Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Project: Phoenix

Started by deco · May 5, 2011 · 225postsSMF 2010–26

rednucleusFeb 12, 2016, 2:56 pm · #151

Clean engine bay! BTW the copper is one of my favorites - hardly ever see it.

weitrhinoFeb 12, 2016, 4:46 pm · #152

Nice score. Did you find it somewhere local to LV?

WonderingravenFeb 12, 2016, 8:06 pm · #153

Good Job, it is much cleaner than the black one for now and she needs a bath badly, lol

sideways_s12Feb 12, 2016, 11:47 pm · #154
weitrhino on 04:46:29 PM / 12-Feb-16Nice score. Did you find it somewhere local to LV?

Yeah he is a local and he is a member although he doesn't really post...

Gary yeah she does need a bath lol That will happen when I can drive over 2500 rpm....
WonderingravenFeb 13, 2016, 12:16 am · #155

That wiring though, is that actually tucked in behind from the passenger side? I really want to learn how that was tucked away for when I reinstall this harness.

sideways_s12Feb 13, 2016, 12:33 am · #156

yeah not sure how he did it as I have yet to examine it. Friday it's going to Trev tec to fix the wiring as I despise wiring and I know I'll fuck it up...

WonderingravenFeb 13, 2016, 12:51 am · #157

I bet he will be happy to work on a much easier setup, hah!

S12_LiferFeb 13, 2016, 2:29 am · #158

Hoping your S12 will be ready for JCCS, 2016 and other meets.

sideways_s12Feb 13, 2016, 12:33 pm · #159
Wonderingraven on 12:51:17 AM / 13-Feb-16I bet he will be happy to work on a much easier setup, hah!

I'm sure he will lol

S12_Lifer on 02:29:17 AM / 13-Feb-16Hoping your S12 will be ready for JCCS, 2016 and other meets.

The plan is to be ready for JCCS but we'll see depends on how the finances play out...
8SixS12Feb 14, 2016, 8:09 pm · #160

Congrats! Glad to see you're back in the game! - subscribed

sideways_s12Feb 15, 2016, 1:37 am · #161

Thank you glad to be back lol

Cajun1guyFeb 16, 2016, 9:51 pm · #162

Oh Hell Yeah! Sounds good even when it runs bad. Enjoy the sickness brother. Wifey and Jr don't understand Dad's need for a stick and clutch, and no new frills!

sideways_s12Feb 16, 2016, 9:56 pm · #163

Lol well the wifey understands.

Found a new issue, there is a big parasitic draw coming from somewhere as I went to start it to move it and the battery was completely dead after sitting for 3 days  and the battery is brand new... So there's that....

Cajun1guyFeb 16, 2016, 10:04 pm · #164

Never a dull moment in the S-12 world. Good thing we have this forum, saved my ass many times!

iceagegFeb 17, 2016, 7:14 am · #165
sideways_s12 on 09:56:09 PM / 16-Feb-16Lol well the wifey understands.

Found a new issue, there is a big parasitic draw coming from somewhere  . . .

I fixed this by installing a new wife.  Took a few years and I am still paying for it, but completely fixed the problem.  I don't know you or your wife so I may be misdiagnosing the problem, but it worked for me.
sideways_s12Feb 17, 2016, 8:42 pm · #166

Lol I meant the battery in the s12 ....

Cajun1guyFeb 17, 2016, 10:07 pm · #167

LOL, that went down the wrong way  :laugh:
It's good to have an understanding lady!

iceagegFeb 18, 2016, 6:16 am · #168
Cajun1guy on 10:07:29 PM / 17-Feb-16LOL, that went down the wrong way  :laugh:
. . .

again . . .

iceageg on 07:14:42 AM / 17-Feb-16I fixed this by installing a new wife.  Took a few years and I am still paying for it, but completely fixed the problem.  I don't know you or your wife so I may be misdiagnosing the problem, but it worked for me.
8SixS12Feb 18, 2016, 8:20 pm · #169
sideways_s12 on 09:56:09 PM / 16-Feb-16Lol well the wifey understands.

Found a new issue, there is a big parasitic draw coming from somewhere as I went to start it to move it and the battery was completely dead after sitting for 3 days  and the battery is brand new... So there's that....

Did you find the issue yet? Mine used to have a bad ac fan motor timer and stop lamp sensor. I ended up finding one from an 87 car but they're slightly different I think because my bulb warning light stayed on all the time but it worked.
sideways_s12Feb 18, 2016, 10:26 pm · #170

No I haven't bothered trying to fix it as it's going to the shop to have the wiring issue fixed....

sideways_s12Feb 27, 2016, 3:19 pm · #171

Ok so I merged Ben's old build thread with mine since it's the same car and this way I don't have to search very far for any info from the work he's done to the vehicle. Not much progress made on car the as we are planning to move in a couple of weeks. Still need to figure out the afc issue as I'm sure its the sole culprit to why the car runs in limp mode....

8SixS12Mar 3, 2016, 2:42 pm · #172

Where you moving to?

sideways_s12Mar 3, 2016, 3:28 pm · #173

it's a local move nothing special... I need out of this shithole tho I'm so tired of vegas I need some new scenery car and otherwise...

S12_LiferMar 3, 2016, 6:45 pm · #174

You would love San Diego.  Not to expensive if you live in east county (away from the beach).

sideways_s12Mar 3, 2016, 9:10 pm · #175

I know I would but the wifey doesn't want to live there... :( I would go in a heartbeat tho...

iceagegMar 4, 2016, 7:50 am · #176

I can't live in CA.  I am considered a dangerous criminal there.  I'd say your wife's instinct is correct on this one.

sideways_s12Mar 5, 2016, 1:13 am · #177

Why are you considered a dangerous criminal there if you don't mind me askin....

iceagegMar 5, 2016, 2:27 pm · #178

I'm not considered a dangerous criminal most places.  I have lead a very civil and just life with no legal trouble more significant than a speeding ticket.  In Cali however I am considered a dangerous criminal because of a couple of the firearms I own.  Simply because I own them.  With their massive expansion of prohibited firearms as of 2016 I am even more of a criminal by Cali definition than I was last year and all I did was nothing to anybody.  Anybody who thinks that poorly of honest people should get honest people's tax dollars.

Shanes1233Mar 5, 2016, 3:25 pm · #179

What a score! Looks like a good start to something beautiful. Cant wait to see how this one turns out!

sideways_s12Mar 7, 2016, 6:07 pm · #180
iceageg on 02:27:07 PM / 05-Mar-16I'm not considered a dangerous criminal most places.  I have lead a very civil and just life with no legal trouble more significant than a speeding ticket.  In Cali however I am considered a dangerous criminal because of a couple of the firearms I own.  Simply because I own them.  With their massive expansion of prohibited firearms as of 2016 I am even more of a criminal by Cali definition than I was last year and all I did was nothing to anybody.  Anybody who thinks that poorly of honest people should get honest people's tax dollars.


That's fucking retarded! Maybe I don't want to move to cali after all

Shanes1233 on 03:25:25 PM / 05-Mar-16What a score! Looks like a good start to something beautiful. Cant wait to see how this one turns out!

Thanks bro! If I could get a decent second job and get my funds right I could actually get to work on the damn thing... right now she is just sitting collecting dust :/ I really want to drive it!
WonderingravenMar 7, 2016, 6:49 pm · #181

California seems like an nice place to live till you get caught up on the politics and bills that has been passed.

I think this alone is what got me liking my decision to move to central Oregon back in the day and might do so again when I get more certifications under my belt.

sideways_s12Mar 7, 2016, 6:57 pm · #182

yeah we were thinking about oregon as well!

iceagegMar 7, 2016, 7:34 pm · #183
sideways_s12 on 06:07:14 PM / 07-Mar-16That's fucking retarded! Maybe I don't want to move to cali after all

Yea.  Cali has a "safe handguns" list that was created under the false disguise that it would prevent unsafe designs from being legal to sell.  This year there are ZERO new approved handguns and 80+ pages of handguns that were legal in 2015 but are now illegal.  Of those "legal last year but not this year" are almost every variant of the Colt 1911 ever made and a huge number of 6 shot revolvers.  How is it possible that those were "safe" but are not anymore?  Because every manufacturer must pay a fee in excess of $10,000 every year for each gun that they want to have on the list.  If they don't pay the fee, the gun is removed from the list.  Making matters worse, current duty police officers can purchase ANY handgun not on the list.  That's right.  Not only does the list have NOTHING to do with the actual safety of the firearms in question, even if it did it allows the police to use "unsafe" handguns as much as they want . . . yea.  That's not even getting into the topic of GVRO's that allow the police to show up to your house, take your stuff and you don't even get to know any details of why for 2 weeks.

I was born in Oregon (Bend) and would love to move back to central or eastern Oregon but I fear it has fallen victim to the same problem WA, CA, CO, NY and so many other states have.  The "we know what's best for you" folk in the city pass laws that eviscerate the way of life lived by the rural folk who live in/around/on 95% of the land in the state.  I would still take Oregon over California even if I had to drive through northern Canada in the winter to get there.

Sorry, don't want to hijack your thread with politics.  I am better versed than most and exuberant about the opportunity to discuss it.  PM, another thread, here, or not at all.  Still looking forward to your build though.
sideways_s12Mar 9, 2016, 8:01 pm · #184

yeah that's stupid it's always people that ar worrying about what other people are doing that kills it.

Anyway, back on topic I found a huge boost leak about 10 mins ago turns out the hks bov that is on the ca is acting as a hair dryer and blowing all the metered air (well at least 80% of it) out of the system right before the TB I unplugged the vac source and plugged the bov with my hand (not a perfect seal obviously) and I noticed a difference in the throttle response and revs revved a little higher and shot a fireball with a huge cloud of black smoke lol But it's still in limp mode I still think the afc is an issue still, I'm sure when I replace the IC pipe it'll improve greatly *crosses fingers*

iceagegMar 9, 2016, 8:30 pm · #185

Sounds like a relatively easy fix.  Hurray for an automotive win!

sideways_s12Mar 9, 2016, 8:51 pm · #186

Yeah lets hope so lol

sideways_s12Apr 6, 2016, 5:56 pm · #187

Thinking of selling the ca18det I want a v8 in my life! a boosted v8 at that lol

iceagegApr 7, 2016, 7:06 am · #188

I love my boosted V8 and we have seen a couple S12s succeed at it here.  Once you start full custom the options open way up.  I say DO IT!

sideways_s12Apr 7, 2016, 9:28 pm · #189

I'm definitely leaning towards to doing it. might be a boosted 5.3  we'll see tho...

sideways_s12Apr 27, 2016, 1:59 pm · #190

Well in the meantime I fixed my rich at idle issue now I just have to fix my maf issue and my cold pipe issue and I think she'll be drivable...

WonderingravenApr 27, 2016, 2:20 pm · #191

Sweet! what was the rich issue?

sideways_s12Apr 30, 2016, 6:06 pm · #192

The AFC setting was wrong...

sideways_s12May 1, 2016, 6:47 pm · #193

Took my spare cold side pipe to work to cut about an inch off it to replace the leaky pipe with bov...

sideways_s12Jun 1, 2016, 8:07 pm · #194

Project is at a standstill got a harness wiring issue.....

sideways_s12Jun 18, 2016, 11:17 pm · #195

The struggle is real....

sideways_s12Jun 25, 2016, 11:56 pm · #196

Looks like I may be going with a wiring specialties harness. Hopefully that will fix my issue...Just need the money to do so...

sideways_s12Jun 29, 2016, 9:00 pm · #197

So I think I'll be ordering the wiring specialties harness when it drops in aug. but we'll see... Hopefully it works out

WonderingravenJun 29, 2016, 9:21 pm · #198

So what is going on with this project so far?

sideways_s12Jun 30, 2016, 12:46 pm · #199

Nothing because of the wiring I have a maf issue and while trying to diag it I moved the ecu and now the car won't start. It ran in limp mode before but at least it moved under it's own power so I could move it around...
Post Merge


If it wasn't for the wiring I'd be driving it
WonderingravenJun 30, 2016, 3:11 pm · #200

sounds like bad connection with one of the wires at the ecu level, or maybe the connection between the ecu and wiring harness?  I would love to take a peek one of these weekends when it's not super hot / stormy out.