Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Project: Fairlady Silvia - 1987 200sx SEv6...

Started by Wonderingraven · Jun 1, 2011 · 909postsSMF 2010–26

WonderingravenJan 29, 2012, 10:01 pm · #51

Friday night, had to tow the Fairlady Silvia home =(
Since all I've had was a single click and no power issue.
posted image

First thing I started was
The positive battery post.
This was the old
posted image
posted image

Now to the new
posted image

Next to troubleshoot was
posted image
But the power strill travels through it, so I've cleaned up the corrosion.

Last I did was
posted image
^^ this bit the dust.

Last but now least.
A negative 16 gauge rouge wire was causing problems to the negative post on the battery.

I_heart_VVLJan 29, 2012, 10:02 pm · #52

jeezus.
that coolant tank looks like it has caught the aids....

WonderingravenJan 29, 2012, 10:04 pm · #53

lol, I need to replace them.

avierJan 29, 2012, 10:14 pm · #54

That looks 100 times better than the s13 ones I have had in the past.... Leave it to nissan to make biodegradable coolant reservoirs.

WonderingravenJan 30, 2012, 12:00 pm · #55

^^ lol,

Next on the agenda.
Pull A/C Condenser finally, pull alt and get it tested again to make sure I didn't fry something with the bad connection with the old positive cables.
Replace power steering pump and hoses, check for a drip leak of coolant coming from either the housing of the thermostat or possible water pump is going bad.

Ordering Clutch, Flywheel, and shifter after my paycheck and tax return gets direct deposited this Friday, getting ready for the 5 speed swap.

JuneBugFeb 2, 2012, 9:14 pm · #56
Wonderingraven on 06:34:51 PM / 18-Dec-11posted image
I've never seen these separators on the rear springs before.

LOL those "separators" are actually a ghetto way to lower a car.  Normally you put them in to clamp the coils together, but the previous owner appears to have used them to lift the car.  I bet it road like shit.  Glad to see you put a real suspension in there.
WonderingravenFeb 2, 2012, 9:41 pm · #57

Yeah it did drove like shit... I know my CA20E Kame drove better, this is why I pushed for the Tokico's and CM's right now. Next upgrade is the Weld on and KYB's

WonderingravenFeb 11, 2012, 12:16 pm · #58

Picking up today an SR20DET Transmission, supposed to be solid.

posted image
This is what the trans look like. I'm trying to see what he wants for the drive shaft.

1NZS12Feb 11, 2012, 2:16 pm · #59

is it a 6speed?..and insted of pulling your alternator and getting it tested you should just check it is charging the battery at
14-14.2 volts

WonderingravenFeb 11, 2012, 5:21 pm · #60

Oh forgot and no it's a 5spd W71C trans with the SR20 bell housing...
The ALt is just fine and the battery is just fine as well. All is good.

So I just found a little bit about who owned my car just a tad before me.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2962290/1987-nissan-200sx

I've also updated the first post.

WonderingravenFeb 14, 2012, 12:36 am · #61

R200 Acquired - Welded ready to rock mode.
C Trans with drive shaft acquired.

Next to order 250mm flywheel and clutch, 240sx shifter + nob.
Then it's time to install.

vegasS12Feb 14, 2012, 12:07 pm · #62

get a short shifter since the sr trans sits farther back. To put it in reverse thats  if you keep the center console.

WonderingravenFeb 14, 2012, 1:00 pm · #63

Yeah, I'm looking for a good Short throw shifter.

Jeremy AFeb 14, 2012, 1:51 pm · #64

Oh,  a short shifter solves the tunnel cutting and console cutting issue??!

WonderingravenFeb 14, 2012, 2:01 pm · #65

prolly still need to cut but it has the bend to clear the center console. I'm assuming anyways.

vegasS12Feb 14, 2012, 2:36 pm · #66

You still need to cut the tunnel.
The short shifter gives you more room to put it into reverse with out hitting the center console.
you dont need to cut the center console all you have to do is adjust it a bit to sit were you want. You might have a little gap thou were it connects to the radio trim.

WonderingravenFeb 14, 2012, 9:38 pm · #67
posted image
JuneBugFeb 17, 2012, 4:34 pm · #68

Hey Wondering.  I was just curious why you chose to search for an s13 trans instead of just pulling a 71c from the junkyard.   xenonz31.com has a good write up for the auto to manual conversion.  The wiring for the 85-86 z31's should be the same as yours

WonderingravenFeb 17, 2012, 4:38 pm · #69

Because
1) I couldn't find them in the past month when I go. Seems like I keep getting auto's at both pick a parts everytime I go.
2) 71c from an s13's are easly to be replaced it seems, since they are around the most.

JuneBugFeb 17, 2012, 5:10 pm · #70

Ok that's cool.  I don't go to the pic-a-part in northtown much because they are dicks and seem to only have common cars.  The one in Henderson has nicer employees and the cool cars usually end up there.  Last summer there were 3 red se's at the northtown yard though.  I was nearly in tears because of it.  I grabbed the sideskirts of one of them. The lips were already gone.

WonderingravenFeb 17, 2012, 5:18 pm · #71

yeah  there was 1 I wished I grabbed the whole SE 5speed when I seen it back last September.
When I returned a month later it was gone already =(

I found some awesome seats in the henderspun yard tho, I might go visit henderspun's yard this weekend.

JuneBugFeb 17, 2012, 5:31 pm · #72

I was at the Henderson yard about two weeks ago. They didn't have anything because they were pouring concrete and had to move the cars around.  They should be done know and I expect they'll have new stuff out. Plus no more laying in the dirt


Post Merge: 05:32:28 PM / 17-Feb-12
I just might head out there this weekend
WonderingravenFeb 19, 2012, 2:29 pm · #73

So, on a budget I'm about to go.
Shifter:
http://www.frsport.com/Megan-Racing-Version-1-Transmission-Short-Shifter-Kit-Nissan-S13-S14_p_2209.html

Clutch Kit:
RHINOPAC/WORLD CAR Part # 06042SE ( going for this one due to the price )  
Rockauto for 138.99

and Flywheel:
RHINOPAC/WORLD CAR Part # 167026
Rockauto for 60.79

Jeremy AFeb 19, 2012, 3:02 pm · #74

Can you almost taste the manual trans S12 experience?  almost        taste         it.......

WonderingravenFeb 19, 2012, 3:04 pm · #75

I had a taste till the timing belt broke on the CA20 =)

So close to victory!

sideways_s12Feb 19, 2012, 7:22 pm · #76

Nice work you got going there looks like your making progress....

WonderingravenFeb 19, 2012, 8:09 pm · #77

ty sir, next weekend is my party to do the swap if all goes well and how the weather goes.

sideways_s12Feb 19, 2012, 10:25 pm · #78

I'd gladly show up but I have to work on the weekends :(

WonderingravenFeb 23, 2012, 11:55 pm · #79

(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20120223_215045.jpg)

Shifter + Flywheel

sideways_s12Feb 24, 2012, 12:11 am · #80

becareful with the bushing on the bottom of the shifter mine broke in half from setting down on the table to hard lol

Jeremy AFeb 24, 2012, 12:52 am · #81
sideways_s12 on 12:11:03 AM / 24-Feb-12becareful with the bushing on the bottom of the shifter mine broke in half from setting down on the table to hard lol

Hahaha

Cool parts!
WonderingravenFeb 24, 2012, 12:54 am · #82

mine is staying in bubble wrap till I'm ready to install it lol.

sideways_s12Feb 24, 2012, 11:41 am · #83

good deal...

WonderingravenFeb 26, 2012, 2:50 am · #84

Having a very odd issue with my cooling system

(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/heat-issues.jpg)

If you notice the needle, while driving it will get on that black line and back to where it's at now, and this is why driving on highway, On idle it sits right there.
When in idle I can hear the coolant / water boil in the overflow bottle.

So I'm guessing I'm having issues with either water pump, thermostat might be stuck closed, or due to the fact I'm running mostly water + water wetter with some coolant.

sideways_s12Feb 26, 2012, 11:14 am · #85

Watyer with water wetter is not he problem I ran that stuff out here in 120 and never had an issue check cheapest first like t-stat then look into the water pump maybe make sure there is no air in the system? also I've run straight water before (no money for coolant unemplyed at the time) and never had an issue either not saying it's good to do but I didn't have a problem....

WonderingravenFeb 28, 2012, 1:20 am · #86

Bad side is that it's refusing to stay cold, so I've parked it till I get my water pump + gaskets thursday.

On the good side my clutch kit finally came in, now just need to get the swap going lol, uh where to start =( I feel soo clueless right now  :cry2: :no: :rip: :hahanot:
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20120227_224915.jpg)

WonderingravenMar 3, 2012, 9:04 pm · #87

I can't figure it out, I've tried everything and this is all I'm getting now.

New starter, alt is good, battery is fully charged.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_v8kqTL6-o

I dunno this is driving me nuts.

rednucleusMar 4, 2012, 1:53 am · #88

check positive wires coming off the battery

WonderingravenMar 4, 2012, 1:21 pm · #89

Yeah, I'm doing so here shortly.

Upgraded the hack I've done a month ago.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20120304_125530.jpg)

And guess what is missing?
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20120304_125538.jpg)

WonderingravenApr 18, 2012, 3:02 pm · #90

As an update, My S12 is now a transsexual, autotragic to stick shift has been completed.

(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20120418_184814.jpg)

(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/IMG_20120418_185908.jpg)

SchizophrenicMCApr 18, 2012, 9:53 pm · #91

Now you need center console trim, a shift boot, and an un-gay knob. ;)

WonderingravenApr 18, 2012, 9:55 pm · #92

I like my smith & wession gun handle shift knob!

JayApr 18, 2012, 10:47 pm · #93

Never understood the pistol style shifters myself. But to each their own.

WonderingravenApr 18, 2012, 10:58 pm · #94

Pistol grip, defiantly different then everyone else's drift dildo looking shifters with aqua looking stuff inside.

Jeremy AApr 19, 2012, 1:03 am · #95

Yes man,  yes!!  How does it feel!?  Back to dd status now?

WonderingravenApr 19, 2012, 1:31 am · #96
Jeremy A on 01:03:09 AM / 19-Apr-12Yes man,  yes!!  How does it feel!?  Back to dd status now?
Feels Awesome dude, and yes back to DD status now, found a few new minor issues to take care of but it's awesome. I gotta work on my throttle response and get used to this feeling, I keep putting my foot into it as I shift into first and second. Shifting is sweet and mean like how I wanted it to be, clutch is aggressive but not too aggressive.
Shark808Apr 19, 2012, 1:40 am · #97


Congrats!  Somebody gonna be smilin for a while.
ArroApr 19, 2012, 11:57 am · #98

'Bout time this happened lol. Awesomeness.

WonderingravenApr 26, 2012, 11:58 pm · #99

Emergency brake update, lol. I was planning for the update this weekend but it was pressing tonight.
Coming home from work, loud squealing, it decided to lock my rear tire up. So

 
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-04-26%2021.27.53.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-04-26%2021.28.03.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/2012-04-26%2021.28.29.jpg)

Jeremy AApr 27, 2012, 3:27 am · #100

(http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e133/Alexander_knight/1304603611786.jpg)