Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

RB25det, June 28th deadline - no sleep until completion. then beer.

Started by RB25sx - SLPR · Jun 13, 2006 · 418postsSMF 2010–26

RB25sx - SLPRJul 23, 2007, 2:56 am · #51
gadget1382question, as in i'm not sold on them yet... they look different, but i'm not sure if they look good or not

The comment about the thermo's was that if they are curved blades / fin's they will not work anywhere near as good if you just wired them so they go in reverse. The fan is optimised to go in one direction only.

But if you have done it properly, hats off! i just am looking out for potential over heating issues, as i've experienced them ... and it aint pretty.


I am aware of the overheating issue. And to be honest, they DONT push nearly as well as they pull (I swapped the blade direction).. But we are working on a budget here. Do you know of any 10" fans off hand which are set up as pushers? More than that, i'd be worried about the fact that I am using a single core rad from a 240 with a single cam KA. But afterall I DO live in Canada .

I'll post videos as soon as it's running. Hoping for 295BHP with the bolt-ons I've completed. Might be dyno'ing it August 8th.

Still in the process of wiring. I want to get this shit right, I already fried one ECU because the case was warped and shorted out some pins!!  

-Dan
gadget1382Jul 23, 2007, 7:49 am · #52

You should be ok then. If you swapped the blades around.

Canada's pretty cool.

The only RB setup i've seen here had a custom radiator that was 2.5" thick in the aircon's location. Was only able to fit one pull themo, and had a push one on the other side.

Still yet to see how it goes now. But it used to run ok before it was drifted into a wall. I helped put it into a new shell, but required alot of work since i last saw it.

IggyEGuanaJul 28, 2007, 1:14 am · #53

If you haven't decided on a seat yet and want to go the inexpensive route a CRX seat is pretty nice and very low.

http://hondaswap.com/attachments/893d11587...-3-interior.jpg

The underside of the seat is bucketed down to make the sitting position very low.  If you flipped one of these seats on its side you'd see what I mean.

RB25sx - SLPRJul 29, 2007, 2:57 pm · #54

It lives..

After triple checking my wiring (powered up the harness without the ecu plugged in).. I attached the ecu.. Flicked my fuel pump toggle activator, and turned the key..

Three blips of the starter and it fired up like a champ. Now all I need is to figure out what goddamn pitch those vacuum port fitting are on the greddy manifold, get a longer throttle cable, and route some vacuum lines and it will be driveable. IT EVEN IDLES NICELY!!!

Videos will follow..

-Dan

gadget1382Jul 29, 2007, 7:01 pm · #55

Massive congrats mate. I remember hearing my car start for the first time over the phone, when the car was at the auto elec's. I was beaming and then wanting to rush over and take it for a long drive... only issue was the trans wasnt in working order  

Nothing like a pick me up in the middle of a long build to push you over the line.

RB25sx - SLPRJul 29, 2007, 11:24 pm · #56

Video quality isnt the best, it was a cell phone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsxsbGb7iLY

The sudden "Whoa whoa stop it" and discussion on the metal shavings is no cause to be worried. It was the cam angle sensor - somehow it was rubbing against the cam gear bolts.. I took it off, cleaned it up and its fine..

I'm the guy in the red shirt whos running around.. My favorite line "Lets go get beers, guys".

Engine is messy with wires and hoses and shit like that, but this is of course still a work in progress.

-Dan

gadget1382Jul 30, 2007, 6:26 am · #57

woo hoo!!

RB25sx - SLPRAug 1, 2007, 1:00 am · #58

Tonight the car moved under it's own power..

I've patched the transmission tunnel, built an air intake, bolted on the axles, installed the dash, wired the cluster (not working yet), installed my switch panel, shortened my tie rods, and fixed a coolant leak..

The biggest issue by far was the front brake rotors.. Running maxima calipers on 350z rotors definetly has some challenges.. I had to have the rotors thinned from 24mm to 22mm, then I had to have them narrowed from a 294mm diameter to 290mm.. Then I had to put 2mm spacers between the caliper and knuckle because the rotor OFFSET was different.. Man, what a nightmare.. But hey, for anyone who is running S13 front suspension its a totally DO-ABLE upgrade.. 350z (non brembo) rotors, 1993 maxima calipers, turn the rotors down by my specs, and use those washers as spacers and you're laughing!! This thing should stop on a dime.

There are problems though, a grinding 'brrrrrrzzzzzzz' sound from the transmission.. Going to check fluid level tomorrow and tighten down the shifter plate.. I REALLY hope I dont need a new tranny - because they run about 1000$ or more...

-Dan

200sxkitcarAug 1, 2007, 10:16 pm · #59

This is phenomenal.  I don't think when this club started I ever imagined that anyone would ever go this far with an S12, to the level you have.  Congradulations on your successful build, you are truely an inspiration to us all.  Something like this I could see being done in a shop, but for a guy to do it in his/friends garage, is badass

RB25sx - SLPRAug 2, 2007, 9:10 am · #60
200sxkitcarThis is phenomenal.  I don't think when this club started I ever imagined that anyone would ever go this far with an S12, to the level you have.  Congradulations on your successful build, you are truely an inspiration to us all.  Something like this I could see being done in a shop, but for a guy to do it in his/friends garage, is badass  

For lack of a better word, i'm flattered.

In 200 (250sx now) related news, it now officially runs and drives. I am now taking care of legality issues which include:

-Speedometer
-Signals (done)
-Headlight wiring (done)
-Horn (need momentary switch)
-Bumper cover needs mounting
-Fenders need to be fastened down

Wish me luck on inspection boyos!

-Dan
NitroAug 2, 2007, 12:41 pm · #61

It's just awesome! The whole build is! Good luck on inspection, man!

EternalSwapAug 2, 2007, 4:04 pm · #62

Fuck yeah, make a "Datsun 250SX" emblem decal for the rear. Haha!

Thats bad ass dude, congrats.

NitroAug 2, 2007, 4:33 pm · #63

Silvia GT-R

RB25sx - SLPRAug 2, 2007, 11:21 pm · #64

I actually already have a "250sx" sticker made up.. My buddy works at the sign shop.

Tonight I re-wired the headlights, hooked the thermo rad fan relay up, bled the brakes, tucked wires, plumbed my greddy catch can, and painted my trunk.

Car gets prepped for spray tomorrow - its going to be a dark grey/gunmetal.

-Dan

gerrybgAug 6, 2007, 7:30 pm · #65

Fantastic on everything. (Oh except headlights,looks like 80's mazda 929 with them yuk!)

NitroAug 7, 2007, 12:27 am · #66

I don't like headlight also, but if the owner likes it - it'll do.

danginaAug 7, 2007, 1:16 am · #67

thats completely badass!!! bump for somemore videos!!!!

RB25sx - SLPRAug 7, 2007, 8:28 am · #68
gerrybgFantastic on everything. (Oh except headlights,looks like 80's mazda 929 with them yuk!)


I absolutely haaaaaaate pop-ups. I will eventually convert to something different and just straight up rectangular - but these will do for now..

Car has running issues - its super rich! I'm going over all my sensor voltages, and changing some components (water temp sensor, spark plugs, checking for boost leaks etc..

Videos to come once its running respectably.

-Dan
sideways_s12Aug 16, 2007, 2:59 pm · #69

damn man that's fucking awesome and it's a notch fuckin sweet bro good job on the car and goodluck with the future of it

DraconisAug 19, 2007, 12:25 pm · #70

Dont make a Silvia GT-R.  I did that and ppl got heaps of mad cause the only GT-R  in any car should be a RB26 powered one.  Actually, yours would be considered a 250SR.  If you go by the name of the Z31 with the RB20, it was called a 200ZR.  200 for the liter, Z for the chassis and R for RB or race spec.  Iono.  That could be considered p.c. in some ways, but ppl still get all stupid about it.

gadget1382Aug 19, 2007, 8:39 pm · #71

Silvia RS - R ?
or
Silvia RS - S

With the S15 Silvia / 200SX here, they have spec R and Spec S depending on the lux or race spec.

Silvia GT would work... and GT-R people are less likely to get peeved too...

RB25sx - SLPRAug 20, 2007, 12:58 am · #72

Car runs fucking unbeliveable right now...

Cuts insane biscuits, except for when my friend almost put it into the trees.

Still need to get the tach working. Digital speedometer is a go, and Prosport Boost, fuel pres, oil pres, etc are all working..

This car is all I could have hoped for..

Colour is a gunmetal (Gloss black mixed with 10% aluminium color)...

Pictures to come!

-Dan

NitroAug 20, 2007, 1:06 am · #73

Waiting for pics and promised video!

XanoAug 21, 2007, 10:12 am · #74

Hey on the naming spec, call it a Nissan Sivlia SX-R

awesome job getting such a beastly engine into such a small space

also, get that beast on a dyno and a track, get us some qtr mile times. =)

NitroSep 1, 2007, 2:24 am · #75

How the progress is going with the car? Can't wait to see it completed and video from the test runs!

KLOXSep 8, 2007, 3:45 pm · #76

WHERE IS THE DAMN PICS AND THE DAMN VIDEO!? DAMN!

XanoSep 8, 2007, 5:49 pm · #77
KLOXWHERE IS THE DAMN PICS AND THE DAMN VIDEO!? DAMN!
KLOX, "only adults like us can say damn, bitch ass, and hell, so get your bitch ass the hell in that damn room now, damnit" -ATHF
RB25sx - SLPRSep 11, 2007, 2:31 am · #78

The car has completed a 6300km journey. Travelling from Charlottetown PEI to Victoria BC (Across the entirety of Canada) in 8 days..

I suppose you can call that a success.  I couldnt be happier.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/deanchromier/200sx%20revival/DSCF2743.jpg)

The black&white doesnt show the colour, but its a dark grey gunmetal - a 400$ single stage paint job done in the back shop of my buddy's garage..

Videos of biscuits to be posted once my friend gets off his ass and posts them.

-Dan

IggyEGuanaSep 11, 2007, 8:21 pm · #79

Wow I wish that pic had color just for the view.  I fucking love Canada.

gabesn200sxSep 11, 2007, 9:38 pm · #80

I'm really impressed!! I am a long time owner of an 84 200sx. I've spent a lot of time keeping the ca20 running for about 200K miles. It's about done its deed and I'm deciding on whether to fix it, or just do a swap. I think I know now what I want to do. Now just wondering what engine to go with. I can't believe you fit that 25 in there that's awesome. I want to congradulate you with your accomplishment. I would like to see video of it running and driving. Great Job. By the way, I've had my 200 since I was 16, about 10 years now. I can't seem to let it go. It just grows on you. Gotta love those s-12s....

asparagusSep 11, 2007, 9:50 pm · #81

Please don't make up some name that never existed for our car like sx-r gt-r pg-r jk-r fx-r or anything. If you SERIOUSLY want to waste your time and money making making a sticker to call it something it isn't, I suppose 250sx is more than enough since the numbers at least imply the displacement.

edit: the car looks great! multilink rear <3

sideways_s12Sep 13, 2007, 7:53 pm · #82

man That is one sweet ride

SHIFT_LOVESep 13, 2007, 8:29 pm · #83

im sojealous... post pics of everything finished, interior suspension engine bay front end video dehhh cmon im anticipating this one

RB25sx - SLPRSep 13, 2007, 11:48 pm · #84

So driving down the road the other day, and the car quits. I had just cleaned out the MAF (I allowed it to dry as well), well as it turns out it didnt like that. Perhaps the caked on layer of dirt on the element was protecting it.

I took the opportunity to rip out the EFI harness and I am going over the whole thing and RE-LOOMING it. I will also delete my rats nest wiring and generally tidy it up.

Also, the tie rod ends were rotten (aftermarket, but under an awesome warranty from an awesome company) so I ripped the front end apart.

Here are some pics of the interior with the AE86 seats. It shows the hurriedness of the final assembly with the bad fitment of the cluster and the clumsily located tach etc.. As I said, still a work in progress.

The car is BACK TO ITS ORIGINS now that I have almost no tools out here in BC.. With a jerry can holding the brake assembly, and a cinderblock keepin' it real on the frame rail!
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/deanchromier/DSCF2764.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/deanchromier/DSCF2767.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/deanchromier/DSCF2766.jpg)

So what do you all think of the colour? It's custom - we call it "Captain morgans drunkard grey".

-Dan

PS- Still waiting on my friend to upload the biscuit video that was done in PEI.

NitroSep 14, 2007, 1:48 am · #85

The places for popup lights on the hoods is not smoothened out completely - I can see they were there, haha
And take off this things out of your seats!

In other that'll do for the beginning.  Waiting for some vids!

RB25sx - SLPRSep 14, 2007, 3:32 am · #86
NitroThe places for popup lights on the hoods is not smoothened out completely - I can see they were there, haha
And take off this things out of your seats!

In other that'll do for the beginning.  Waiting for some vids!


I dont really care that the hood wasnt completely smoothed out.. If I wanted to I could have taken an extra 20 hours and gone over the car (pre - primer) with a fine tooth comb but I really dont care how the car looks.. It is intended to be a track car. The deletion of the pop-ups was more of a weight saving and aerodynamic measure than an visual appearance issue.

Also, when you drive 6000 km on stock AE86 seats without padding, you tell me how your ass feels   . Not too nice! The stock 200 seat on the driver side had rebar poking through it so I junked them reaaaaaal fast.

-Dan
OzchuckSep 14, 2007, 4:54 am · #87

How high do they sit?

NitroSep 14, 2007, 12:39 pm · #88
RB25sx - SLPRI dont really care that the hood wasnt completely smoothed out.. If I wanted to I could have taken an extra 20 hours and gone over the car (pre - primer) with a fine tooth comb but I really dont care how the car looks.. It is intended to be a track car. The deletion of the pop-ups was more of a weight saving and aerodynamic measure than an visual appearance issue.

Also, when you drive 6000 km on stock AE86 seats without padding, you tell me how your ass feels   . Not too nice! The stock 200 seat on the driver side had rebar poking through it so I junked them reaaaaaal fast.

-Dan

That completely answers my questions, thanks!  
PremoSep 14, 2007, 12:40 pm · #89

if i had a grampa he would use those seat covers.  lol  and what asparagus said about the name.  the car is sick tho man, good work!  
*internet high five*

JackalopeSep 14, 2007, 1:01 pm · #90

whats is the little light sticking out from underneath the plastic kinda near the shifter??

TalkingGoatsNov 19, 2007, 4:03 pm · #91

BUMP FOR BURNOUT VIDEO! OR 0-200k pull!

Seriously though.... O.O

RB25sx - SLPRNov 20, 2007, 2:49 pm · #92
DeathAndMajestyBUMP FOR BURNOUT VIDEO! OR 0-200k pull!

Seriously though.... O.O


I am working on it. I've rebuilt the entire wiring harness and trimmed out the rats nest of old engine bay wiring. I believe i've got a maf sensor or a fuel pressure issue (My fuel pressure gauge shows sporatic readings).

Working a full time job + full time computer systems student = makes me busy..

We are working on it though!

She currently is all back together in one piece and has a brand new set of tie rod ends on it, I also fastened my fire extinguisher in the trunk solidly.

Thanks for the bump and reminder!

-Dan
NitroNov 20, 2007, 3:12 pm · #93
RB25sx - SLPRWorking a full time job + full time computer systems student = makes me busy..


Now that's what I tried to tell to DeadPirate!  Respect, man!
RB25sx - SLPRNov 23, 2007, 11:42 pm · #94

ITS ALIVE! (AGAIN)

Ended up being a simple fueling issue, I have a piece of flexline patching part of the fuel line where it was ruptured by a careless drill hole, the fittings came loose and I was letting air in and fuel out.

Got it running again, but there are major idle issues, and potentially some vaccuum leaks and timing problems.

I'll get that video asap once shes done (maybe this weekend).

-Dan

falkhenNov 24, 2007, 12:17 am · #95

yeah i tracked down. issue with mine RB20DET couldn't figure out why it was ideling so high.
1100~1300rpms to high..

if you look at the English RB32 service manual it will tell you wrong info on the timing marks there backwards. the service manual reads the marks counter clockwise 30° to 0°. ok in that iet the timing at 15°TDC  adjusted the idel speed. so it was idleing at 709~689rpms as a test and the car ran like dogshit. i check it twice.. what the hell. becuase im used to working with subaru's and various Swedish cars. i tried it again thinking that it was back wards.
0°~30°
and set it 15° TDC the idle came up( this is a good sign) didn't adjust just yet. i have one of those timing lights that lets me set the advance so all i have to do is set 0°.

car drove like a champ. adjusted the idle accordingly.

my car no longer idles very high and dies every time im driving more then 5 minuets at a
time.

your car looks little like a Pintara with those headlights.

RB25sx - SLPRNov 26, 2007, 7:07 pm · #96

On a cold afternoon, the beast was awoken from it's slumber..

Though churning through cold oil, and riddled with vaccuum leaks, she still fired up. I have since fixed the sputtering off-throttle reponse (IAC valve) and the lifters have replenished themselves with oil.

Nonetheless, here is a breif teaser video of the initial startup.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v230/dea...nt=P1010083.flv (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v230/deanchromier/?action=view&current=P1010083.flv)

-Dan

KLOXNov 26, 2007, 7:31 pm · #97

congrats man! u did it!

NitroNov 27, 2007, 1:49 am · #98

Glad to see it runnin', congrats! Now set it up properly and give us the burnout vid already! )

asparagusNov 29, 2007, 6:45 am · #99

I've been looking into a multilink swap for quite some time and I really only have one question. It looks like the front mounting locations for the subframe...fit our original mounting location bolts? Am I right? It looks like it went right in, and you just needed to make new mounts for the rear of the subframe?

RB25sx - SLPRNov 30, 2007, 1:05 am · #100
asparagusI've been looking into a multilink swap for quite some time and I really only have one question. It looks like the front mounting locations for the subframe...fit our original mounting location bolts? Am I right? It looks like it went right in, and you just needed to make new mounts for the rear of the subframe?

If only it were that easy my friend..

Infact NONE of the mounting locations lined up, I just made it look like that..

What I did was cut the front mounts off the S12 subframe (and left a 6 inch tab on them), and then sliced the bushing off the S13 subframe.

Then I took literally hundreds of measurements, and jacked the subfram into place in such a way that the wheel would be centered, this involved compensating for yaw and pitch.

After that I measured from various chassis points to points on the subframe to 'triangulate' it into place.

The next step was a very archaic one, basically once I had measured and it "looked" right, I bolted the cut off S12 subframe bushings with 6" tabs in place and then welded them directly (after some trimming from an angle grinder) to the S13 subframe.

There is a crossmember in the trunk (I believe it is the same on coupes and hatches) which lines up PERFECTLY with the location of the rear mounts on the S13 independent rear. But it is not built to handle the loads - so it needs to be beefed up..

I drilled a 3/4" hole through the crossmember straight down from the trunk, then beefed up the entry and exit holes, then I dropped in 3/4" allthread and literally "slung" the subframe underneath..

Then I sent the subframe out for welding to have the transition from S13 subframe --> S12 bushing cleaned up. Now it looks fantastic.

Bolted it in place and we're half way there...

The next part was the shock tower construction. The s13 (As im sure you all know) uses a spring on shock assembly vs the S12 seperate shock and spring.. It was a scary moment the time I literally began slicing my shock towers out.. They were in such good shape!

Then I built the alignment jigs (pictured earlier) to locate the position of the shock mount, and went from there..

This was indeed a very huge endeavor and overall in the entire build consumed roughly 20% of the total workload AT LEAST! This basically means it took about 100 man hours or more (From me, and unexperienced builder). But now i've got a car that is basically an S13 running with an S12 body, and Skyline drivetrain..

What fun!

-Dan

PS- When I take apart the rear end, I will snap pictures and post a more elaborate write up.. But trust me, this is not for the faint of heart.