Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

RB25det, June 28th deadline - no sleep until completion. then beer.

Started by RB25sx - SLPR · Jun 13, 2006 · 418postsSMF 2010–26

motoddMay 11, 2012, 2:00 pm · #351

nice project.
I can't wait to see result of your job.   

Johnny_boiMay 11, 2012, 2:11 pm · #352

i love this build keep up the good work. when i get a s12 i want to do the same in the rear with the s13 rear suspenion

RB25sx - SLPRMay 27, 2012, 5:14 am · #353

So I've been pretty busy lately.. Doing some paint work, its my first time doing all this solo - I've almost always had assistance of some kind. I've still not decided on what type of final paint I'll apply, probably a base/clear in a pearlescent white of some kind (I like the newer acura white).

So I cut on my inner fenders, and quickly threw together some metal skins to cover up the holes. Theyre not great - but they will keep my engine bay cleaner than if I had left it open..

posted image

Harness bar mostly finished, and the state of the interior.

posted image

First coat of primer

posted image

Harness bar, primed

posted image

My relatively cramped driver area

posted image

Grey, grey, its all grey..

posted image

posted image

Looks like I will be able to run the stock grill and trim as long as everything goes to plan..

posted image

Other pieces I've been working on include powdercoating my intake manifold and resealing it.. Heres the basically finished product

posted image

Needed a plate to blank off the gap between the pedal box rails, this shoul do nicely

posted image

A custom oil pan was needed to clear the front subframe and steering rack. Aluminium was the choice metal, it is being tig welded by my amigo Warren.. These shots are of mocking it up after tacking a few pieces together.

posted image

posted image

I decided against using the fiberglass S13 bumper.. Instead I took 2 S12 bumpers, hacked them up and made a frankenstein ziptied together mess.. Here it is before paint

posted image

posted image

Much more work yet before I am finished..

-dan

kelso840May 27, 2012, 10:02 am · #354

Is this even an s12 anymore? Can't wait to see it on the move.

RB25sx - SLPRMay 28, 2012, 12:54 am · #355

It is some kind of bastard child. If the car performs as I hope and survives the season, I will probably end up tubing the front and rear and maybe adding in a roll cage. But everything in time, and patience is key..

I decided against going base/clear for paint and am once again going with a single stage paint. Touch ups are far easier, it is cheaper, and faster to apply.. White will once again be the color of choice (in sticking with my amigos color choices). Interior is going to remain gray, white would probably glare far far too much (even gray might be bad).

Once the engine bay sees paint, let the reassembly begin..

-dan

RB25sx - SLPRJun 1, 2012, 2:49 am · #356

Bunch of white shit fell on this car!

posted image

posted image

posted image

Reassembly begins this weekend..

-dan

BattleFairyJun 2, 2012, 11:11 am · #357

more details about the bumper.... i demand!

IggyEGuanaJun 2, 2012, 11:16 pm · #358

Sick firewall modding

RB25sx - SLPRJun 4, 2012, 12:49 am · #359
posted image

posted image

posted image

posted image

posted image

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

-dan
RB25sx - SLPRJun 7, 2012, 1:54 pm · #360

Such.. Long.. Hours..

Brakes are plumbed with all new lines/fittings, Shifter hole cut, and shifter mounted, trans and motor are fully bolted in, V-mount setup almost complete, oil pan going in for final welding, driveshaft about to be shortened 5.25" (measured and marked).

I BOUGHT GEAR OIL TODAY.. This means I am getting very very close...

This is going to have been (personally) the most difficult month or two of my life, some very tumultuous times have transpired and the whole while I have been essentially broke due to this car.. At the moment all I feel I can rely on are this car, and my dog (dogs are the best).

In a few days it will be the 6 year anniversary of when I started this build thread, and I had the car even longer than that (got it in december of 2005).. She has come a long way, and I have too.

Anyways guys. It is close.

-dan

ArroJun 7, 2012, 2:27 pm · #361

Wow what a long road it's been indeed... keep us posted! I've had tough times of my own before, even not all that long ago, so I know how it feels.

David BJun 14, 2012, 12:37 am · #362
:) keep at it! loving the progress, that drivers area does looked cramped though!
Drft-s12Jun 14, 2012, 8:22 pm · #363

This is dope....truly one of a kind keep it up

RB25sx - SLPRJun 18, 2012, 12:54 pm · #364

Uhhhhhh I've been doing some things...

posted image

posted image

posted image

posted image

posted image

10 days until my deadline.. Can it be done? I don't even have an oil pan yet..

-dan

BattleFairyJun 19, 2012, 2:31 am · #365

wow

MONSTAR SPEC

ProlowtoneJun 19, 2012, 4:56 am · #366

Damn it looks good

RB25sx - SLPRJun 19, 2012, 7:56 pm · #367

I've decided to not risk my investment to shit tires, mounted 4 brand new 215/45/17 GT radial champiro HPYs as 'burners'. Fronts will be 205/45/17 toyo proxes 4. I'll give a run down on how good or shit these tires were.

bring da smoke.

-dan

D-sport S12Jun 20, 2012, 8:09 pm · #368

I here ya on the tires, definitely keep us posted on the tires..... I was looking into buying a set of champiros to burn

BabyJun 20, 2012, 10:48 pm · #369

Christ almighty! To imagine this thing ever had a spot of rust on it seems ridiculous.

RB25sx - SLPRJun 25, 2012, 3:51 am · #370

Tomorrow is the day I find out if this thing will sputter to life to give me another season of smoke and magic.

posted image

My friend cole chalmers cut some dope drop vents into my hood.. le dope.

posted image

-dan

D-sport S12Jun 25, 2012, 1:14 pm · #371

Sick! I want Cole to do drop vents on my hood

RB25sx - SLPRJun 25, 2012, 1:20 pm · #372

Bring an angle grinder, a measuring tape, and a marker to the DUI.. Prepare to be vented.

-dan

Jeremy AJun 25, 2012, 6:35 pm · #373

Cool!!!  I saw it on the 240posse tumblr,  badass.

D-sport S12Jun 25, 2012, 10:38 pm · #374
RB25sx - SLPR on 01:20:12 PM / 25-Jun-12Bring an angle grinder, a measuring tape, and a marker to the DUI.. Prepare to be vented.

-dan

I'm missing the DUI, I get back from work 2 days after, not happy....
RB25sx - SLPRJun 27, 2012, 11:24 am · #375

It runs, it drives, it leaks before the turbo like a fucking sieve.

I'll fix it in the long run but for now - I am taking a short break from this damn thing.

-dan

RB25sx - SLPRJul 19, 2012, 12:28 pm · #376

Sooo..

Car is finished, but there will forever be 1000 small items to fix on it - but as of right now.. its drivable.

posted image

posted image

posted image

-dan

cutter67Jul 19, 2012, 3:59 pm · #377
:yay!: :yay!: :yay!: :yay!: i am really happy for you great job cant wait to see first vid of smoke pouring of the back wheels
ProlowtoneJul 20, 2012, 5:43 am · #378

Hot Damn posted image

RB25sx - SLPRJul 20, 2012, 12:03 pm · #379

Bahhaha, good shit.

I built my e-brake in such a way that it was ever-so-slightly engaged, and effectively locked my rear brakes ON.. *sniff* *sniff* whats that smell? BRAKE PADS. Also, my lower rad hose was weeping on the drive home, the timing was way off so I had next to no power, my temperature gauge also decided to take a vacation.

The car is FUCKING LOW. I was scraping on sections of road that seemed to have no high spots or potholes or anything.. Speedbumps are out of the question, as is all forms of daily driving.

Suspension feels fucking tight though, like it should have a long, long time ago..

-dan

RB25sx - SLPRAug 7, 2012, 4:27 pm · #380

Car grips and grips HARD. I feel like it would almost make a better autocross car now than drift car.

 Alignment is as follows:

Front: 6.5 deg caster, -6deg camber, 0 toe
Rear: -1 deg camber, .06" toe out

Thrust is off by less than .03", which essentials mean the subframe is in STRAIGHT.

Oh, also.. I blew up my motor on saturday.. Oops. Need a new RB25, possibly RB26.

-dan

420-86notchAug 7, 2012, 5:06 pm · #381

dude that sux :cantlook: but such is the nature of the beast. the next one will be just as fun. keep your head up  :yes:

ProlowtoneAug 7, 2012, 9:45 pm · #382

Hope you find one. If it comes down to it I can price one at my friends shop

RB25sx - SLPRAug 8, 2012, 1:28 pm · #383

Who is your friend? Pete?

-dan

ProlowtoneAug 8, 2012, 2:33 pm · #384

Nope, West coast Hotrods in surrey, it kind of a drive.. and a ferry ride. Gonna try to stop by there before work and ill ask what they have an how much. I think they are out of 25s but have a few 26s

David BAug 14, 2012, 5:49 pm · #385

just buy a autoswap at a importer..

or go jz ;)

RB25sx - SLPRAug 14, 2012, 8:12 pm · #386

I do have a 1JZ sitting in my basement.. And I had considered it because IMO 1J > RB25

Motor might be ok, gonna drop the crank girdle and check the bearings this week. It will hurt to drain the $70 worth of royal purple though.. Ouch.

-dan

I_heart_VVLAug 14, 2012, 9:49 pm · #387

Do it! :D

ProlowtoneAug 15, 2012, 7:19 am · #388

Goodluck! hope its alright.

RB25sx - SLPRAug 17, 2012, 1:29 am · #389

Well.. I guess TECHNICALLY it got sideways.. But it was so down on power I couldn't push wide, and it was actually cutting out mid corner as well..

Time for wideband and standalone..

posted image

posted image

-dan

Navy_Mech2Aug 17, 2012, 12:56 pm · #390

is this with another RB or the 1J you had in the basement?

sideways_s12Aug 27, 2012, 2:46 am · #391

I think that's the rb before it blew?
Post Merge


Sux that it blew pull it and rebuild it....
RB25sx - SLPRSep 11, 2012, 9:24 pm · #392

So. I'm buying an S14 this weekend. I've got a need to drift like no other, I still plan on fixing the S12 but this will hold me over and ensure I "Do it right" and don't just rush it.

Rod and main bearings likely all need replacement, might be able to get away without a complete rebuild.. Will probably be dropping the crank to send it for polishing and perhaps to get the oil pump drive extended (common RB problem). Block also needs a piston oil squirter replaced (may explain some oil pressure issues)..

Short list of things for this winter: clean up wiring, new turbo manifold, new turbo, stainless downpipe, wideband O2

-dan

RB25sx - SLPRSep 19, 2012, 2:18 am · #393

The new drift whippe

posted image

S12 is not dead, I am just going to take my time and get that engine properly sorted.

-dan

420-86notchSep 19, 2012, 11:53 am · #394

nice angle. what is the motor in the s14? lots of mods? its cool but not s12 cool  :no:

BabySep 21, 2012, 5:08 am · #395

That's dope

RB25sx - SLPROct 30, 2012, 11:30 pm · #396

Bearings are ordered, moving house into a place with it's own garage.. Small but dry space to work.

Also, le S14 le wet.

posted image

-dan

RB25sx - SLPRFeb 11, 2013, 3:40 am · #397

Many improvements to the car's usability, reliability, and performance are underway..

The beginnings of a new exhaust manifold.. A ball bearing turbo of somewhat secret specs is being put into place.

posted image

A small heater core, with a custom made windshield defrost plenum adapter..

posted image

Heater core plugged into the plenum, also my new switch panel. Factory fusebox is going by the wayside in an attempt to further clean up the wiring mess.

posted image

FR sport completely shit the bed on my bearing order, I am still looking for bearings at the moment.

-dan

D-sport S12Feb 11, 2013, 3:56 am · #398

Well I'm just about to undertake some of my wiring mess with the same kind of idea as you

IggyEGuanaFeb 11, 2013, 4:36 pm · #399

Fucking sick

RB25sx - SLPRFeb 13, 2013, 1:51 am · #400

I should come down to Vegas and slide with you and your fellow fellows.

-dan