really need something to keep exhaust gases out of the cabin and the big hole where my shifter is located doesn't help lol

sideways_s12Nov 8, 2013, 3:53 pm · #1187

You think I could find that rubber mat at a hardware store?

seishukuNov 8, 2013, 4:12 pm · #1188

Probably not industrial rubber sheet like what I got, but I'm sure you could find something that will work... Like maybe an all weather floor mat or something.

sideways_s12Nov 8, 2013, 4:16 pm · #1189

hmm... ok

seishukuJan 12, 2014, 4:54 pm · #1190

(https://i.imgur.com/9Z0XhcA.jpg)
Made my own decal... the wife just had to get one of those cutting machines, unfortunately its a cricut one that doesn't let you cut your own graphics (has to be something from their art/font collection), so the font isn't correct but its close.
I don't think it came out too bad.
Post Merge


Yay, new starter!
(https://i.imgur.com/3V8vinT.jpg)

Now maybe I can get some reliable starts for a change.
seishukuFeb 4, 2014, 3:50 pm · #1191

Jesus H. Christ... Just one thing after another... First the starter, then my rear main seal is getting worse, then spark plug well gasket starts pissing oil, now the T3 turbo's oil seals are going (though I guess that's not a big surprise).
On top of that, all this really fucking cold weather is doing a number on my oil, causing all kinds of water build up and the shit ton of steam from the water boiling off is causing a lot of oil to blow out the valve cover vent... Either that or I got a crap load of blow-by (need to do a compression test).

UGH... I think I need to look for a back up engine or something, that or just get a new(er) car.

Big BrotherFeb 4, 2014, 9:49 pm · #1192

That turbo never leaked a drop since I've had it, gotta be something else wrong like water in the oil or excessive pressure.

seishukuFeb 5, 2014, 12:16 pm · #1193

Well its definitely leaking oil past the turbine seal, its got oil coming out at the center section... I gotta pull it to see if its blowing more into the exhaust.
I'm pushing it harder than you were though too, so it doesn't surprise me too much.
Weird thing though, it wasn't leaking this morning when I left for work... so maybe some coked oil broke off and wedged the seal a bit and then came out. Not very likely, but could happen.

There is some water in the oil though, I've been battling excessive condensation since we've been having this super cold weather.
Its at least not coolant anyway, doesn't taste like anything.

Post Merge


(https://i.imgur.com/fxzYKZF.jpg)
seishukuFeb 11, 2014, 3:51 pm · #1194

Ok, so I figured out that it doesn't give me the big cloud of smoke if I stay out of boost (been super cold again for the past few weeks)...
Now today just a little before I get home, I give it the full beans... Pulls hard as fuck like it should (never had any issues there), but no smoke (other than the usual visible vapor from it being cold).

Now, my oil may have been a little warmer than it was before when it was blowing oil/smoke... what at the chances that being cold that my oil pressure was too high and it was just pushing oil past the turbine seals?
I know that with as cold as it is, I really need to be running 5w30, but I'm too close to my oil change interval to go thinner now (plus we have warmer weather on the horizon now, finally).

I'm thinking maybe I need to change to 5w30 full time, then get an oil cooler so the hot summer weather doesn't cook everything.

And yes, I do have an oil restrictior installed at the turbo, though it's not the recommended .035" (I think), it's a loose 1/16"... Although the T25 never complained about over oiling.

I donno, maybe it's just a mix of things and it's just all adding up and causing problems...

BasicFeb 11, 2014, 6:52 pm · #1195

i think you are probably correct in your mix of things.

What do your oil pressures look like (if you have that hooked up)?

Could you maybe try a different restrictor and see if that helps? Not too terribly expensive if that's all it is.

seishukuFeb 11, 2014, 8:25 pm · #1196

Lately I've been seeing 85PSI cold... I've seen 100+PSI before though (gauge maxes at 100psi).

I have the correct restrictor for the the turbo, .060", the .035" was for ball bearing turbos... But maybe I'm over the normal expected pressure even with the restrictor.

BasicFeb 11, 2014, 11:53 pm · #1197

Man that's some high pressures. Is it really going to warm up that much that soon where you are? I know here in OK its kind of a pain because as an example we may have 70 degree weather one week and be in the teens the next. That's how it has been this winter anyway. Last week we had lows down in the low teens, and this weekend its supposed to be up near 70. Big swing in temps.

Big BrotherFeb 12, 2014, 12:43 am · #1198

Your oil pressure is way too high. You're wrong for not already having 5W-30 or even 0W-20 in the crankcase during the cold winter months, I doubt the turbo is to blame here. Most likely the cold oil is like molasses and is backing up in the drain line, it's gotta go somewhere so it's seeping out the turbine seal. Out of curiosity what are you running now, please don't say 15W-40 or something heavier...

seishukuFeb 12, 2014, 3:55 pm · #1199

Yeah, the next few coming days it's supposed to climb into the upper 20's, then hopefully the next few weeks it'll make it into the 40's.

Ha, I don't even think my crank would even turn with 15w40 in there... No, I normally run 10w30, but normally it doesn't get this cold here either, except for maybe a few weeks in the middle of winter where it's -10 or whatever... But it's been like that for the past two months!
Remember, this isn't SBC where you could fit your fingernail between the crank and the bearings, it's pretty tight... But again, normally 10w30 is correct for our weather here, but this wasn't a normal winter.

200sxkitcarMar 27, 2014, 11:51 pm · #1200

Still doing awesome shit I see keep it up man!!