Hey Deco. Didn't have a chance to reply earlier. My daughter got a pretty serious burn from a hot bowl of oatmeal. She's doing fine now, kids heal crazy quick.
I definitely remember you telling me about your Colt. Swapping the long blocks sounds like a great idea. That way you can play with the car a little and set up a nice suspension for it. Then when you're back to work it's only one paycheck for a CA18DET. I know if you're anything like me, you've blown a paycheck on worse things before, lol.
Anyways, I'm going to pm you my number. Maybe I can help you with that long block swap.
Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects
Project: Phoenix
Hell sorry to hear about you baby, and glad she is good now. Ill be glad to hit you up when its time to do the real work on it. Cool thing about this s-12 there are a lot of them here in vegas so help may not be so hard to come by, my colt, well not one person ever came over to help, not one. I did everything solo. Kinda shocked looking back on ijt that I ever pulled it off.... anyway ya, if I can get a long block ill swap it in for now, and then...... well F-it will got det. No reason to fight it. Everyone here is right about it way spend a ass load on a motor that will only make me nuts.
Ok..... today should be the day...... well not the day I get me car going, but the day I start putting the money together for it. Looks like I'm going back to work. So with that said, I won't be on here posting useless posts as much, but when I do post, it will be because I have money to buy things...... like a ca18det....... unless I get a long block befor I save enough money...
congratz!
Fuck ya its 6am and I'm at a job sight. Been a long time. But there is money up in that tower. A lot of it to. As soon as I put a few checks together ill start buying shit. When that happens ill change the title to " I'm now building it, skip to page____."
Lol good shit.
Ok everyone, as i said the last time here i would be doing something soon, well here goes. I will be dropping around 1500-2k in augest on it. I have not only decided, but have my first of 2 motors ill be building for this, all lined up. it will be Ka and ill be doing a mostly stock rebuild with a low boost turbo set up to start things off. I know i was talking about leaving it alone but there are problems with the exterior of this car. inside is good, but i will be needen a new front lip, driver side fender, and door. the po had a lil damage thats a lil worse than looks from the outside. i pulled the door, and started to drop the bumper and fender to try and bend parts back but someone already tried that so theres not much left to work with now. Anyway i will be painting it, it will be like a satin olivey green, with satin black roof, hood, hatch and plastics. well thats what im wanting but we will see how that ends up. anyway i am also thinking i want to run a 3" downpipe and as soon as it bends under the fire wall id like to split the exhaust into a pair of 2.25-2.5" pipes going back to some magnaflows. what does anyone here think. how big of a down pipe can get me under the car? i have seen alot of guys sayen its a tight run, but i wont be running a v6 or v8 so i should have a bit more room right?
well thats it for now, soon enough ill be posting pics. if anyone has any ideas about the exaust please post them up. thanks
ahhhh!
No KA. i can see why u dont want to keep the ca18et. thats understandable. and maybe u have some strange reason for not liking the ca18det.. who knows.(even tho in naturally belongs in the S12 chassis) But jesus please dont go KA. SR20DET!!!!!! is the next logical step. KA+T has money holes in its build progression. think in terms of HP per Dollar
No green. For the love of god keep the rare turbo orange. hit up Keith for the color code info. parts of his car have been resprayed and i've never been able to tell which parts
single 3" exhaust from the turbo back. 1 turbo means 1 exhaust pipe
my suggestions are based on experience and opinion. ignore as necessary
The ka is a decision that has taken a very long time to come to. Getting a 18det will be more money than building a ka. I have found a few 18det's out there but never for under 7 or 800, and that's going to need some work. I'm not out to buy someone elses used headache. I want a compleatly rebuilt motor. Something new, when I was looking for a det I was looking for one that needed a rebuild. But even worse is, the small stuff. The dumb little parts that are only a few bucks but on a ca or sr, new impossable to find. I don't need that. I want a 18det. Really I do, I would prefer that, but I had to get over the want and be realistic. This will be my dd when its done. The hyundai is going be bye, and I need this car to be 100% all the time. I have heard all the storys about ka's but I have also read all the builds that went well. Anyway unless a rebuildable det fell in my lap with a price tag of say oh I don't know, 2-300 bucks, ka will be my choice. And as for the paint. YES!!!!! I was trying to get a reaction from someone. The car will remain copper, but I will be adding a lil satin black for some 2 tone action.
Your build sounds like it will have some good thought behind it man. It will be a solid, reliable KAT I'm sure, I'm extremely stoked for whatever plans you decide on. I've become a die hard CA18DET lover like Waylon, and my S12's gonna get one no matter what the time or cost! Haha, that's just me though, and I get your reasoning for the KA. Keep us posted my man!
blah! the cheap boosted KA myth? still?
u gotta do more research man. A good KA+T will cost quite a bit more than u think
Don't you have a ka sittin in someones storage lol j/k quit fuckin around and start the car already lol
for the price an sr20 would be easier no?
thanks guys, and for real, if at any time a good det rolls my way for cheep, the ka will get pulled right then. Its kinda like settling but for the one reason of just plane desire, I want my car done. I know I have to wait it out, and I will, I just don't want to wait the kind of time it would take for the det, or an sr.
ka's are reliable truck motors anyways :-) if you want it running, just slap a ka and call it good :-)
Pretty much
Just another pointless update as I have nothing really new to share but the fact that I have yet to save even one dime for this car. I have however paid off 18 months of unemploid bills, and got the ok to pull 200-250 a week off my checks for 3-4 months depending on what I want to do. Sooooo now I may flipflop again, I may have to go with a cadet. No worrys jason, my old stuff, it still has your name on it.
Haha works for me and like I said the ka I have isn't going anywhere it'll be in my storage till I leave this shit hole town which is atleast another 8 months for sure I'm sure you'll have made your decision by then lol....
Ok so ya its been decided. The boss said she didn't think it would be a good idea to settle with a ka. So she is also insisntant I go with a ca. Now I need to decide. Should I peace a motor together, or should I just buy a compleat swap. And if I do that, who should I go through. If someone has a good importer, let me know. Id like to get a motor on its way in the next 2 weeks.
Just go with a full swap not sure which is the best importer as my car came with the swap already but I hear good things about jhott they are reliable atleast that's what I'm told I haven't actually used them....I say talk to keith as he had one imported and was fairly pleased with the transaction....
Thanks. I will try them out. I have been looking at place after place and seems everytime I find one that looks good someone has something bad to say about them, like I never got my motor, I can't get ahold of them...... however there are always some good things said also. Oh well, I'm sure ill find something. Only problem is, befor when I started to look at the ka was because I couldn't find a ca. However I have something I didn't have then, a job..........
So I am sitting pulled over in front of a car dealership cuz the wether sucks big ass. I am some place just outside of provo UT, and the highway is flooded in to many places. Well my car has a cold air intake, and its low, and I don't really feel like getting stranded in UT. So can you guess what I stuffed into the back of my lil hyundai accent. How about a picture.............
(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/deco_in_vegas/PART_1316243329199.jpg)
So what do you all think. If th rain clears up ill drive home and get better pictures. For now though its 130 in the morning and I'm spent so I guess ill take a nap.
I see a tranny and something orange o_O
Ooooh! Did you find a CA18DET man?!
Looks like a cadet, how much did that run you?
Looks like an FJ. One can only hope.
No fj, I wish. It is a ca18det. Picked it up for a steel, well I'm still in hope. I got it from a kid who said he couldn't finish do to lack of funds. He got it from his friend who had the same issue. His friend got it from a guy who said it was just built. Well who knows its a compleat swap, and looks ok but the kid didn't know when the last time or if it had been started so I got it as a non running compleat swap for 600. So for I have found it has a brand new act clutch and pressure plate. Some kinda light flywheel. Hks waste gate, arp head studs, some kind of mls head gasket, and the head is freshly rebuilt. Who knows how long ago it was done, but it has never even had oil ran through it. You can just see all the assembly lube. Tomorrow ill pull the head and take a look. From the spark plug holes it looks to be new down there also. If so, then we can all agree it is the biggest score ever.
Biggest Score Ever for sure. Congrats on that fantastic motor and deal! I'll be out around 3x that much when I order mine! I'm stoked for your build too man. Awesome shit.
WTF seriously?? that is a hell of a steal
Not bad at all awesome find especially if there's truth to everything the kid told you....
ok so i got the motor all torn down, it does need work so my great score just fell apart. i have been quoted 500 for the machine work i need done, and i will need some pistons and a gaskit set. i have them priced at about 550 for both. thats with forged pistons. so i got to put about a grand into my 600$ motor, but then it will be brand new, and well thats what i would have spent on a motor from over seas and it would not have been fresh. so im still very happy with my find, i have a new act clutch and pressure plate, also a new light fly wheel, all new arp hardware, new water and oil pumps, plus whatever else is new. so im happy with it. the head and block will be going to the shop next week and as soon as i get my pistons they will do the bore. other than that i will also begain ordering my shocks, i havent decided on tokico whites, or kyb agx's, but i should have them in the next few weeks. i was also looking at wheels, i cant decide, someone help me out, i dont think i want meshies any more, maybe some work equip 03's, (well knock offs) well thats all for now thanks for reading.
Still Not to bad, I payed 1300 for mine and the bearings need replacing (Have not pulled the head to check the water jackets and valves yet but it was running). Where are you ordering your parts from??
good shit just save your money and buy legit works man screw knock off's everyone has them in vegas lol
keep up the good work son!
well on the good side, atleast 1600 is better then buying the motor set for 1200 to 1500 (depends on the importer) and having to put another 1000 in rebuilding it.
Ya that's why I got it, I knew I wanted a fresh motor, one of the reasons I was thinking ka cuz I could get it cheep and rebuild. But for this I already have much of the brand new. Parts, just need to order the extras. As for where I will get the parts I really don't know. I checked the cylinders with a bore gauge and the so close to spec I. Almost think it will live with a good hone. The one scrach you can feel with your finger nail is about .1mm. Other than that they look good. It would save a lot to use the what look like new oem pistons. Anyway ill let the shop decide that. Thanks for the comments, and I will avoid knock off, cheepo parts every possable chance I get.
So what shop did you decide on for the machine work?
ok so i have been absent for a bit, but not compleatly. i have been working on things trying to get this motor up a built to go into the car. so, first off, the head is done and ready, i forgot to take pics befor i rapped it up but you can kinda see its awsumeness. also i dropped the block off at the shop, the guy went through it with a fine tooth comb and well it looks to be well withen speck. good news because im going for a stock build. so i finally started to put it back together after it was cleaned and honed, and painted. i decided to paint it myself when it got home, i didntr want the freez plugs to over power the rest of the block so i decided to paint them black also. anyway, so this is kinda where i am, im waiting on my new rings, then ill finish up the block, and then it will be on to getting into the car. so next up are pics. thanks all.
(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/deco_in_vegas/IMG_20111113_124218.jpg)
(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/deco_in_vegas/IMG_20111117_190125.jpg)
(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/deco_in_vegas/IMG_20111117_191448.jpg)
(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/deco_in_vegas/IMG_20111117_191656.jpg)
(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/deco_in_vegas/IMG_20111117_191741.jpg)
(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/deco_in_vegas/IMG_20111117_191802.jpg)
Looking good bro what shop did you decide on to do the machine work?
deco : So good S12 project you have ;)
I took it to fultzs, (I think that's how its spelled) the head came out grerat. He inspected the block said it was withen spec, and did a hone. Said it would be good for a stock build up but that he doesn't think I should be getting to carried away. We talked about me getting a second block in better shape, and doing a full on build. But for now I can get my car up and running. Its been hard getting anything going cuz the job I'm on finally went into overtime, so I'm here 6 10s. But with christmas comeing up I may not get to put much of that into the car. I am ordering a bushing kit this weekend, and maybe some new shocks. I want to build the cool guy coil overts but can't put that much in the car just yet so I will just start getting the parts. For now, what do you all think I should do to lower the car a few inches. Maybe even 1? Cut springs? Is the another option, that really cheep for a few months. If I get the bay all cleaned out this week I can have my motor in, and be ready to get it driveable. I just don't care much for the 4x4 look. Anyway I'm rambling. Thanks for looking ill get pics of the car next.
just save your money and do it rite the first time. Be patient with it and buy all you need over time. just my .02 cents
keep the updates coming
you can go with cheap canucks in the rear I can't remember what I have in the front but when I remember i'll let you know but it's low not super low but looks good for the time being.....
Post Merge: 01:49:27 AM / 01-Dec-11
Btw how much did the machine work cost you for both the block and head....
The head had a full valve job, and replaced a few guides, also replaced one seat. Hot tanked, regrind on all seats, and it has a fresh cut. Its clean and was right around 200 bucks. I think like 220 or something. I got it back a few months ago, so I don't remember exactly. As for the block I was trying to find some oem .5 over pistons cuz I really just want a stock motor. Well I have had no luck. So I took the block in a few weeks ago just to see what he could do with what I had. He said the clearance on my block and pistons was close but for a reliable stock build it would be good. So he honed out all cylenders, checked the deck, and checked the crank bore. I paid him 80 bucks for it. After talking to him about the motor and its stock numbers he seems to think ill be good for a 25-50 over stock for a long time. So I'm happy, that's all I really wanted a mostly stock, with good intake, exhaust, and turbo, ca18 that could give me a very relyable 220 or so on pump gas with stock ecu, and a lil fuel correction. Anyway I was looking a this ae86 I seen in a video a long ass time ago, and it has this front lip that keeps the 80s car bumber like on our cars but just looks bitchen, and I was wondering if anyone has tried using any other body parts fron old 86's on s-12s. Ok, that's all I got thanks again for any info and for looking,....... (oh and reading, dispite my horrable spelling and grammer).................
Ae86 is way norrower then our s12's.. People have used s13 bumpers on our cars tho
ya im not looking to change the look of the car to much, i like the wedge just wish i could create more room behind the lower part of the bumper for a good size ic. the few cars with s-13 kits i have seen have been ok, there was one that the kit looked like it was made for the car, it looked really nice, but even that took way to much from the cars original styling. hell even the ebuni kit doesnt look all that great. its ok though the car with the turbo kit on it is the way is was ment to be.
ok so i finally got started. i was going to be out of work for a few months, had a few days off, but now there keeping me busy again. well i got some stuff done, got the old motor out, funny thing i pulled the head, and if you remember way back i couldnt get the thing to read any compression at all. not even 1psi, well there were no bent valvs, the rings seem really good. the block looks great, but it looks like the po tried to resurface the head with like 20 grit sand paper. the whole thing has big groovs all the way up and down, so sad. not only that but all but 3 head bolts were missing the washers, and the tranny only had 3 bolts holding it to the motor, of witch only 2 were even all the way in. this was such a sad job. but its getting a new heart, and im degreasing, and pressure washing the bay, and whole underside this week. well i took a few pics so here ya go.
(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/deco_in_vegas/IMG_20120107_143451.jpg)
(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/deco_in_vegas/IMG_20120107_143536.jpg)
(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/deco_in_vegas/IMG_20120107_143528.jpg)
(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/deco_in_vegas/IMG_20120107_143626.jpg)
look close and you can see the groovs. there really deep and only look ok because there is still gasket stuck to it.
(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/deco_in_vegas/IMG_20120109_100043.jpg)
oh and i got this kit also. :yes:
well thats it for now. if all goes well ill be ready to drop a motor in there next week some time. then it will be time for some wheels, and maybe it will be driveable in a few more weeks.
Oh my god, Sounds like someone i know must have built that motor and tried to put it back in the car! LMFAO :D
well, the only thing that i am finding to be even close to what i was sold is a very clean s12, with working electronics. other than that, the po was a compleat jack ass......... but its ok, cuz there is a jap classic car meet here in town, and today i got the offical "vacation" request so if i can get this thing road worthy by feb 5th it will be there.
A good body and electrical are always a good place to start tho. Thats why i bought my car, I new the motor was iffy, they told me they rebuilt it and alarms went off in my head, Not to mention it was missing and smoking when i fired it up :P. Time to haul ass on your build so you can be there dude
damn dude I wouldn't have thought it would have been that bad lol is the head even salvageable I'm not sure I want the motor anymore lol who am I kidding lol I'll still take it hahaha nice work on the progress tho...more pics please