Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

RB25det, June 28th deadline - no sleep until completion. then beer.

Started by RB25sx - SLPR · Jun 13, 2006 · 418postsSMF 2010–26

IggyEGuanaFeb 13, 2013, 6:48 pm · #401

yes. i'd love to see an rb in action. we have a guy here that does proam with an rb s13 but its an rb20 and hes a shitty driver

Jeremy AFeb 14, 2013, 1:03 am · #402
IggyEGuana on 06:48:40 PM / 13-Feb-13
we have a guy here that does proam with an rb s13 but its an rb20 and hes a shitty driver

  :rofl:
sideways_s12Feb 15, 2013, 12:20 pm · #403
IggyEGuana on 06:48:40 PM / 13-Feb-13
yes. i'd love to see an rb in action. we have a guy here that does proam with an rb s13 but its an rb20 and hes a shitty driver


I don't know if you remember but when you first started drifting there was a red s14 with a rb25 in it he bought it from zilvia it was clean as shit and then he slammed the rear into the wall....
IggyEGuanaFeb 15, 2013, 11:30 pm · #404

ya i remember that kid. his name was tyler? or something like that. that car was cleeeeean and then not.

Johnny_boiFeb 16, 2013, 2:29 am · #405

I knew that kid he went to school at UNR. I don't think his name was Tyler tho. Trevor maybe

sideways_s12Feb 21, 2013, 11:19 am · #406
IggyEGuana on 11:30:27 PM / 15-Feb-13
ya i remember that kid. his name was tyler? or something like that. that car was cleeeeean and then not.

Yeah Iwas pretty pissed he wrecked such a clean car lol I know it wasn't mine or anything but it was sooooo clean
JakeRB200sxFeb 25, 2013, 2:25 am · #407

Man that's exciting!  :yes: I was wondering if you could throw some tips my way!? I have a 85 200sx coupe and I have a rb20det just sitting in my shop, just wondering where to start, I have so many questions its unreal. How did you get motor and tranny mounts? Pretty much how did you do your swap

remi_uNderdogJun 24, 2013, 3:53 am · #408

yes i know its dead but any updates... just got through reading this for the 3rd time in the last week. START TO FINISH.

RB25sx - SLPRDec 27, 2013, 1:14 am · #409

Hey guys, car isn't dead just in storage for now. I've made a major move and will need to bring the car out here in the near future, its a life long project for sure. I've picked up an S13 to be going on with, and using it as a test mule for some home brew suspension setups.

I did however wanted to make mention of this, for anyone who has been asking me for advice on how to install the S13 subframe - my first advice is DONT do it.. Unless you have a good dollop of fabrication experience and a good set of welding/fabbing tools..

Secondly, there appears to be this guy who is making a KIT to swap an S13 subframe into a Z31.. Worth a look!

http://www.northwestnissans.com/board/threads/123997-Project-White-Lightning-Z31love

Cheers.

-dan

seishukuDec 27, 2013, 3:21 pm · #410

There's this guy too:
http://club-s12.org/retro4/index.php?topic=37253.msg396855

G-EDec 30, 2013, 2:07 am · #411

Yea that would be me, just fyi that other kit on the NWN link doesn't exist anymore, they've discontinued it with no plans to do another batch

That's mainly why I simplified the kit to it's bare essentials, I can draw up some gusset plates and things to include in the kit, but the idea was to be able to produce them on-demand, at least the hard parts -- the market for them is fairly small, and there's no consistency to what demand there is, no one wants to get stuck with 20 unsold kits for 3yrs

Let me know if you have questions

RB25sx - SLPRDec 31, 2013, 4:48 pm · #412

^

Right on.

I can confirm that the better option here is to adapt the subframe to the car, I originally went this route and it was *relatively painless* however once you start cutting up floor pans to adapt a subframe to the chassis you are in a world of hurt.

I went this route as I wanted to be able to swap subframes in case of damaging the one that is in there, but in retrospect the likelyhood of shattering a subframe like I once did before is low - unless I find my way into a tall curb, with a strong wheel - yet again.

Limiting factors here are someones welding abilities, and knowledge of geometry.

-dan

AlEx_RaCiNg666Jan 13, 2014, 12:13 pm · #413

Take a look at my build thread.
posted image

Alex.

RB25sx - SLPRFeb 3, 2014, 2:22 am · #414

^ Looks good man! I really like how the cage is tied into the suspension pickups points - ALL of them. :)

I've been playing around with making my own suspension arms, gussets, etc.. I have no welder at my current shop as I am somewhat in transit in a house-sitting situation.

Heim joint spacers, custom machine from old bushing inserts:

posted image

4 bolt drift spares:

posted image

DIY traction arms, and toe arms, FLCA extensions and gussets:

posted image

Cant wait to crash this S13 into some buddies.

-dan

AlEx_RaCiNg666Feb 11, 2014, 4:45 pm · #415

Where you will put theses tractions bars?

RB25sx - SLPRFeb 13, 2014, 1:42 am · #416

They do kind of look like 4 links don't they!

No they are Toe arms and Traction Rods for the S13 rear subframe. I have the bracket bolted on the heim end just so I won't lose the pieces. The toe arm rod needs shortening by about an inch, and the traction rod arm about 1/2".

They should hopefully be all together this weekend!

-dan

RB25sx - SLPRMay 7, 2014, 3:41 am · #417

It has been a long winter, but the snow has melted and the fun shall soon begin.

posted image

DoctorDatsunMar 4, 2017, 7:59 pm · #418

Holy hell, what a journey you and your car have been on! I tip my hat to you for your incredible work. In just over a year when I graduate from school I will be embarking on a similar journey with my '86 hatch and (prospectively) an RB20 or 25. Your thread, as well as Colin's, added much excitement, and have me counting down the days until I can fully dive into the build...  :yes:

Do you have any further updates on the car? I know this thread hasn't been posted in for quite a while, however I'm entirely too curious to bite my tongue...