Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

1985 Kade S12 Notch From Pos To Mow (original post has been reconfigured.)

Started by sam31183 · Oct 2, 2009 · 180postsSMF 2010–26

David BApr 17, 2010, 9:19 am · #101

edit** just read the other thread saying not to talk about it. lol

a mod should clean the last page up

sam31183Apr 17, 2010, 11:40 pm · #102

i would be worried about gold wheels because gold is so soft...i mean, aluminum is soft to...meh.

Autox was today...I matched times with a s13 coupe se with a dohc engine...my brother and i ran the s12 and we both made 58 seconds,s13 ran 58 seconds, i let s13 guy drive s12, he made 58 seconds, and i drove s13 and made 58 seconds. The only things done to the s13 are lowering springs and he has zieks...it was silly ass wet out though, so i dont know what would happen with our times in the dry.

My brother and i played around with the back shocks a bit. They are 8 way...i had them at 6 to start with...turned em down to 5. Chris and I thought they were good at 5, but he wanted to try out 8 and 1. 8 was way to bouncy, 1 was way to soft and caused the car to understeer....i had been dailying the car at 6 in the back and loving it...4 might be faster though. I have the fronts set to 3 as they are 4 way. I had so much bite in the front in the wet...i was amazed. Car needs caster camber plates though. Also, today was the first time i have autoxed an s13....i thought my time was going to be lower in it because it felt faster...but i was mistaken. S12 feels amazing though right now.

Also...after all the runs my temp gauge was at half way...it normally runs cooler than that. We parked the car and i popped the hood for like 15 or 20 minutes...it was raining lightly and windy...i went and started the car and it high idled for a bit...was better after i drove it some...was idling at like 2k...fluids and oil are fine...meh.

sam31183Apr 19, 2010, 2:34 am · #103

might have cooked the bmc today...the master cylinder was low at the end of the day today...also, it looked like the back drivers side wheel might have had some brake fluid on it. Car was at half temp for a couple of runs so the engine bay might have gotten warm. I got my times down to even with the john cooper works mini. (a new one.) My timed runs I had the back shocks set at 5, but turned them down to 4 before the fun runs and managed to skim a second off.

IggyEGuanaApr 19, 2010, 4:53 am · #104

gold plated hoshinos is a super mega happy fun time idea

sam31183Apr 19, 2010, 8:44 pm · #105

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5iEnyBMvx4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5iEnyBMvx4)
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH07HawhJCg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH07HawhJCg)

second run was my fastest run of the day...and it was a fun run. I turned my rear shocks down a notch and shaved down a second. I had the s curves figured out so that if i started to slide the car some at one outside cone and ended the slide at the end inside cone my car was able to get around the track quicker...I needed more grip still in the rear though...these tires were not up to par in the back with my torque. I had plenty of grip all weekend long in the front though...even in the wet on saturday. These tires would be good for drifting though I think...

sam31183Apr 21, 2010, 4:47 am · #106

just bought this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=260488431824 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260488431824)

anybody want my old wheel? works fine with a s13 hub...kind of small, but tons of dish!

RedneckApr 21, 2010, 5:21 am · #107

Good choice on your new wheel. I would take your old one if I hadn't already upgraded mine .

sam31183Apr 21, 2010, 5:28 am · #108

I decided to buy it on a coin flip...my brother kept telling me i wanted it...he was right, i did...lol.

JayApr 21, 2010, 6:30 am · #109
sam31183I decided to buy it on a coin flip...my brother kept telling me i wanted it...he was right, i did...lol.

That's the spirit and what I like to hear!
sam31183Apr 21, 2010, 7:07 am · #110

I cant wait for it to show up now...to bad its coming from thailand...i kept showing it to chris and he was like...you need that, its going to look so good in your car, i thought your wheel now was going to be better than it is...blah blah blah...peer pressure man...it gets to yah!

What I really wanted was the wood with gold spokes but it was almost as much as my hoshinos and would get ripped off for sure! But it was sooo jdm awesome tyte yo!

sam31183May 4, 2010, 6:50 pm · #111

am I a wheel whore, or just a collector of fine round objects....?(boobs!)

(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs085.snc3/15330_385342854229_329189179229_4081918_4286915_n.jpg)
(http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs085.snc3/15330_385342859229_329189179229_4081919_2354693_n.jpg)
(http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs105.snc3/15330_385342864229_329189179229_4081920_5113209_n.jpg)

I might get a detachable hub eventually and use the old steering wheel/hub in the hatch...ghetto race car ftw!

sam31183May 16, 2010, 3:26 am · #112

autoxed today...7 seconds slower than a fully built c5 vette running on race fuel with wide ass slicks. He was picking the front tires up off the ground on course coming out of one of the corners....was crazy as fuck! I can call being 7 seconds off his time a victory for the s12...lol. More racing tomorrow.

sam31183May 17, 2010, 4:34 am · #113

i put some gear oil in the transmission earlier this week...well i didnt have any issues yesterday, but it must of been hotter today or something and the gear oil got hotter/expanded...but i had gear oil come out of the top of the shifter and all over the drivers side floor...some dripped down on to the glasspack and provided some smoke...i cleaned it up and hopefully its done filling the car with gross ass gear oil smell.

deadpirateMay 17, 2010, 5:26 am · #114
sam31183am I a wheel whore, or just a collector of fine round objects....?(boobs!)

(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs085.snc3/15330_385342854229_329189179229_4081918_4286915_n.jpg)
(http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs085.snc3/15330_385342859229_329189179229_4081919_2354693_n.jpg)
(http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs105.snc3/15330_385342864229_329189179229_4081920_5113209_n.jpg)

I might get a detachable hub eventually and use the old steering wheel/hub in the hatch...ghetto race car ftw!


dude that's like the fakest nardi I've ever seen in my life
sam31183May 17, 2010, 6:05 am · #115

how does it look fake? I would like to know so i know what to look for...

deadpirateMay 17, 2010, 6:08 am · #116
sam31183how does it look fake? I would like to know so i know what to look for...

the threading, the center, the close up of the spokes, the split between the spokes, and the biggest part was the ebay ad. Also, every single model that looks anywhere remotely similar to this wheel is around 300 dollars

just a heads up

edit; compare yours to these with what i said above

here's what a real 330mm rally(deep corn) looks like
(http://i10.tinypic.com/5ybrdi8.jpg)

and for reference, this is the 350mm rally (deep corn)
(http://www.kitoautosport.com/store/images/product/4mtvvch.jpg)
IggyEGuanaMay 17, 2010, 6:17 am · #117

daaaaaaaamn

cant argue with that comparison

MaxpowMay 17, 2010, 6:34 am · #118
sam31183I cant wait for it to show up now...to bad its coming from thailand...


deadpiratedude that's like the fakest nardi I've ever seen in my life


lul.
EternalSwapMay 17, 2010, 6:41 am · #119

fuck it sam
it looks sick, rock it. lol

MaxpowMay 17, 2010, 6:47 am · #120

Yeah it looks sick either way, just sucks you paid so much for a knock off.

sam31183May 17, 2010, 4:59 pm · #121

well....i paid less than half of what a real one goes for shipped...i am sure 300 bucks for a real one + shipping would have killed...I am with alex, it looks good...i only think nardi aficionados would question it being a knock off or not...and it also feels way better than my old wheel...which was 35 bucks with the hub...lolz.

sam31183May 17, 2010, 5:37 pm · #122

I also forgot to mention I took my class (sm, or street mod) by default yesterday. The supercharged mustang couldnt run because he was having problems with his fancy smancy sway bar links rotating. We were joking that he could have beat me though with one sway bar tied behind his back...he is on slicks and caged...and...well fast as hell. I was using the top of 2nd gear in 2 or 3 spots on the course and the rear end was sliding all over the place...i was even making a lot of tire smoke at the end of one of the longer right handers...so in reality i was putting on more of a drift exhibition than an autox...i need stickier tires in the back to be faster...but the sunnys are fun to drift on...hah!

We also took a pic of all of the mod cars yesterday...two amod cars (super go karts) one ssm (The vette), one bm car, and two sm cars...the mustang and me...i thought it was funny because i am the slowest mod car by a lot...oh well.

amod car
(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs282.ash1/20951_1087534885712_1746631320_158858_1682108_n.jpg)
brian's mustang
(http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs519.snc3/27245_371535699229_329189179229_3739403_666998_n.jpg)
bmod car...beat the red miata sunday by .1 second
(http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs174.snc3/20155_104837472868890_100000279144024_136459_6879527_n.jpg)

(these pics weren't taken this weekend btw.)
Also the green legacy that tows the amod car normally competes for top time of the day with the miata and the bmod. He runs on slicks, has a brake bias controller, and k sport coilovers...lol.

MaxpowMay 17, 2010, 6:15 pm · #123

That's pretty awesome.

EternalSwapMay 17, 2010, 7:25 pm · #124

i wanna race my tow vehicle lol

sam31183May 23, 2010, 3:13 am · #125

some action shots from the last autox....of the notch

(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs565.snc3/30873_10150178812725387_695415386_12566043_3531440_n.jpg)

(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs525.ash1/30873_10150178812750387_695415386_12566044_82521_n.jpg)

(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs525.ash1/30873_10150178812755387_695415386_12566045_1767099_n.jpg)

I took the clear corners/grille out while i was running in an attempt to try to keep things cooler under the hood...it was kind of hot out that day.

autox photo album
http://cbfamily.smugmug.com/Other/100516-A...873902065_SdVxt (http://cbfamily.smugmug.com/Other/100516-Autocross/12258299_7TyJT#873902065_SdVxt)

sam31183Jun 9, 2010, 1:21 am · #126

s13 wheels in the back...sunken in like a battleship yo!!!

deadpirateJun 9, 2010, 6:36 am · #127

a blow out?! that thing hasnt even gone past the rubber!

ArroJun 9, 2010, 7:30 am · #128

Do you not see the exposed core on the inside shoulder of that tire in the last picture?

deadpirateJun 9, 2010, 7:39 am · #129

I see sweet dirt

EternalSwapJun 9, 2010, 8:25 am · #130
ArroDo you not see the exposed core on the inside shoulder of that tire in the last picture?
you and i both know i've driven the ~1.5hrs to SD and back on tires WAYYY worse than sam's

but oh well, as long as you're fixing it lol
sam31183Jun 9, 2010, 6:29 pm · #131

better safe than sorry...i might put the good side of the tire on another wheel eventually on the inside and toss it in the back. onlinetires.com hasnt sent me an email back yet saying they have shipped my one tire...i ordered it on monday...they sent me an email saying they took my money though...lol.

That tire did get 3 autoxs under it...the last one on shitty abandoned airport pavement, i think the toe on that side was 2 or 3 degrees out. My rear neg camber is like 2.6 2.8 with the canucks/mustang shocks btw...you can see how much camber is there easier with the s13 wheels i think. It was wet out yesterday...i should have gone slidingzzzzzz....

MaxpowJun 9, 2010, 11:04 pm · #132

Fogs look good. My tires are always way more fucked than that, lol.

ArroJun 9, 2010, 11:35 pm · #133
EternalSwapyou and i both know i've driven the ~1.5hrs to SD and back on tires WAYYY worse than sam's

but oh well, as long as you're fixing it lol


Alex, having balls doesn't necessarily mean having common sense

sam31183better safe than sorry...

Yep, pulling hard on turns with exposed core on the tire shoulder is a lot different than cruising down the freeway and praying. Totally different stresses.
EternalSwapJun 9, 2010, 11:48 pm · #134

are you saying i didn't drive my cars hard then either?
dont make me quote myself lol

OT alert

sam31183Jun 10, 2010, 12:26 am · #135

its so hard for me to not make my right turn into town in 3rd gear at full throttle...especially when there is some dick behind me in a big truck seeing if he can get his front bumper on top of mine...not to mention when i decide to go up into the hills after class for a little game of see how early i can go wot in 3rd gear on a tight ass corner...

sam31183Jun 10, 2010, 1:19 am · #136

....and my tire is back ordered...fuck.

CamInHeadJun 10, 2010, 11:34 am · #137

ha ha yu drive a pink motor (girlfriend, etc). Get that mutha mope'd.

MaxpowJun 10, 2010, 2:13 pm · #138

Where do you shop for tires?

sam31183Jun 10, 2010, 2:23 pm · #139

i am using onlinetires.com since someone recommended them to me on here...i tried to call them to see if i could change my order though and they dont answer their phone...i tried calling when i put my order in because i was having problems with it...and they wherent answering their phones then...i have called around noon both times...so maybe lunch? I was going to just buy some hankook k106 195s...i had them on the 626 and loved them...the 205s where a bit more expensive then i want to pay for...but they arent answering their phones anyways...and i am not sure if they still have the charge on my card...if someone knows of a really good cheap place to buy tires i might call the bank and see if they have charged it and then dump it...

sam31183Jun 10, 2010, 3:00 pm · #140

well, i called the bank and they hadnt charged my account...and i saw that easy-tires.com had the sunny's in stock..and i called and a lady said that they did have them in stock...so i went and ordered.

sam31183Jun 10, 2010, 6:28 pm · #141
CamInHead ha ha yu drive a pink motor (girlfriend, etc). Get that mutha mope'd.  


I dont mean to sound stupid...but can someone give me a translation?!?!
MaxpowJun 10, 2010, 6:43 pm · #142

Yeah I have no idea what the fuck that means either.

sam31183Jun 10, 2010, 7:03 pm · #143

I am thinking...staggered offsets right...staggered tires also? I am going to see how much azenis are through onlinetires.com and i might be calling them up and changing my order...i am going to have so much grip in the back! And i can add the 2 sunnys to my s13 wheels/drift tires collection....i am becoming a whore of round things...

edit: ummm, azenis are to expensive still...damnit...

sam31183Jun 19, 2010, 5:24 pm · #144

My brother and I installed hood pins on the car today...the latch has had problems latching so i was worried about the hood flying open...also, i am a ricer.

IggyEGuanaJun 19, 2010, 6:42 pm · #145
sam31183
My brother and I installed hood pins on the car today
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
sam31183Jun 19, 2010, 7:24 pm · #146

i know...i know...my hood has a softball sized dent on the front of it so i dont feel to bad about messing up a already messed up s12 hood...

btw, i am installing my specialty engineering tc rod bushings tomorrow.

I am also contemplating gutting the bottom of the hood out now that it has holes and a dent in it...

ArroJun 20, 2010, 3:19 am · #147

hahah NIPPLES, sam. Nipples!

MaxpowJun 20, 2010, 4:51 am · #148
sam31183
i am using onlinetires.com since someone recommended them to me on here...i tried to call them to see if i could change my order though and they dont answer their phone...i tried calling when i put my order in because i was having problems with it...and they wherent answering their phones then...i have called around noon both times...so maybe lunch? I was going to just buy some hankook k106 195s...i had them on the 626 and loved them...the 205s where a bit more expensive then i want to pay for...but they arent answering their phones anyways...and i am not sure if they still have the charge on my card...if someone knows of a really good cheap place to buy tires i might call the bank and see if they have charged it and then dump it...


sam31183
well, i called the bank and they hadnt charged my account...and i saw that easy-tires.com had the sunny's in stock..and i called and a lady said that they did have them in stock...so i went and ordered.


Vulcan tire usually has some good prices too. I'm gonna look at online tires right now.
IggyEGuanaJun 22, 2010, 1:56 pm · #149

I would avoid onlinetires.com they still owe me either $180 or 2 Azenis.  No reply to email and no answer on the phone or call back.

discountedwheelwarehouse.com has a tire section.  they got me 4 Ziex quick and had great over the phone customer support

ArroJun 22, 2010, 1:59 pm · #150
IggyEGuana
I would avoid onlinetires.com they still owe me either $180 or 2 Azenis.  No reply to email and no answer on the phone or call back.

Wow man sounds like time for a small claims suit, isn't it like 14 bux to file in Vegas? or go through your CC or bank.