Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Matt's S12

Started by seishuku · Aug 3, 2007 · 1232postsInvision 2005–09SMF 2010–26

JayAug 7, 2009, 2:44 am · #351
IggyEGuanathe gasket degradation is from residual meth pooling in the intake?

If you can't smoke it, put it in and huff the exhaust! The Ultimate hillbilly high!
God, I hope nobody has ever done that... Or anything remotely similar
D-sport S12Aug 7, 2009, 3:29 am · #352

240 rear suspension setup, makes me want to try it.... maybe in the near future

seishukuAug 7, 2009, 4:16 pm · #353
JayIf you can't smoke it, put it in and huff the exhaust! The Ultimate hillbilly high!
God, I hope nobody has ever done that... Or anything remotely similar
lol ya.

Normally the gasket is painted, but it's been chipping off and the water+alcohol condensing on the runners caused it to seep into the bare metal and made it start leaking.
I figured it might happen some day, but I figured it would be a little while longer. Oh well.

It also tells me that I'm getting more alcohol in the #1 cylinder than the others, that runner had more blue discoloration than the others. I think it's time for a direct port injection system.
seishukuAug 9, 2009, 8:35 pm · #354

Oh, and the intercooler is in it's final resting place.
(https://i.imgur.com/ChsDA8I.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/FOQYT6K.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/K73UUPN.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/AzSBl6T.jpg)

And now the radiator sits correctly, instead of being push out at the bottom. I could even put back in an OEM radiator if I wanted.
(https://i.imgur.com/MJWzc5E.jpg)

ArroAug 10, 2009, 12:25 pm · #355

Interesting... most people use the lower airdam for an IC airsource, and you chose the grille. Much stealthier. What are the core dimentions on that thing?

sideways_s12Aug 10, 2009, 3:34 pm · #356

yeah doesn't that block the flow to the rad I thought that's why everyone used the airdam instead

ArroAug 10, 2009, 3:52 pm · #357

Actually either way does, if you look at yours you'd see what I mean. It can't be helped, which is why it's popular to go with a better aftermarket radiator to better cool the fluid.

seishukuAug 10, 2009, 4:57 pm · #358

Yeah, the IC will block it either way, so I went with a mid point. It'll put in ducting and do a little flow diversion later.

The core is a tube+fin, measures 26x8x3 I think, not huge but I didn't need much either. I bought it specifically to fit between the frame rails, so the charge piping is short.
Does a damn fine job, hot pipe is hot, cold pipe is cold!

seishukuAug 14, 2009, 8:34 pm · #359

Made a new upper radiator hose adapter.

I just gotta cut it down to size, and install. I might powder coat it too, I donno yet.

200sxkitcarAug 16, 2009, 3:18 pm · #360

very sexy dude.

stainless no?

if it is, leave it raw man.

seishukuAug 16, 2009, 3:51 pm · #361

Oh yea, stainless for sure.
Though I'm not totally sure on the alloy, not that it really matters for an adapter like this.

NemisisAug 17, 2009, 8:09 pm · #362

I bet some people here might be interested in one of the shiny things you took a pic of...

seishukuAug 17, 2009, 8:17 pm · #363

If anyone wants one, hit me up. It's not hard to make, took all of maybe 10 minutes.

seishukuAug 20, 2009, 10:53 pm · #364

I know some of you will probably not like this... BUT, I think it looks bad ass.
(https://i.imgur.com/J4qtiEk.jpg)

Yes, it's purple, however it's actually darker than what the camera makes it seem (flashes SUCK), plus with a tire on there will bring it down more, PLUS on a black car even more.

Just an test really, I had the RAL color so I figured why not. I can always have the wheel blasted and redo it with whatever.

XanoAug 20, 2009, 11:27 pm · #365

sexy!

JayAug 21, 2009, 12:12 am · #366
Xanosexy!

Not sexy.

But could be sexy with some black undertones (like inside of the spokes). Wheels that are entirely the same color other than black to me look like clown car wheels.v
EternalSwapAug 21, 2009, 2:36 am · #367

that looks cool!

seishukuAug 21, 2009, 4:08 pm · #368
JayNot sexy.

But could be sexy with some black undertones (like inside of the spokes). Wheels that are entirely the same color other than black to me look like clown car wheels.v
Yeah, maybe. It's hard to do multitones with powder coating, at least with out making a huge mess.

I suppose I could use a wheel paint, but I don't like painting over powder.

Instead of my powder gun, I should look into getting some of that powder paint and just brush a different color on.

Also, keep in mind, there are still the chrome lugs that will show, and there's the center cap that I could do something with.

Edit:
Here's a little bit better of a pic.
(https://i.imgur.com/yWBC4Mt.jpg)
200sxkitcarAug 22, 2009, 1:02 am · #369

Tight as hell!  don't change it!

anyway,

weren't those rims all warped real bad?  that was why I swapped them out originally iirc

seishukuAug 22, 2009, 11:02 am · #370

The two that held air still (the ones with firestone tires) were fine, just one had a chunk missing from the lip. They were pretty straight, and didn't even come out of balance with the weights removed (don't know how that worked ).

The other two I think just had really bad tires, because when I put two of my old Yokohama tires on them they were perfect, no odd noise, no noticeable runout.

They all could use some reconditioning, as they all have bad salt pitting on the hubs, and the lips are all beat up. But they do run straight.

seishukuAug 22, 2009, 12:23 pm · #371

Tossed one of the old tires back on, just to see how it looks.

I still think a gold or bronze would look better, but this isn't too bad.

mod_mastazAug 22, 2009, 4:05 pm · #372

I'd keep an eye on powercoated wheels. I had a friend powercoat STi BBS wheels and they now have hairline cracks all over. Powercoating rims is a big no-no in the Subie community. It's probably because of the powercoating process itself that causes the rim to do that. I haven't seen any other stock STi BBS crack except powercoated ones.

seishukuAug 22, 2009, 4:46 pm · #373

The rim it self is cracking, or just the powder is?

LeegamerAug 22, 2009, 6:16 pm · #374

Looks awesome.

mod_mastazAug 22, 2009, 11:38 pm · #375

The actual rim itself develops hairline cracks.

seishukuAug 22, 2009, 11:41 pm · #376

They probably use some forged alloy that can be affected at that low of a temp, I'm not too worried with stock cast rims.

seishukuAug 29, 2009, 5:06 pm · #377

I finally got around to removing the last of the sound deadening material, only had the area in the passenager foot well, and driver's side firewall, as well as the area under the heater box.

I also went to reweigh my chassis, comes to 2380LBS... 2600 with me in it. I'm a fat-ass.  

Edit:
The last weigh-in I did was at 2630 (somewhere around page 6 I think), with about the same amount of gas (I think).
I don't think my weight has changed much, so I managed to drop 30LBS off the chassis.

Only thing is, I don't remember if I had power steering in at the last weighing.

LeegamerAug 29, 2009, 8:29 pm · #378

Your car has to be fast at that weight with your engine setup.

seishukuAug 29, 2009, 8:58 pm · #379

Sure feels like it most days

I need to get a helmet, so I can go to the track again... Kinda sucks running faster than 14sec 1/4 mile.

NemisisAug 30, 2009, 12:29 am · #380
LeegamerYour car has to be fast at that weight with your engine setup.

Trust me, I've ridden with his "fat ass" and lead foot, and shit myself both times.

I just don't remember, we hit just over 100 in a 35 zone? Then he pulls over (needed to wait for Garret's KA S12 that was running on 2.5 cylinders) Goes under the hood for a minute then gets back in the car. I looked at him and he just said "I had to turn up the boost."

And with a turbo style muffler, the car doesn't even sound like its trying all that hard, its not that loud.

And that 100mph run was after tacos, on our way to have beer.

That was when I still had that POS Civic, the first Midwest Fall meet at Matt's place.
seishukuAug 30, 2009, 1:53 am · #381

Ah, good times, good times...

It's actually running way better since then, hopefully even better after I get a new wideband O2 sensor and fix some fueling.

XanoAug 30, 2009, 5:15 am · #382

That was the first car club meet i ever went to, ever.  never went to anything for any of my cars until that meet, and thats what makes me love em so much, I got a short ride in matt's badass car.  then was stuck in garrett's 2.5 cylinder KA =P

NissanNateAug 30, 2009, 1:27 pm · #383

Temperatures Of certain types of powder coating are to high for certain alloys, because of there low annealing point.  When metal has any force applied to it the molecules start to over lap and move out of alignment this although making the metal more bridle also hardens the metal. Every metal has a annealing temperature,at this temp the molecules relax and fall back into alignment making the metal malleable once again.
 This can be very dangerous!!!!
 Iv seen some pretty bad thing from this happening.  Although heat wont make it crack after being annealed then exerting a extreme force on the wheel things could go very very BAD.

Just thought id throw my $0.02 in.

XanoAug 30, 2009, 2:20 pm · #384

so in other words, dont over cook it, and give it time to cool down after cooking it.

JayAug 30, 2009, 5:14 pm · #385
Xanoso in other words, dont over cook it, and give it time to cool down after cooking it.

I'm sure you meant to say "baking"

Sorry, I couldn't resist...
NissanNateAug 30, 2009, 11:59 pm · #386

Ya basically make sure the annealing temperature of the metal your coating is at least 200 degrees above the highest cooking temp for the powder coat you are using.

IggyEGuanaAug 31, 2009, 12:22 am · #387

brakes get pretty hot yo

wrench->machine

seishukuAug 31, 2009, 3:47 pm · #388

Well, generally the temp used for annealing cast aluminum is around 650 deg. F, my powder cure temp is 350 for 20 minutes.

I'm not worried about it.

NemisisAug 31, 2009, 8:09 pm · #389

Hey Matt, if I am able to do a 4G63T swap into my Colt, wanna race? I will probably be hitting somewhere around 275whp with minor mods... I think Sport Compact Car Magazine said it best: "...its the most forgiving engine we know. Look at it sideways and it makes more power."

If I do get one of those motors in my car, I'm thinking Holset

seishukuAug 31, 2009, 8:23 pm · #390

You bet buddy! No one around here will race me anymore.

JayAug 31, 2009, 9:29 pm · #391
NemisisHey Matt, if I am able to do a 4G63T swap into my Colt, wanna race? I will probably be hitting somewhere around 275whp with minor mods... I think Sport Compact Car Magazine said it best: "...its the most forgiving engine we know. Look at it sideways and it makes more power."

If I do get one of those motors in my car, I'm thinking Holset

I have a couple Holsets at my disposal if you want one on the cheap. I have in my garage an HX35 Single scroll, a Dual scroll, and an HX45.  

Oh yeah... You've never met me. howdy

If you ever want colt parts. I have a hookup down in rockford. I found him a Turbo colt and he's been hoarding stuff for the past year. He's my go to guy with probe parts. some nissan parts. and expecially the old dodge turbo's. I have an Omni GLHS I don't like to discuss with some people. So you've got another hookup if you decide to take up on it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. If you EVER want any 4G63T or ANY 4G63 parts. I have a neighbor with (no joke) 7 complete blocks, 4 Td05h turbos, Blue tops galore. He works at a local junkyard and grabs everything DSM he can. And he'll probably sell you a known good engine for like, 150-200 bucks. Then swap it out in my garage with his and my help. Get it done in a day
NemisisSep 1, 2009, 6:31 pm · #392
JayI have a couple Holsets at my disposal if you want one on the cheap. I have in my garage an HX35 Single scroll, a Dual scroll, and an HX45.  

Oh yeah... You've never met me. howdy

If you ever want colt parts. I have a hookup down in rockford. I found him a Turbo colt and he's been hoarding stuff for the past year. He's my go to guy with probe parts. some nissan parts. and expecially the old dodge turbo's. I have an Omni GLHS I don't like to discuss with some people. So you've got another hookup if you decide to take up on it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. If you EVER want any 4G63T or ANY 4G63 parts. I have a neighbor with (no joke) 7 complete blocks, 4 Td05h turbos, Blue tops galore. He works at a local junkyard and grabs everything DSM he can. And he'll probably sell you a known good engine for like, 150-200 bucks. Then swap it out in my garage with his and my help. Get it done in a day

SWEEEEEEET

Definitely gonna hit you up on some of that shit. Pretty much I'll need to get the 1g DSM to 3g CSM adapter plug (one mess of plugs that directly adapts the DSM's ECU and harness to the CSM's chassis electrical so everything still works the way its supposed to), the swap mounts, maybe a radiator (mine looks like this will be it's last winter, although its better than many I've seen), a trans, and convert the clutch system from cable to hydraulic. There is a bunch of other shit too. Those are 1g 6 bolt or 2g 7 bolt?

Oops, I should probably talk to you via PM. Sorry for the thread-jacking Matt.
seishukuSep 1, 2009, 6:37 pm · #393

I don't care, it's all good!

JaySep 1, 2009, 6:56 pm · #394
NemisisSWEEEEEEET
 Those are 1g 6 bolt or 2g 7 bolt?

Mostly 6 bolts. a couple 2g ones, but I'm pretty sure they are crankwalked.
200sxkitcarSep 2, 2009, 11:18 pm · #395

I think when I visit back I'm gonna have to meet this Jay fellow   sounds like you've got a good deal of stuff going man... Omni GLHS=epic win!

JaySep 2, 2009, 11:35 pm · #396
200sxkitcarI think when I visit back I'm gonna have to meet this Jay fellow   sounds like you've got a good deal of stuff going man... Omni GLHS=epic win!

The GLHS was my first car at 16. I've driven it twice. Once home with it, I wondered what the numbered badge was on the dash (#073) of which I found out what it was. and once to it's current storage facility, in a bubble.. A GTX, A very special probe (7th one off the assembly line), Had a Shadow Shelby, and a 1st gen neon ACR, But quickly tired of those and sold them.

I luck out quite a bit. As I don't spend much on my cars
It'd be a pleasure to meet ya sterling
seishukuSep 2, 2009, 11:37 pm · #397

When ya planning on being back midwest? Gotta do another meet, and get a nice cali dash from you!

seishukuSep 6, 2009, 9:26 pm · #398

Got a working Bosch WBO2 sensor from my Brother, so I'm back trimming out fuel again.

Ever since I put this straight through muffler on, I can hear the misfiring from over-fueling. The old turbo muffler that was on there was hiding it, apparently. Now I get machine gun fire from my exhaust some times. 10:1 air/fuel ratios will do that.

So the past two days I've been slowly data logging and trimming out fuel.

seishukuSep 8, 2009, 8:20 pm · #399

lol
I'm an idiot.

I forgot to copy the primary fuel map over to the knock fuel map (bad knock sensor), so my adjustments never were being used. No wonder the AFR never changed.

I just fixed it, back on the first try was spot on 11.8:1.
Now, I know that 12.5:1 is ideal for turbos, but I've also been told that more power can be had at around 11.8:1. I suppose I could try both, see which works better. I donno.

Yay, no more 9 and 10:1 ratios!

Edit:
Now, to get a bigger MAF, since that's been maxed out for awhile now (and probably choking the top end).
And get a turbo that doesn't choke out, maybe a smaller T3, or just a T28. Though I do like the spool on my tiny T25g.

ArroSep 9, 2009, 1:28 am · #400

Jay: I started out with turbo Dodges, and I probably know as much as you do about them... in some ways, they're primitive, but that simplicity makes them oh-so-easy to make really fast  I definitely envy you for your GLHS, and storing that baby is the right thing to do for sure.

Matt: when are you going to get back to the S13 rear conversion? you've had it in the title for awhile now