good thing we're in bc eh Raymond?
hasn't been really deep snow here for a LONG time. not since I was a little kid.
Browse › Tech ›Brakes, suspension and wheels
Update on Spring Status
This thread was saved without dates. "Around May 2005" is estimated from neighbouring threads.
Actually it was easier to drive east of the rockies then here in BC. We get the wet snow here (if you can make a snow ball then the snow is wet) and when it's "wet" it's easier to slide. When I was living in Edmonton I had the stock OEM Bridgestone G03s and I have no problem driving around town. Here I have a pair of snow tires and a set of cable chains for insurance. The snow tires with the big wide groves pack the snow together to give you grip. Narrower tires also help because with a smaller contact surface area you have a greater load per square inch and thus a "heavier" foot print.
You can put me down for a set. when midnight meyham starts back here in feb. i want to make a big impression with a car that you dont see here in vegas.
I won't be driving if there's 6in, but the snow clearance shouldn't be an issue?
I have yet to get stuck; scratch that I have yet to get stuck, and not be able to get my self out, so i would say you should have no problems. ;) 8)
okay, fronts are being developed
rears we have to wait until we figure out a camber kit.
I made an appointment for wed @ 9:30am to have a look at the setup and see what we can do.
Tru...is there ganna be a drift set up made...such as a higher rate in the rear or is it ganna be just one set up made? And again how much are they ganna be?
for now, just one set
they're not even sure how well THIS set will sell so unless they see a big demand, I don't think they'll wanna make a completely new set.
however, they WILL make custom sets..but it'll be more expensive.
no definded price yet, but matt(mr.200) was quoted $100 - $124 CDN for a set of 4.
camber kit would be anywhere upto like $124cdn also.
Sounds good... sounds good... I Want A Set! and ummm... can you convert that into USD? I'm to lazy to check the web but for sure I'm in for a set of springs.
using a conversion of 1.2 that's around
$83USD - $103USD + shipping & brokerage
for the washington state guys, I dont mind you guys paying for it and having me pick it up for ya. then just come across the border and pick it up from my place.
you save on shipping and brokerage fees. just gotta pay tax at the border.
Sounds good, but what is brokerage? :|
just another charge they tack on.
I may be missing something, but why do they need a rear camber kit to make the rear springs work?? There are aftermarket spring sets for the Z31 and no camber kits needed for them...
it's because of the drop.
1.75" w/ a bolt in camber kit
1.25" w/o a bolt in camber kit
that's what I thought we agreed upon.
I may be missing something, but why do they need a rear camber kit to make the rear springs work?? There are aftermarket spring sets for the Z31 and no camber kits needed for them...
The lower you go the worse the - camber will be. Mines at -3 degrees on both rears with the Tokico 1" drop. There use to be camber correction kits avail. for the z31 made by Speciality Products. This kit also was the same part # for the s12. There were 2 kits avail. 1.0 degree correction, and 1.5 degree correction
Oh I realize about the camber problem, I just couldn't understand why that would prevent the springs from going in, and now I see that it is not that the springs won't go it, it is that they won't and keep the height that most people want.
Assuming some of us (me) doesn't care about the camber kit, when will they have all the springs done??
Not to put this on a downside or anything... but, I hope these springs don't fail on us.
What I mean is... breaking... ( knock on wood... :( )
But from what I hear from this thread it seems like these springs won't fail. Right Indy?
the springs will be fine.
I've heard nothing about good things about these guys and their springs.
all their springs under 2" in drop are warrantied also
the springs will be fine.
I've heard nothing about good things about these guys and their springs.
all their springs under 2" in drop are warrantied also
Alright, cool. I just wanted to hear the Ok! on this and its all set...
With that all said, I'm definitly in for a set of these.
cool cool
when I see them on thursday, I'll try to confirm a price and finished production date.
cool cool
when I see them on thursday, I'll try to confirm a price and finished production date.
Cool...keep up the good work Indy...8)
Assuming some of us (me) doesn't care about the camber kit, when will they have all the springs done??
Yeah you say that now..... but when your eating tires like crazy I bet you'll start caring :lol:
I rotate my tires every 1500 miles , and there's already signs of wear by that point.....and thats only with a 1" drop!
Well, enough of "my 2 cents" you guys will see what i'm talking about soon enough :cheers:
On a different note....will the springs be able to be bought in pairs? Cuz I would be interested in bringing down the front a little more.
dunno if they'll do front and rear seperately.
I'll ask on wed when I see them.
Yeah you say that now..... but when your eating tires like crazy I bet you'll start caring :lol:
I rotate my tires every 1500 miles , and there's already signs of wear by that point.....and thats only with a 1" drop!
Well, enough of "my 2 cents" you guys will see what i'm talking about soon enough :cheers:
On a different note....will the springs be able to be bought in pairs? Cuz I would be interested in bringing down the front a little more.
I chew up tires fast enough that it won't matter about the camber...;) 8) *lol*
Yeah you say that now..... but when your eating tires like crazy I bet you'll start caring :lol:
I rotate my tires every 1500 miles , and there's already signs of wear by that point.....and thats only with a 1" drop!
Keith, as I stated earlier in this thread, I have over a 2" drop, and my camber is only at 3.1 degrees negative, so I'm not sure how you manage 3 degrees negative at only a 1" drop. One of us is an oddity. Oh yeah, and start cornering harder. LOL
Keith, as I stated earlier in this thread, I have over a 2" drop, and my camber is only at 3.1 degrees negative, so I'm not sure how you manage 3 degrees negative at only a 1" drop. One of us is an oddity. Oh yeah, and start cornering harder. LOL
Alan has the same Tokico's as mine and has -2.5 degree camber.........., but also has 6.5" rims which is probably why his - camber is .5 degrees less than mine.
What size rims and tires are you running...spooled? Cuz if their wider than that...then more than likely thats why your -camber isn't any worse than it is.
As stated earlier.....when I had 225/50s I had no - camber issues. It wasn't until I got the 205/55s when the wear started.
The tokicos advertised a 1 inch drop but it could very well be a little more as it seems the rear sits lower than the front by a decent amount. I have them also and it may be a little more than an inch who knows. I do have -2.5 degrees of camber with 15x6.5 in wheels. Most camber i would want is -3 degrees or so. Also dependending upon how long Keith has had his tokico springs they may have settled more over time. I have only had mine a few years as I got them when they were closing them out.
Ohh, and my springs are only about 3 years old.
True and my Tokico springs are about 2 years old or so.
I'm running the stock SE wheels with the stock sized 205/60/15 tires.
How wide are the stock SE rims? The stock turbo rims are 6".
I wonder if your taller sidewall helps correct the - camber some? :dontknow:
The stock SE wheels are also 6" wide. Not sure about what affect a taller sidewall would have. I'll be getting an alignment come spring with a 6.5" wheel and 205/50/15 tire. I'll see if the camber specs change between the different setups.
I don't see a logical reason by putting thicker sidewalls on can "fix" camber. The suspention geometery will be exactly the same. Putting thicker sidewalls will raise your car up. The good part about this is that it will have more sidewall flex helping with better tire wear. You can also get wider than 205 on the stock wheels to create the same affect. I.E. stock 205/60/15 wider 225/60/15. I also have over a 2" drop and I don't have an issue with camber over 3.1 degrees negative with my stock wheels. The narrower and thiner your tires are the more of a differince you will see with wear due to less sidewall flex. :) I personaly don't like tire roll but it helps with normal driving.
Just put wider tires than is suppose to be on your rims and you'll be fine.
Just put wider tires than is suppose to be on your rims and you'll be fine.
Yeah.....thats the plan. I plan to go back to a 225/50 after the 205/55's wear out.
okay, just got back from getting the VERY FIRST SET INSTALLED!!!! heh.
the ride is GREAT, the car feels a LOT punchier..and I can get the wheels spinning NO problem right now around corners(it's raining also).
feel a really big improvement. the ride isn't too bad. I need to let the springs settle tho.
there's some issues tho. from where my car was sitting before..I have around 1.25" drop all around.
Front Fender to Floor
Before: 25 3/4"
After: 24.5"
Rear Fender to Floor
Before: 25 5/8"
After: 24 3/4"
There's a slight rake of 5/8" with the rear being higher. not too much..gives the car a meaner profile tho.
don't be confused tho. there is a 1.75" drop. what happened was, we took original fender to floor measurements on my car..and then tested spring rates on the springs from Bossman.
we measured mine...and there's around 100lbs difference between the two sets of springs. that translates to around 1/2" drop. SO, that's where the other 1/2" drop went. it was already on the car heh.
what can be done is we can either keep it the way it is, or see if we can lower it some more if you guys want. I'm pretty happy with the height. gives a nice profile, but dont' have to worry about speed bumps.
but again, the springs haven't had time to settle completely yet.
as far as camber kits go. they were looking to basically expand on the idea from the crappy camber kit. But the difference is...it won't be simply drilling a new hole and mounting higher. what's gonna happen is part of the toe adjustment will be removed, and a new bracket which is a lot beefier would be welded in to take its place. The main bracket will still be there tho.
so how it'll work is, it will now bolt onto the new bracket which will be higer up. you will be able to slide it up and down to get more or less camber. higher = less negative camber. lower = more negative camber.
Bad news tho. Pricing. looks like we'll have the most expensive springs there for the time being. he said $150 - $170. but when I talk to him next week I'll see if he'll lower a bit cause he originally quoted us $100 - $124. but this still isn't much guys. $150 - $170 CDN translate roughly into $125 - $140 USD. dunno about camber kit tho.
on a side now..ahha I LOVE my struts...love those great POSs...heh. guy takes out the front set...puts the new springs in...goes to put the top back on...and the shaft drops back down on its own..ahhaha damn. I can't awit to feel this setup with new shocks.
You didn't take a digital camera with you? Where's the pics?
sorry, don't have a digicam
if you've seen pics of my car...just imagine an inch and a quarter lower lol
sorry, don't have a digicam
if you've seen pics of my car...just imagine an inch and a quarter lower lol
Oh that helps Indy..... :wtf:
If your interested for a drive...you can always come out my way and we can go snap some pics. :cheers:
Man, I'm gonna get a set of these springs. I love lowered cars with a bit of a rake.
Very good work, im excited to see how they seatle. Is there a possibility that uz guys might sell sets?
hahahaha I thought the ride would be HELLA rough. but it's like...nothing..ahha
we doubled the original rates too!
I'll try to rent a digicam from my school 2morrow. you guys can also see the front chin spoiler that I mounted ;) heh
dunno what you mean SR12det. this IS for making sets. I'm just the test car :D
I think you guys may want the car to have a lower profile tho.
You'll see from the pics that I'll hopefully take. it doesn't look slammed at all. even if you guys go lower, I'll probably use these ones instead cause I like the profile and the rake and the ride quality.
send e-mails to [email removed]
Well what i mean by sets is like only a rear pair incase i want to do a front s13 coilover swap. If not ill by a set of four springs, i was just curuise if such a deal will be offered.
I asked Ray, and he seemed a bit reluctant.
best thing to do, is wait until this is in production, and then contact them and see if they'll do it or not.
Awesome man! :banger:
When can we start placing orders?
well, I need to wait a few more days until the springs settle down more so we know that the springs really are right.
I'll be calling in on monday or tuesday to tell them to go ahead and start making sets, or to ask them to make some adjustments. (lower, higher, etc...)
then after that, it should only be a few weeks or less before they are being made and ready to be shipped out.
Hurry man, hurry! I'm planning a trip to Vancouver in a month so I hope they are ready to be had by then. As much as I love sagging springs, I have to get a set of these. And thats a great price too!
we doubled the original rates too!
what... spring rates? if so, where does that put the rates?
for MINE it's 300lbs/in front and 250lbs/in rear
the rest will be 325lbs/in front and 275lbs/in rear
up from up from Front 148lbs/in, Rear 131lbs/in
check the new thread for pictures of the springs installed here http://www.club-s12.org/board/showthread.php?t=8860