Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Project: Fairlady Silvia - 1987 200sx SEv6...

Started by Wonderingraven · Jun 1, 2011 · 909postsSMF 2010–26

WonderingravenApr 29, 2012, 8:31 pm · #101

Nice meeting you at Midnight mayhem Jeremy A,

Further more about my rear braking system is that both calipers are toast, one is leaking bad from the cylinder area other one is sticking bad causing the pads to heat up to a bad boiling point and smelling like something is on fire.

Also, attended and wrote up about Vegas Pro-Am 2012.
http://www.g-funk.net/blog/?p=940

Jeremy AApr 30, 2012, 2:56 pm · #102

Nice meeting you too man!  I'll leave these here for ya,  they were the best I got of your car!

(http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/jersadras/My%20S12/IMG_2784.jpg)

(http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/jersadras/My%20S12/IMG_2787.jpg)

WonderingravenMay 24, 2012, 11:52 am · #103

I Don't know how many times I have to replace the end on the pos battery cable... it's getting aggravating ontop of that. It's snug, and solid. I will clean up the battery post and it would be like a new post, after a week or 2 driving, the post is black again and the pos battery end is ok, but it refuses to be used anymore until I redo the end again and clean up the post. ( I tried just cleaning the post but refuses to use the end )

I just know it's starting to drive me a little batty. But when you get into your car and you turn the key and all it does is click. Doesn't even attempt to start gets aggravating, I know I am getting closer to it though because the battery isn't getting drained anymore when it does this.

Next thing I am thinking about doing is bypassing the original power cable to the starter, since I have modified the fusible links to mount to the post with no issues now.  It is either that or the starter, and it would be weird if it's the starter because it is a new starter. I am also thinking maybe the battery power post might be defective maybe? even thought it's a good battery and charges just fine.

I am also thinking, maybe a relay is causing the battery to do funny things with the current?

IggyEGuanaMay 26, 2012, 1:12 am · #104

its an electrical ghost from the 80s

WonderingravenMay 26, 2012, 2:03 am · #105

There is something strange in the neighborhood, who you going call ?

IggyEGuanaMay 27, 2012, 12:56 am · #106
Wonderingraven on 03:02:55 PM / 18-Apr-12(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20120418_185908.jpg)

Because Spaceship

I mean
Because Racecar
WonderingravenMay 27, 2012, 1:11 am · #107

This is my millenium falcon !

WonderingravenMay 30, 2012, 1:23 pm · #108

I am still trying to figure out wtf is with my car still, I am trying to find the short that is currently plaguing my system, this seems harder then expected especially when I replace the end and it seems to work great for a week or 2.

JuneBugMay 30, 2012, 4:17 pm · #109

Black would be the sign of something arcing. If the terminal is black it must be arcing on something close by.  Is the battery tied down?  Is the battery to tall allowing the posts to hit the hood?  Side post or top post?  Is there anything else loose that might come into contact with it, hood prop, etc?

WonderingravenMay 30, 2012, 5:49 pm · #110

It is not that tall at all, it's tied down. It is not going any ware.

(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/pos-bat-cable.jpg)

Update,
Changed out the end and added a brass end to the cable before attaching it I cleaned up with some battery cleaner and sprayed some protectant that is supposed to help against that crap and stuff.

Next will be a full pos battery cable replacement from the battery to the starter.


Post Merge: [time]12:26:34 PM / 31-May-12 [/time]
After consideration I think I know where the short might be.

For the longest time I have had issues with my head light switch if I hit the turn signal it would also hit the brights making my headlights pop up and down or stay up with brights on till I wiggle the switch.

Anyways, here is a few more pictures of the new end I've created this time. 

(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20120530_222154.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20120530_222202.jpg)
WonderingravenJun 8, 2012, 1:37 am · #111

I just learned how real easy it is to do the rear end swap.... so welded diff is ready, I have all the extras all prepped and ready.
Oil change will commence this weekend as well. Then time to hunt for a few spare tires / rims from the junk yard and some lug nuts that will fit.

Then it's off to spin my car around a cone or 2 next friday night.

WonderingravenJun 11, 2012, 2:04 am · #112

This weekend I spent my weekend changing the oil, and installing the welded differential to give me a full on (poormans) posi.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-09%2011.05.29.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-09%2011.05.19.jpg)
I went with Royal purple and K&N Oil Filter.

(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-09%2021.07.21.jpg)
This was a pita to get out. Next time I pull this heavy chunk of crap, it will be to remove and install the z31's rear or something different.
I had to drop most of my rear brake system just to remove and install the half shafts, and since my exhaust is practically welded and more of a pita to remove.

(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-10%2011.36.32.jpg)
I ran into this small snag, the bolts I was unable to remove myself since I do not have the propper tools to shake the bolts loose. I took it over to who I know who can for a price.

After all of that, I now have a welded diff, after countless of hours. The original diff oil was also badly burnt up so no idea who or when it was ever changed for all I maybe know it might be the 26 year old oil.

WonderingravenJun 17, 2012, 12:22 am · #113

Picked up a set of new tires and rims.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-16%2021.33.12.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-16%2021.32.06.jpg)

06/15/2012 My first drift event with this s12
(http://www.g-funk.net/blog/wp-content/gallery/vd-test-n-tune-2012/2012-06-16-13-44-25.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/blog/wp-content/gallery/vd-test-n-tune-2012/2012-06-16-13-50-25.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/blog/wp-content/gallery/vd-test-n-tune-2012/2012-06-15-23-00-44.jpg)

Did a lot better then I ever expected. I can initiate with power over and the clutch kick,  but I am having a hard time keeping control, in the end I was getting better I just need to get more seat time.

WonderingravenJun 24, 2012, 7:13 pm · #114

Ok first things first. I did a few different chances this weekend to my baby.

First I reworked the custom Air Intake, made it shorter so that eliminated the vacuum leak I had.

Next is, I pulled bot turn signals lights in the front just to see how to clean up the covers and look what I found?!?
10 Gauge wire plugged into the 18 gauge wire on the body harness, why such big gauge?!? "ghetto"
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-24%2010.41.42.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-24%2011.09.48.jpg)

Next is I cleaned up the signals lights covers.
Before.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-17%2015.28.26.jpg)
After, 30 minutes of sanding.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-24%2016.23.29.jpg)

After that was put back together I couldn't start the car after trying to get it to short out.  I was still successful in doing so, so I went a head and cleaned up the cable after inspecting it.
I accidentally broke the connector that powers the Oil Pressure Sensor. So I fixed it by soldering it back together and added extra wire. Cleaned off the starter and all the connectors, re work the location of the power cable.

(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-24%2015.40.41.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-24%2015.41.06.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-24%2015.41.12.jpg)

Zip Tied the cable away from the engine, and zip tied the fusible link connectors.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-24%2016.24.02.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-24%2016.24.12.jpg)

WonderingravenJun 30, 2012, 1:30 am · #115

Pictures coming, but new ignition lock cylinder, also I need to put more fluid in my diff before I go drifting next friday night. LOL, for the past 2 weeks I thought that noise was because of the Fuel Pump.

I'll be in the market for a walbro 255 + custom FPR or walbro 190.

IggyEGuanaJun 30, 2012, 1:47 am · #116

unless ur shooting for boost just stick with the 190. i had a 255 and its pointless

WonderingravenJun 30, 2012, 10:51 pm · #117

I was 1 bottle low, 32L bottle. I went with 85/140 as it's all the ORiely's had.  I put in only 1 bottle of 85/140 last time, but it was not full. This time I filled it up till it leaked out.
I got to test it still.

Also changed out my ignition lock cyl.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-06-30%2013.41.59.jpg)

It starts up a lot better now, hopefully this is my issue that has been bugging me for a while now.

I want to go turbo but I cannot afford it for all the custom and junk to make it happen, so I will have to stay with 190.

WonderingravenJul 16, 2012, 11:31 pm · #118

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AOQfoDKK74

Lately I noticed a new noise from the engine, Unknown exactly where. Sounds like a typical vaccum, leak. I do notice a slight difference in power lately.

WonderingravenSep 18, 2012, 5:57 pm · #119

Been a while since I have updated my build thread.

Since doing the transition to a better job, I had no time for anything and I <3 my car for lasting this transition.

- Ordered 2 new lug studs to replace the broken stripped ones and rock auto had them for 0.50 / each. So It would be a waste to ship them for $5 so I decided to order the power steering pressure hose ( technically where I am leaking from with PS )

- Thinking about Ordering 2 rear springs ( Eibach, or something) with adjustable perches to replace the cut CM springs in the rear getting tired of the bangs with not enough weight in the back.

- Working on getting a set of Z31 headers to upgrade to and fix my driver side exhaust leak.

- Also working on picking up some front s14 5lug suspension parts.

WonderingravenOct 8, 2012, 2:42 pm · #120

Saturday 10/6/2012. Was a fun day, as I finally figured out a few things and especially acquired drift.

I found out the used clutch master cyl leaks from the inside when I press on the clutch pedal the fluid comes flying out. So soon I will be ordering a new Clutch Master Cyl soon.

Weird noise from the passenger side again, suspecting the spring might be having issues, also might be the shock again.
Or might be the brake caliper itself. 

(http://www.g-funk.net/blog/wp-content/gallery/vd022-practice-sesh/2012-10-06-14-58-45.jpg)

I wrote up a bit here about the fun events.
http://www.g-funk.net/blog/fleas-in-a-jar-and-the-tire-shredder/ (http://www.g-funk.net/blog/fleas-in-a-jar-and-the-tire-shredder/)

IggyEGuanaOct 28, 2012, 1:17 am · #121

keep at it. anything in mind for the car before the 18th?

WonderingravenOct 28, 2012, 1:37 am · #122
IggyEGuana on 01:17:34 AM / 28-Oct-12keep at it. anything in mind for the car before the 18th?

Just tires right now, everything else is solid as far as I know. Might have to check into the rear caliper might have something loose or possible a defective caliper wont know till tomorrow.

Mysterious dimmer light is starting to turn on and off while driving for some odd reason so I don't know what is up with that at the moment but isn't effecting my driving any.
WonderingravenNov 1, 2012, 5:14 pm · #123

Digging through Iggy's Silver hatch threads and Henry's heartbreaker threads,  I was reading up a bit on other stuff I can do, but I found some information on the eibach springs that I will now be running from iggy's thread as he was telling me about.

As well this weekend, I am going to be working on getting my power steering pressure hose replaced, 2 lug studs I stripped to all hell on the passenger side, possible replace 2 radiator hoses before they decide to burst.

Ordering the spring and perches, this weekend. Between the 9th and the 16th I gotta get 4 tires for the drift event on the 18th.

Alternator is defiantly bad, as I had it tested. I have a picture of the test results that I will post later.

Also learned how easy it was to get behind the dash.  So I might also work on getting my speedo working sooner then expected as well.

WonderingravenNov 3, 2012, 11:25 pm · #124

Spent the day wrestling with thepower steering  pressure hose, it was a PITA due to the hook where it plugs into needed alot of attention Pending here and there, it was bent different to begin with for a moment I thought it wasn't the same one but it's there and all plugged in.

Picked up an Maxima Alt 90amp and it fits like a glove, just had to adjust the bracket to allow the bigger rounded alt to fit.

Also fixed the lug studd I messed up.

Ordered the Eibach springs and adjustable perches today as well.

Pictures updates
The old 70amp ?!?
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-11-03%2011.36.17.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-11-03%2011.36.28.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-11-03%2011.36.41.jpg)

This mofo is bigger then the one above, but here it is installed after the work on the stupid lines for the power steering, you can also see the lines kinda messed up though the orriginal line was clean and ran with the other line, this one i had to bend into shape =/ stupid rock auto! but never nor less it works so far.

(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-11-03%2023.26.34.jpg)

Another shot of Gus's Power Steering pump!
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-11-03%2023.26.46.jpg)

WonderingravenNov 6, 2012, 9:49 am · #125

IACV is giving me issues now. I am actually thinking about deleting it, it seems useless as I can adjust the idle with the throttle body after I get the cable repaired.

My throttle cable is breaking due to the KA24 TB it's been rubbing for the longest time and it never dawned to re-enforce the cable area with tape.
So in theory I am going to cover all the wires with JB Weld and wrap it with tape! if it doesn't work will just have to find a new one hopefully.

WonderingravenNov 7, 2012, 9:52 am · #126

Well that was a failure.
When deleting the IACv from the system gives a big problem especially trying to adjust the TB screw + TPS around. It just will not fire. So I am suspecting that the ECU is relaying on this device, for now it stays until I get my nistune.

Ju_S12_TurboNov 7, 2012, 3:39 pm · #127

For the rear I run 750lbs springs with a ford E350 van shock (8$ lol). I've been dd'ing for about a year  this way and haven't had any problems. Z31 headers do not fit with out modifying it. Only one that Works is the 510 VG swap headers. Also F Royal Purple hahaha, Honestly its to thin and wear out to fast. I run Normally run Delo, But I have started using Delo synthetic and am pretty pleased with it. My Tps sensor isn't even hooked up anymore haha.

I've been drifting my SE the past 2 years, so if you have any questions about set ups or whatever just hit me up.

WonderingravenNov 7, 2012, 4:59 pm · #128
Ju_S12_Turbo on 03:39:11 PM / 07-Nov-12For the rear I run 750lbs springs with a ford E350 van shock (8$ lol). I've been dd'ing for about a year  this way and haven't had any problems.

Nice, good to hear. Waiting for the springs to show up today and my perches will be here friday.

Ju_S12_Turbo on 03:39:11 PM / 07-Nov-12Z31 headers do not fit with out modifying it. Only one that Works is the 510 VG swap headers. Also F Royal Purple hahaha, Honestly its to thin and wear out to fast. I run Normally run Delo, But I have started using Delo synthetic and am pretty pleased with it.

Yeah, I know it's cheaper though regardless but I will most likely get the EE 510 VG headers. and Agreed with the Royal Purp, that stuff burned up in 1 month of DD and a drift event.

Ju_S12_Turbo on 03:39:11 PM / 07-Nov-12My Tps sensor isn't even hooked up anymore haha.
LOlz, I was just trying to eliminate the IACv / Fast Air Control module / valve so that the Throttle body controls it instead and it's more of a direct tuning instead of turning other screws just to find that magic number. I will figure out a way though.,

Ju_S12_Turbo on 03:39:11 PM / 07-Nov-12I've been drifting my SE the past 2 years, so if you have any questions about set ups or whatever just hit me up.

word, thanks.  Only thing I need to do is eliminate plaguing issues.
Post Merge
Springs are in, waiting for the perches now.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-11-07%2018.13.39.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-11-07%2018.14.32.jpg)

WonderingravenNov 10, 2012, 9:56 pm · #129

I have the perches already in, I was kinda lazy today to get it done but I was able to find the orriginal IACv that I had that came with the car well technically they both came with the car.

I removed the one I put on a few months ago that is causing major problems. Installed the one I removed a few months ago after fixing the screw that wouldn't move with a lot of pb blaster, LOL. Might replace again when Gustard sends out his.

We will see anyways. So far so good with the s12

WonderingravenNov 19, 2012, 1:41 pm · #130

Well I am impressed with the springs in the rear, and having power steering does give a whole new car feel.

And I had to get my car towed after the event, and today called in from work to troubleshoot the issue and it turns out to be the crankshaft position sensor.

The sensor, trying to get a good picture of the explosion inside.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-11-19%2010.00.49.jpg)

Chunks of electronics
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-11-19%2010.00.08.jpg)
Another chunk.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-11-19%2009.59.35.jpg)

Here is a over view of my dizzy, you can see the black burned spot.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-11-19%2009.59.19.jpg)

Replaced sensor and boom it starts right up.

WonderingravenDec 1, 2012, 7:55 pm · #131

SO the fun has happened, I learned that these throttle cables are easy to replace with bicycle brake cables.

(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-11-18%2012.08.03.jpg)
It finally snapped Friday morning just as I was about to park.

So that night I made this cable.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20121130_220551.jpg)

When I returned to my work this morning to get my car back it ended up being way to short
(Due to when I switched to the KA24DE, my cable was already short due to the location of the position for the opening of the butterfly)
So how Did I get it home? Yes I went Pro JDM status and zip tie the line.

(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20121201_131648.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20121201_131658.jpg)

After I got her home, I went back to the Bicycle pro shop and got more cable, I also had to dremel down the barrel to fit in the hole better.
 
Then after all of that
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20121201_161924.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20121201_161929.jpg)
The final working product.

turbo-s12Dec 1, 2012, 9:42 pm · #132

nice work!

WonderingravenDec 4, 2012, 1:18 pm · #133

Thanks,  I have to adjust it just a tad the gas is a bit spongy. Easy enough, This weekend I am pulling apart all the vacuum lines and go through everything humanly possible to find out some odd issues I have now.  Cold start it idles like garbage, and idle it changes from 1000 to 1250 rpm.
Adjusting the screw on warm does good but on a cold start it gives me major headaches.

I also need to do another oil change as the random clacky-ness and oil is water thin again all burned up but at least it isn't low.

I also have a shopping list for the junk yard to hunt down for as well. A few updates / upgrades to hunt for this coming weekend.

I also need to change the timing belt on top of that.

sideways_s12Dec 5, 2012, 11:59 pm · #134

you got the same springs i got I need limiting straps tho...

WonderingravenDec 6, 2012, 12:03 am · #135

Yep, Thanks to iggy for directing me to the right path!

sideways_s12Dec 6, 2012, 12:11 am · #136

yeah that's where I got the idea from as well I have his old rearsubframe and welded diff so it's set up for the limiting straps just need to do it...when i get the money

IggyEGuanaDec 11, 2012, 9:30 am · #137

try camero shocks. they are supposed to be shorter than mustang shocks. I havent tried it yet but if the fully extended length of the shock is short enough to keep the spring in then we wont need the straps. or just dont lower it too much but wheres the fun in that

WonderingravenDec 11, 2012, 9:44 am · #138

The tokico's are holding up just fine at the moment. but I am sure that will change a bit when I change my front to the s13 coil overs.
sideways_s12Dec 13, 2012, 1:45 pm · #139
IggyEGuana on 09:30:55 AM / 11-Dec-12try camero shocks. they are supposed to be shorter than mustang shocks. I havent tried it yet but if the fully extended length of the shock is short enough to keep the spring in then we wont need the straps. or just dont lower it too much but wheres the fun in that

That sounds like a plan
WonderingravenDec 20, 2012, 11:46 am · #140

As 2012 is closing
and 2013 is coming.

Next year I am going to focus on the following

- Finish the suspension & brake upgrade
- Finish the sensor hunting, other misc vg30e issues.
- Start on the restoration of the interior and exterior.

Main focus will be street legal but drift / track / street racing build.

BattleFairyDec 20, 2012, 5:56 pm · #141

also focus on finding a new Pic hoster.........that g-funk B.S. need forever to load

WonderingravenDec 20, 2012, 6:03 pm · #142

it's my server, lol.
Sounds like an older computer? the host is just fine.

Though the images are in high res and they are a bit big in file size and I am too lazy to adjust them to accommodate a slower computer.

BattleFairyDec 20, 2012, 6:35 pm · #143
Wonderingraven on 06:03:07 PM / 20-Dec-12it's my server, lol.
Sounds like an older computer? the host is just fine.

Though the images are in high res and they are a bit big in file size and I am too lazy to adjust them to accommodate a slower computer.
GTFO LOL Its a brand new Machine^^ 4ghz with all that Mad Ram you need for those modern crap games + Watercooling

no serious, open your thread is the pain in the ass cause it loads forever
WonderingravenDec 26, 2012, 9:01 pm · #144

(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/steering-rack.jpg)

Yep, finally in. Due to my issue with me going to work one night. I ran into a wall when my rear wheels lost traction going up a parking garage too fast, destroyed the front separating Falken  tires.
Bent a Tie rod end, and the steering rack.

So here is a new one.

WonderingravenDec 31, 2012, 11:14 am · #145

I think I will go carb!

BattleFairyDec 31, 2012, 4:51 pm · #146

YES PLEASE

i was really thinking about too. VG´s are dirt cheap and honestly.......a carb always works (my experience) maybe not good but at the end they work
WonderingravenDec 31, 2012, 10:00 pm · #147

Yes sir, I am currently researching more on it. But as I was saying on facebook. I found
http://s165.beta.photobucket.com/user/Gregmatic/media/IMG_0896.mp4.html

A z31 with a custom carb setup. Look at that extra room in there deleting all that BS....

turbo-s12Dec 31, 2012, 10:31 pm · #148

I think that be cool you should go for it

WonderingravenJan 1, 2013, 1:02 am · #149

Oh I will, right now I hit up the guy who made the z31 I guess he made a FS thread on the ratsun forums.

in the mean time for the saudi dizzy replacement I can use the stock efi dizzy just.

The group stopped using the Saudi dizzy and has gone to a stock EFI distributor as a trigger for an ignition box. The EFI dizzy has no advance mechanism, which isn't an issue on a race engine as the RPM is high enough that the distributor would be at full advance all the time.

MSD sells an ignition box (6AL-2, P/N 6530) that the advance can be programmed into using a PC. That with a stock EFI dizzy could be work on a carb street engine as an option to needing a Saudi dizzy. Summit Racing sells them for $360. Not the cheapest way out, but definately more available.

MSD Catalog Link: http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Ignitions/Street/Strip/Digital/6421_-_MSD-6AL-2_Ignition_Control.aspx
I_heart_VVLJan 1, 2013, 4:28 am · #150

Triple Webers!!! :grinwink:
(http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll35/Mister510/Ultramotive/DSCN8831.jpg)

Do it!