Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Project: Fairlady Silvia - 1987 200sx SEv6...

Started by Wonderingraven · Jun 1, 2011 · 909postsSMF 2010–26

WonderingravenApr 17, 2018, 11:00 am · #751

I have driven to DPAN GT meets Las Vegas

Here is a few pictures of the last S12 that still shows up to places in Vegas.

posted image
posted image

I went to frys for some pc parts
posted image

Second location of dpan gt
posted image
posted image
posted image

nddApr 25, 2018, 8:34 pm · #752

I have been following this build.  All I can say is keep up the good work.  Love your s12!

WonderingravenApr 26, 2018, 12:31 am · #753

Test fitted some mustang tires and rims. Rears barely fit due to the 245 tire width.

posted image
posted image

Attended VegasDrift 4/22
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image

WonderingravenJul 2, 2018, 9:51 am · #754

Still running strong, it's currently in hibernation for the summer because Vegas HEAT sucks.. and I hate working / or driving a super hot car during the day time of the 110F+ heat.

WonderingravenFeb 12, 2019, 11:20 am · #755

well, due to the lack of money and stuff I didn't get to drive her much as she needed alot of things including a battery as it finally died I replaced the battery a month ago and started it up and it was super rough and the carb was frozen to a point I had to do some attention.

I had to pull the walbro255 as it just died, installed the walbro190 I had laying around.

this what happened before the walbro190 just died, I am trying to do some more YouTube Garage Live streams and such.
But here is the video.
https://youtu.be/I-OJoijOWsk

JonBFeb 12, 2019, 4:00 pm · #756

What ignition is that? Module in the hei maybe.

Out of curuosity, what fuel regulator are you using?

WonderingravenFeb 12, 2019, 4:48 pm · #757

i am using something like so
https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product/x1-series-carb-bypass/

The walbro would just lose the sound o operation with the pump and all pressure and all flow from the pump is gone and there is fuel in the tank alot of it, from all the mix reviews I am calling it, It's a walbro.

I was going to just order a super cheap early 90's TPI chevy intake fuel pump to just drop in. 

That is a Davis Universal Ignition (modified v6 msd street fire for vg motors)

JonBFeb 12, 2019, 9:11 pm · #758

I suspect thats a bad module and not the carb doing that. I could be wrong tho.

WonderingravenApr 19, 2019, 5:12 pm · #759

been a while to really update this project.
I ran out of gas completely causing when I attempted to start it a massive ping.

I scored a pair of heads from someone locally with 276 cam with both exhaust and intake bolts clean with no stripped threads.
I am going to replace the current set that has a bad / bandiaded head.

with that I am going to do a gasket refresh, oil, hoses, and such.

WonderingravenApr 29, 2019, 11:01 am · #760

I guess you can say I am both done and bored of the carb setup.
Tired of troubleshooting random issues that keep popping up.

I scored also an Infiniti M30 ecu and a wiring harness to help rebuild my current one.
Reason for the ecu upgrade, fuel mapping is different and a bit better for the timing and potentially a better nistune support with these ecu's

posted image

WonderingravenMay 2, 2019, 9:20 am · #761

Slowly coming together.

I might do a quick remove motor and fix rear main seal + oil pan gasket this weekend.

posted image
Close up
posted image

JonBMay 4, 2019, 8:03 am · #762

Looks like its going together pretty quickly to me. Way faster that I would have been able to.

WonderingravenMay 23, 2019, 4:05 pm · #763

Nearly have it ready to fireup, but it's been super rainy and massive high winds lately.

WonderingravenMay 29, 2019, 5:41 pm · #764

Fixed multiple issues and is all ready to drive again.

I am missing the C clip that goes from the firewall to the Gas pedal inside the car to hold the throttle cable.

https://youtu.be/YNvHsed0Q-4

WonderingravenJul 14, 2019, 4:24 pm · #765

Yeah, I am back until you see the last image.
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image

Here is a video of a few clips.
https://youtu.be/tI8P3UFqC9g

iceagegJul 15, 2019, 7:31 am · #766

Son of a!!!

CzechSilviaJul 15, 2019, 9:30 am · #767

Oh shit! I'm curious, however, what does it look like on the inside, the cam must have seized at high rpm

WonderingravenJul 15, 2019, 11:07 am · #768

All valves are bent, I am really concerned on the carbon build up on all the exhaust valves tho, they are a thick layer of carbon.
I wonder if that was caused by the carb when it was on for a while.

posted image
posted image
posted image

WonderingravenSep 1, 2019, 7:19 pm · #769

Well, I put the new heads on that I have and sad to say that some how it just stopped moving and it's acting like something is stuck trying to move the flywheel. It kinda sounds like the shaft to the starter is stuck open and stop working with it being engaged but I cannot see the starters connections to do so.  Car is also located on the street and trying to find  help to relocate it to the drive way is a pain at the moment.

WonderingravenOct 16, 2019, 8:24 pm · #770

finally got the motivation and time to rip apart the block again to find out what happened.

Turns our I have detonated the piston so a swap is a must now. I got my vg30de ready to start it's swap.

iceagegOct 17, 2019, 7:34 am · #771

Sorry to hear the damage was catastrophic.  At least we will get the long awaited swap thread!

WonderingravenOct 17, 2019, 10:33 am · #772

With a real write up.

I'm tackling this as if I am bout to wire in an rb motor as I have always seen these motors as an rb style motor cut in half and placed side by side.
Post Merge


Started to pull apart to see where or what went wrong.  (Car stopped 5 minutes of starting up)
posted image

I've made a discovery, sh!t where did the piston go? holy, there is the push pin that is on the connecting rod still. the piston is.... Gone?!?! dafuq.
posted image

This head is now toast.... welp I am done with this vg30e...
posted image

posted image

posted image

Only v6 I got left, the vg30de from the j30 infiniti.
posted image
JonBOct 20, 2019, 7:14 am · #773

Thats pretty bad. Theres not a while lot left there to determine the failure

8SixS12Oct 24, 2019, 5:25 pm · #774

Can't wait to see some progress on the j30 swap.

WonderingravenOct 26, 2019, 3:45 pm · #775

currently hunting down an transmission to go with it.

So far this is what I've found the motor bottom half mounts up, I suspect that the exhaust driver side will interfere with the steering column.
Currently also trying to get this s130 out of my garage, it's almost done to an initial fireup. Just working 10-12hours isn't helping either.

WonderingravenJan 30, 2020, 1:27 pm · #776

I might be retiring this project all together.
Couple of reasons:

1) I am acquiring another project s12 coupe tho, I am going to be dropping an ca18det into it. So all my time is going into this project.
2)  Emotionally, it wouldn't be as bad as it is now, that if my mom didn't pass away a few days after I blew up the motor going sideways at the track and the lack of local support I kinda gave up with motivation of keeping this one alive.

CzechSilviaJan 30, 2020, 3:57 pm · #777

That's a real shame, but hey, at least the engine died the warrior's death, that's the way it should be and not letting them rust out in some shed. And if you sell the shell, make sure to sell it to someone who'll appretiate it. Also - looking forward to the ca18det project!

WonderingravenMar 2, 2020, 10:20 pm · #778

Well, I have a solution for the s12, seems that I had some friends reaching out and giving me some inspiration and support lately. TBH, I can use all I can get... it's hard.

I have a VG30DE from an Infiniti J30 sitting in my garage.
I now have an CD009 (z33 transmission) ready to be mated with an VG30DE Auto bell housing with internal slave setup from JWT.
 
This might get interesting soon!

I've been thinking of doing this customization live streaming but unsure yet how this will go down.

rednucleusMar 3, 2020, 4:11 pm · #779

So many letters & numbers, so little time!

WonderingravenMar 8, 2020, 5:22 pm · #780

Acquired an Z33 transmission with a J30 Autotrans.

posted image
Pairing up with this motor here.
posted image

FYI, this is what I will be doing, and converting this to an internal slave cyl.
https://youtu.be/Z6ETCVJN2mU

Parts will be utilizing with this:
http://jimwolftechnology.com/customer_part_detail.asp?PartID=539

with.
http://jimwolftechnology.com/customer_part_detail.asp?PartID=560
http://jimwolftechnology.com/customer_part_detail.asp?PartID=565

WonderingravenMar 19, 2020, 5:29 pm · #781

it is done, motor is finally out and the preparations is now underway.

iceagegMar 20, 2020, 7:37 am · #782

Making good use of your mandatory stay home time.  Good on you.

WonderingravenMar 20, 2020, 11:38 am · #783

I am assuming there isn't a huge write up on this. wiring is similar to wiring the rb25 almost to a T and when I clean up my notes I'll post the wiring guide and with that said I am going to do an in-depth write up on this process including the whole VG30DE Auto bellhousing on an Z33 CD09 transmission and how it fits in.

As of now I got no job for 30 days sooo here we go nose diving into this project.

The before
posted image

Pulling the engine.
posted image
posted image

the engine tare down.
posted image
posted image

WonderingravenMar 28, 2020, 1:08 am · #784

quick update, motor is ready to drop in. I'll add pictures to this check back later.

I can use either SEv6 sohc exhaust headers (have to modify the holes for the studs just a little wider and oval out the insides) but they can fit right in with no other issues.
The J30 exhaust looks like it will fit, I would have to modify the Y pipe to  compensate the extra length from the headers and match how they bolt up.

JWT is shipping out everything monday that I need to fit in the transmission (minus the shifter, as I need someone to cut and make the bracket shorter)

Last but not least, I need to get my driveshaft made when this is ready.

Then I can move onto wiring.

WonderingravenApr 16, 2020, 9:01 pm · #785
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
WonderingravenMay 7, 2020, 1:11 pm · #786

Aye,
here she be.... the motor resting inside.
posted image

posted image

posted image

posted image
hood fits sooo snug.

1 issue I have found, the passenger side exhaust manifold points outward causing it to rest and needs to massage the rail just so it can fit naturally, so since i have an extra pair of z32 headers I am going to see if I can use the passenger side one if not I have 2 sets of sev6 exhaust manifolds one I can modify to fit since it was previously modified to fit an vg33e.  I can't mount the driver side motor mount because it's off like 1/4 of an inch due to the exhaust tweaking.

kelso840May 7, 2020, 3:51 pm · #787

That motor is an absolute unit.

iceagegMay 8, 2020, 7:41 am · #788

"1 issue I have found, the passenger side exhaust manifold points outward causing it to rest and needs to massage the rail just so it can fit naturally, so since i have an extra pair of z32 headers I am going to see if I can use the passenger side one if not I have 2 sets of sev6 exhaust manifolds one I can modify to fit since it was previously modified to fit an vg33e.  I can't mount the driver side motor mount because it's off like 1/4 of an inch due to the exhaust tweaking."

Curious what modifications you had to do to your VG30 headers to get them on the VG33.  I just had to slightly oval two of the holes to make room for the thicker studs.  Keep up the work man.  Love what you do.

WonderingravenMay 8, 2020, 9:05 am · #789
iceageg on 07:41:22 AM / 08-May-20
Curious what modifications you had to do to your VG30 headers to get them on the VG33.  I just had to slightly oval two of the holes to make room for the thicker studs.  Keep up the work man.  Love what you do.


thats all I did, I have to widen them more, but for the vg30de i would have to match the exhaust holes too.
WonderingravenJun 7, 2020, 2:49 am · #790

Get some pictures posted tomorrow, but I did get the headers all setup and ready to be installed.

I had to use the SEV6 modded and welded as a guide, taking as an idea from some other cat18et headers I had that was modified for a bigger turbo, this turned out really nice.

I am ready to start the test fitting and installing but, I ran into a snag with the city stuff.... seems that a new neighbor down the street  decided to call in all the cars that looks like junk being stored, so I have to do some cleaning and such around my property, and get rid of 1 s12 that is currently on jackstands in the back yard to place Jason's Black S12 in the back.  I've been meaning to cut up this old shell / parts car for a while.

WonderingravenJun 23, 2020, 2:28 am · #791

Pictures are coming soon, but transmission is in, driveshaft has been measured and ordered.

Working on the wiring now.

WonderingravenJul 12, 2020, 11:47 pm · #792

working on the Y pipe now,

1piece driveshaft is in, transmission is in, shifter is in.

Routing the the vacuum lines and then wiring.

I am really close to a first startup.

Depends on how well this pans out, I might just restore what I can and clean it up and sell my 350z and use this car as my daily once again.  I am hoping for the best with this now.

iceagegJul 13, 2020, 7:27 am · #793

That would be awesome.  Will have to see if we can meet up next time I am in the Vegas area.  Have a friend over the hump in Pahrump that we visit once or twice per year.

WonderingravenAug 3, 2020, 2:33 pm · #794

I ran into a snag, the JWT CSC failed due to a bad internal gasket, upon repairing the whole thing just didn't go back together right and I ended up damaging more of the product than anything else.

They worked with me for over a week before I called and asked for a second one, they did some awesome price cutting and overnighted it for me as a big surprise.

Anyways transmission installed, clutch is all bleed and ready.

I ran into an new issue, stock ebrake will not work especially if I shift into 4 / 6 gears as it now interfears with 4/6  so I am going with an hydro ebrake setup since I am at the brake refresh project portion.

Chasebay BBE (Brake Booster Elimination) kit has been installed and is fiting perfectly, I am replacing alot of hardlines with braided lines all around

WonderingravenAug 23, 2020, 10:41 pm · #795

Working on the wiring now.

Currently doing an J30 to Z31 -> S12 write up.

Am I missing anything on this? if so what is it and why?

posted image

WonderingravenJan 3, 2021, 7:12 pm · #796

The wiring idea was good and all with the stock ecu, but I have decided to go a different route and just go MS3.
Here is the guide I will be using for this side of things as I got lost in hell trying to find the wiring on the s12 side for the ignition conversion, instead of on going troubleshooting I've decided to take a step back and go with a much simpler solution (if you have followed this thread, you can fully understand why I decided this route finally)

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/nissan-datsun/megasquirt-your-z32-300zx/

WonderingravenJan 11, 2021, 2:52 pm · #797

Just an FYI, when doing the starter z1 motorsports sells an N/A to turbo starter plate shim that is required if you are using the j30 auto bellhousing to z33 jimwolf mod. Something they didn't explain to you.
spent the weekend down to knowing the starter works, verification of the wiring is correct to turn the key and start. N/A starter will not turn an turbo flywheel with out the shim.

iceagegJan 12, 2021, 7:22 am · #798

This is why this site is so much better than the Facebook page.  Thanks as always for documenting.

WonderingravenJan 21, 2021, 4:59 pm · #799

Yeah!

DIYAuto is sending the prebuilt unit for an z32 / 300zx motor.  The MS3 + MS3x and wiring. So next step is to start cleaning up both inside the car and the engine bay because it's going to be started soon + idling.

Next will be hunting for someone to craft me some headers.

sideways_s12Jan 27, 2021, 9:08 pm · #800
iceageg on 07:22:52 AM / 12-Jan-21This is why this site is so much better than the Facebook page.  Thanks as always for documenting.

Big facts! wandering has been the lone poster along with a few others lol