Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Project: Fairlady Silvia - 1987 200sx SEv6...

Started by Wonderingraven · Jun 1, 2011 · 909postsSMF 2010–26

WonderingravenJan 28, 2021, 1:16 am · #801

Raven is easier, but *Wondering* I am a thinker, hacker if you will. =)
I am not aimlessly moving around. lol

Megasquirt 3 is in today with the wiring harnesses as soon as I turn key start this up, I will be sourcing out someone to finally do up a set of headers.  Might schedule a time with best mufflers or something.

WonderingravenJan 30, 2021, 6:11 pm · #802

I am building a huge how to documentation on the whole MS3x wire up for the vg30de swap.  seems that this whole guide is lacking everywhere especially in the 300zx / z32 world.
I am rewiring the whole eFan's to let MS3 handle it including the fuel pump.

posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image

WonderingravenFeb 15, 2021, 6:02 pm · #803
posted image
Alright more work progress has been done.  I had to rethink the whole ecu processes.
There is no ignition input to trigger the ecu like if it was a dizzy setup, so I had to remove all thoughts on installing anytype of ignition starting.

Of course I attempted to start the car to test the input from the starter verifying that it does turn and it does! just ecu has no idea on what to do yet, so I am learning what Tunerstudio has to offer. This is where I shine as I do alot of RTFM.
I went through and verified alot of wiring.

I think the headlight switch in this car is broken as all I get if consistent brakes and the mod for the brakes under brake pedal aaaa
sideways_s12Feb 16, 2021, 9:14 pm · #804

Nice! How far are from firing and idiling?

WonderingravenFeb 17, 2021, 1:03 am · #805

Trying to get a base tune for the vg30de/rb25 to work from I am still rather new to MS3.

MaxFeb 18, 2021, 11:38 am · #806

Can't wait for this thing to be finished.  If I ever felt the need to swap the vg33 out, this is what I would do... would probably try to keep it simpler though with stock vg trans and electronics.  Very cool swap regardless!

WonderingravenFeb 25, 2021, 5:05 pm · #807

it took 2 shims to get this to actually work right. JWT recommend using the Twin Turbo automatic bellhousing that is super rare to find in vegas and outskirts... so instead of 1 it needed 2 shims
here is what I mean https://www.z1motorsports.com/transmission-driveline/ramey/starter-shim-plate-p-2945.html

It starts, needs a correct tune and exhaust so I am building some from 2 different exhausts, modifying both the j30's exhaust and the s12's Y pipe. creating something for now.
posted image

This exhaust is temp anyways until this is fully done and drivable, in the future this will be upgraded to a twinturbo setup.

JonBMar 3, 2021, 8:08 pm · #808

Nice work. That's a pretty epic feat squeezing that in there.

WonderingravenMar 4, 2021, 12:01 am · #809

Been troubleshooting some wiring, but
here is what I am doing so far.

posted image
posted image
posted image

sideways_s12Mar 6, 2021, 11:37 am · #810

What are you hosting your pics on to beable to post them here?

WonderingravenMar 6, 2021, 12:13 pm · #811

I, being a small business owner of various projects, I use a personal car blog I've created.
I call it TougeSW, https://tougesw.com
Recently I've found and had to bring back from the dead was TougeNW https://tougenw.com

Shameless plug time:
I have been doing webhosting / designing / graphic designing on the side since 1999 turned it into a business as of 2004 and called it -> DorkMedia https://dorkmedia.com
I started my career in IT by being a blackhat hacker turned good in 1999 -> started up WRNET and recently turned focus on a product / services called WRNet:Sec (Cyber Security Fused IT Service Management) https://sec.wonderingraven.net
Turned my RavenPC to focus on custom computer sales at https://ravenpc.com

WonderingravenMar 8, 2021, 10:58 am · #812

Having someone double check the ECU to see why I am only pulling 7v from the battery, or why the ecu is only reporting 7v out of 12v, causing alot of errors writing to the ecu.  Verified the battery is pulling 12v.

MaxMar 8, 2021, 1:15 pm · #813

Quick question: Is the vg30de a front sump oil pan? For some reason I thought it was a rear sump, but don't remember reading anything about that in this thread.

WonderingravenMar 8, 2021, 1:42 pm · #814

Max on 01:15:28 PM / 08-Mar-21Quick question: Is the vg30de a front sump oil pan? For some reason I thought it was a rear sump, but don't remember reading anything about that in this thread.

Infiniti j30 has the front sump pan while the 300zx (z32) has the rear sump.
MaxMar 8, 2021, 2:43 pm · #815

Gotcha! So that's the one to have then... I just modified an oil pan/pickup during my vg33e swap and I absolutely hated it.

WonderingravenMar 22, 2021, 12:04 am · #816

Not getting power from the PTU so I figured it's time to just dive into a more direct approach and conver it to Audi R8 coils.  Eliminating the whole this coil plug might be bad or igniter...

Megasquirt is all together and it's ready or damn near.

WonderingravenApr 12, 2021, 6:41 pm · #817

Moved to Audi A6 coils due to the resistance is different and MS3 requires high resistance.

Still can't get it to start, and it's wired up as per MS3...

sideways_s12Apr 13, 2021, 11:13 pm · #818

The new coils don't work either? What was wrong with the stock coils?

WonderingravenApr 14, 2021, 12:38 am · #819

wanted to delete the PTU to eliminate another point of failure.

The Audi coils conversion is a beneficial upgrade.

sideways_s12Apr 18, 2021, 3:56 pm · #820

Oh ok

WonderingravenApr 18, 2021, 11:17 pm · #821

After rewiring it yet again, I am going to attempt to wire in the oem vg30de z32 harness and see if I can get it to fire from there first.

WonderingravenApr 28, 2021, 4:40 pm · #822

Narrowed it all the way down to my fuel pump not even pulling 1 PSI anymore. This old walbro255 finally died after many years of service.
This time, I heard nothing but good stuff from DW200 for years so lets go!

WonderingravenMay 1, 2021, 8:25 pm · #823

New pump finally came in, got pressure and now I am covered in fuel today, will pick up tomorrow. (a clamp was broken and fuel got sprayed all over me. )

WonderingravenMay 13, 2021, 6:21 pm · #824

found that the hydralic bearing for the timing belt broke (old + rust, IE: OEM?)  and it skipped 3 teeth..
so I am just waiting for my order from Rockauto on the replacement of all the tensioner pullies. (3 all together) to prevent future incidents.

Also I got my DW200 in and works wonderful.

WonderingravenMay 19, 2021, 12:35 am · #825

got more of the motor back together, the 3 tensioners replaced including the hydraulic one.

Going slow because I ripped my abs with a daily workout, I over extended my abs portion and finish tearing them up on a bicycle ride around the area.
It's really hard to stand / sit down and I can't lay down all day either.

WonderingravenJun 15, 2021, 11:40 am · #826

Reworking some of the wiring, doing testing and verification with Tunerstudio it's been hard to do  as we are under a heat wave and it's hitting over 115f+ this week on the plus side I am on a mini vacation from my current job.

WonderingravenJun 19, 2021, 9:57 pm · #827

After trying so many different part numbers from the junk yard I Cannot find the magic one that will work with Megasquirt 3x, so I am going back to the PTU / OEM vg30de style. Since I've fixed the timing issue, I should be able to fix this spark issue using OEM.

I am in need of the door hardware for manual windows, I am tired of the electric motor window setup especially since my electric stuff is broken beyond repair and I have to use a penny to up and down each window.

sideways_s12Jun 22, 2021, 10:52 pm · #828

Manual windows is the way to do go honestly lighter and no future worries of the stuff not working.

WonderingravenAug 29, 2021, 12:19 am · #829

Love to go the route for manual, maybe if there was something like pathfinder or something that year that would or usable as a replacement.
Turns out my issue was the driver side switch, I have yet to get a replacement as I heard the pathfinder is a good replacement.  My current one shattered and fell apart into dust so it became useless for me from this point.

Engine wise, I still can't get it to start even on starting fluid. So I gotta get more fuel maybe this weekend or this week and do some other testing to figure wtf is going on. As per MS3x it should fire and as per fsm the timing is on point.
Sooo I am confused right now as it *should fire* 

sideways_s12Aug 29, 2021, 8:08 pm · #830

Damn man all this trouble your having. why not go with a vg33et good for 400hp and you have all the stuff you need sans maybe the turbo stuff...

WonderingravenAug 29, 2021, 9:09 pm · #831

I was thinking of reverting back to vg33 or vg34s but evertime I go look for any vg's there isn't one available.

WonderingravenSep 6, 2021, 12:22 pm · #832

Narrowed it down to my injectors just simply not getting power.

I stopped from there because the heat got to me yesterday and the dust killing my sinuses

WonderingravenOct 27, 2021, 5:30 pm · #833

about as much as I like to, I am going to hit on plan-b.
VG feels like an awesome powerhouse....

PlanB is sitting outside my bedroom window an low milage KA24E, I just found a whole write up getting the ms3x to work with this including when I go turbo with it.
In which I will be doing so... so If running a gen1 cas from an 300zx doesn't resolve the issue, plan b will be in full effect.  I just need to source an 4cyl cross member before I install.

I just ordered a pathfinder window switch, pitty it rained really bad here a few days ago and any cover that was on it was destroyed from the high winds, So I gotta clean out the inside.

I might reinstall the brake booster over the BBE kit I've got, as I do not like how the brakes feel with running this.

WonderingravenNov 1, 2021, 12:17 am · #834

A quick change of plans, I am putting in the CA18DET nistune ready in.
After a year of struggling with getting the vg30de to fire with megasquirt, I am going with CA18DET

iceagegNov 3, 2021, 7:36 am · #835

Sorry to hear it, but at least you will soon be on the road with a winning combination!

WonderingravenNov 3, 2021, 2:22 pm · #836

yeah, forsure.  it will no longer be an sev6 but on the other side,  it will be near perfect balanced now with more powah.

sideways_s12Nov 9, 2021, 12:01 pm · #837

Ca18det is def the way to 4cyl wise I'd keep it but I want to go Turbo LS I'm thinking I want a gymkhana car to hoon on the streets with. something fun and fast.

sideways_s12Nov 10, 2021, 2:20 pm · #838

Yeah..it will definetly fly might wanna go with a better turbo when the funds let you but everything is pretty solid. I just need to find someone selling a tahoe or something for cheap. The shop where the talon is at has a gremlin that's getting a LS swap and the owner got a tahoe for 800 dollars. it might be easier to find a cheap truck someone is selling than to scower the junkyard for it.

MaxNov 10, 2021, 3:53 pm · #839
Wonderingraven on 12:17:59 AM / 01-Nov-21A quick change of plans, I am putting in the CA18DET nistune ready in.
After a year of struggling with getting the vg30de to fire with megasquirt, I am going with CA18DET

Wouldn't it be easier just to find a factory ecu and harness and get the thing running like an OEM engine? I know the CA is not a hard swap, but you're already soooo close with the VG!
WonderingravenNov 10, 2021, 4:03 pm · #840

I couldn't find one, no one had one willing to part with and people wanted too much on eBay for the harness... and last time I took an ebay ecu they sent me a burned up one claiming it works.
It smelled like burned electronics and the ecu board had some burn marks so that was an $120 wasted.

I wished it was a few years ago, I would of grabbed a few harnesses / ecu's when they where in the yards. (there hasn't been a z32 for the past few years) and the j30 harness is beyond insane to use (super over complicated to remove and rewire)

Plus, it's already pulled and removed now. I am setting up the w71c back in place now only thing I gotta do now is pull and install the motor.

I am going to use the ms3x on the VQ35HR S/C'd for my brothers s130.

MaxNov 10, 2021, 4:30 pm · #841

Wow that's a bummer.  I hear yah. So much stuff that was worthless a few years ago is commanding big prices and/or completely unavailable today. 

Just curious, what's so complicated about the J30 harness? The thought has crossed my mind to buy a junky $800 J30 just to take the engine from, but the 3.3 has been completely solid for me so far.

Good luck with the CA18DET anyways.  That is one of my favorite engines ever, and easily my favorite Nissan 4 cyl... It's yet another one I wish motorsets were still available for $1500 all day long. I wanted one when I was 18, but bought the RB20DET instead because it was the same price.  Never quite got to scratch the CA18 itch though unfortunately.

WonderingravenNov 16, 2021, 11:59 pm · #842

Overall I like simple, so much room.
(http://www.tougesw.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2021-11-16-17.08.15-scaled.jpg)

sideways_s12Dec 22, 2021, 3:53 pm · #843

Lots of room and less headache! what driveshaft were you gonna use for the cd009? I'll at least need the front yolk for that to have it fabbed on to the one piece I have.

WonderingravenDec 22, 2021, 5:24 pm · #844

I had one fabbed up for it.

I am working on finishing up the wiring, just have been stuck also working long hours recently due to the Log4j (Log4shell) vulnerability.

sideways_s12Dec 22, 2021, 6:46 pm · #845

is it a 1 piece that you had fabbed for it? if so we could trade drive shafts as well...

WonderingravenJan 2, 2022, 12:12 am · #846

I got tired of the bickering of everyone elses stuff that kept getting piled on me.
and took the time even tho it was like 43F in mid day and traced the wires getting most of the wires figured out. I have to trace a few more wires but I am pretty sure it is ready for a fire up after figuring out the tach wire again on the s12 I keep forgetting where I reran it too / from.

and ontop of that I've sold the vg30de today.

WonderingravenJan 8, 2022, 11:50 pm · #847

Removed what I called the Iggy idea for the setup, I never tested and verified the honda radiator was good so it turned out that it was poorly made and leaked from the cores with poorly done welds.
So with no way to obtain one locally and the lack of there for the cash, I went with my old radiator and will have to install the front mount innercooler (I got this neat bartco one). 

I never did check my work as much as I do now, but resolved some issues and went to start it but turns out the old age of sitting got to the starter, I don't recall when I placed the cadet into the red one. I know it's about 6+ years ago now.

So I have to source a starter.

I am so close to starting, I have hand turned it a few times to verify that it's not seiged and it's most defiantly not.

sideways_s12Jan 11, 2022, 2:54 pm · #848

Awesome! Looks like your moving through this project a lot faster lol Oreilly's rebuilt the starter when it went out on me back in  08-09 they may still rebuild them I'd check there and if iirc they are cheaper than buying a new one.

did you ever swap drive shafts?

rednucleusJan 11, 2022, 3:52 pm · #849

Starter rebuild is an easy at home job.  Here's a link should have parts numbers for brushes.
https://club-s12.org/forum/index.php/topic,37978.msg402886.html#msg402886

sideways_s12Jan 11, 2022, 4:06 pm · #850

Oh nice I forgot we had a starter rebuild thread.