Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Matt's S12

Started by seishuku · Aug 3, 2007 · 1232postsInvision 2005–09SMF 2010–26

seishukuMay 1, 2012, 8:27 pm · #1001

If only the screen was a little bigger... The Kindle Fire is a little too small for a full blown cluster.

Today I made a new camera mount on the waterjet, clamps to my interior bracing:
(https://i.imgur.com/fSV8jsx.jpg)

Also finished sanding my stripped headlight cover and laid down a few layers of gloss black:
(https://i.imgur.com/gGOIzDO.jpg)

seishukuJun 1, 2012, 8:00 pm · #1002

Yay, clean garage again! Gotta clean up the workbench though.
(https://i.imgur.com/JGVPxn5.jpg)

Clean enough to park an S12 sideways in there!
(https://i.imgur.com/m6cTIV4.jpg)

ArroJun 4, 2012, 1:42 pm · #1003

Wow your garage is huge. Like a third larger than mine... nice!

seishukuJun 4, 2012, 3:52 pm · #1004

:lol: I wish it was a little deeper and just a touch wider, but yea its nice.
Only a two car though... well, three car later this year... you guys will see how when the time comes. ;)

ArroJun 4, 2012, 3:55 pm · #1005

You're cutting out the center bar and installing a custom-sized roll-up door?

seishukuJun 4, 2012, 5:43 pm · #1006

:lol: No, but the thought had crossed my mind more than once.

ArroJun 4, 2012, 6:18 pm · #1007

I just noticed you use an Android app for MS... what is it called? Is it on the market or side loaded?

seishukuJun 4, 2012, 10:01 pm · #1008

I just call it 'gauges', its my own app that I made to use my USB serial adapter since no other MS apps can.

JayJun 4, 2012, 10:08 pm · #1009

Develop it more and market it.

It WILL sell

ArroJun 4, 2012, 11:24 pm · #1010

Holy crap, you wrote that yourself? PLEASE put that on Google Play!

seishukuJun 5, 2012, 3:52 pm · #1011

Yeah, back in the day (lolz) I did a lot of graphics related programming, including some beta testing/debugging for ATI.

Its only debug signed right now, so I can't put it on the market yet... I also have to add some UI elements to it for device selection and MS firmware definitions. (Its currently hardcoded for my MS)

JayJul 12, 2012, 1:12 pm · #1012
seishuku on 09:40:51 PM / 11-Jul-12Edit:
And before anyone says it, I know... Just BUY A BETTER TURBO!
Yeah yeah, anyone got a spare $400? :P

It should be noted that I GAVE him that turbo.

Also, I do have 3 other turbos in the basement. I'll sell one, and it won't cost you $400.

But.... Finally putting that thing to some use eh?
seishukuJul 12, 2012, 7:01 pm · #1013

Yeah, I figured since they use the same center section and this one is already cleaned up, I might as well use it.

Not looking forward to seeing what kind of mess I have waiting for me in my turbine, on hard decel its been drawing out oil past the turbine seal... it comes and goes, but I bet its nasty.

I'll find out soon enough.

Edit:
What turbos do you have again?

JayJul 12, 2012, 8:57 pm · #1014

I'd sell either the GM-8 or the K04.

seishukuJul 12, 2012, 9:23 pm · #1015

The gm-8 would probably be too big for what I need... the VW/Audi Turbo intrigues me though, they make decent power quick but have such small compressor and turbine sections.

Its not one with the goofy compressor housings, is it?

JayJul 13, 2012, 3:58 pm · #1016
seishuku on 09:23:38 PM / 12-Jul-12The gm-8 would probably be too big for what I need... the VW/Audi Turbo intrigues me though, they make decent power quick but have such small compressor and turbine sections.

Its not one with the goofy compressor housings, is it?

No, it's from a mazdaspeed 6. Doesn't have the compressor the size of a quarter.

Just a goofy turbine flange.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/Phreakonaleash55/e30%20sale%20stuffs/IMAG0936.jpg)
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/Phreakonaleash55/e30%20sale%20stuffs/IMAG0938.jpg)
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/Phreakonaleash55/e30%20sale%20stuffs/IMAG0941.jpg)
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/Phreakonaleash55/e30%20sale%20stuffs/IMAG0940.jpg)
seishukuJul 13, 2012, 6:12 pm · #1017

Ah, ok... So closer to a T28 then.

Got the turbo off, was AS much of a pain as I thought it was going to be, thankfully I had it apart before it was originally installed (it didn't come apart so easy on the bench, 3-4 years ago :lol:)
(https://i.imgur.com/AlvmPyx.jpg)

And yea, it was leaking a little.
(https://i.imgur.com/H8wdI8N.jpg)

At least I'm doing this now, before I get a nice oil fire.

Blurry pic of a sad, turboless engine bay.
(https://i.imgur.com/K9iqjS9.jpg)

Edit:
Oh, and the turbo isn't even in that bad of shape, considering the abuse I've been putting it through... Just basically the turbine seal that needs to be replaced.


Post Merge: 08:07:00 PM / 13-Jul-12
Man, I'm too used to a turbo engine... You put your foot down and... Bleh. :lol:

Sometimes I forget just how restrictive the T25 turbine is, man this thing revs up way quicker.
Maybe I should fit up the old NA manifold, I guess it really depends on how long the turbo is down.

Post Merge: 11:37:05 AM / 14-Jul-12
Well, I got the turbo disassembled, it's all ready for the rebuild kit.

Bearings were like new still, other than the coked oil on the turbine side bearing, thrust wasn't too bad either, but was worn for sure (no surprise there)
seishukuJul 21, 2012, 1:39 pm · #1018

(https://i.imgur.com/S96e1Sg.jpg)

Ah, my old NA manifold and down pipe... Reconditioned and ready to get tossed in!
A side from a little welding of course.
Post Merge


I also got gas...

Welding gas that is.
(https://i.imgur.com/4YYFsSd.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/Jo5zYLW.jpg)

$10 to fill, should last long enough for as little actual welding I do at home... Better than paying damn near $20 for a 2lb roll of .035 fluxcore.
Post Merge
All done... Like taking a step back 3 or 4 years. :lol:
Only this time it's 3" exhaust, kinda sounds like a honda... do'h
BattleFairyJul 22, 2012, 2:59 am · #1019

haha RHMT at its best^^
so you converted a fluxcore welder?

seishukuJul 22, 2012, 11:36 am · #1020

No, the handymig already had the provision for gas, but I still had to build the paintball CO2 bottle to regulator stuff.

seishukuJul 23, 2012, 6:46 pm · #1021

(https://i.imgur.com/IIDeemO.jpg)

Why spend $8 a piece, when you can just make some? ;)

seishukuJul 29, 2012, 4:54 pm · #1022

(https://i.imgur.com/jjPDz5V.jpg)
All the exhaust side stuff is cleaned up, flanges have been ground flat, and a few coats of high temp black.
Post Merge


(https://i.imgur.com/OsLqWUW.jpg)
Exhaust bits reassembled with all new stainless hardware including the new nut lock tabs I made, this time with out gaskets to blow out... Being the flanges are perfectly flat, it ought to seal better than OEM.
seishukuAug 15, 2012, 8:34 pm · #1023

Why buy when you can make, part 2
(https://i.imgur.com/Q0O5sxP.jpg)
exhaust manifold gasket made from 1/16" annealed aluminum, with copper spray coating.

All I need is the rebuild kit... *sigh*

seishukuAug 23, 2012, 10:26 pm · #1024

Getting tired of my modified stock steering wheel, so I made a new one...
(https://i.imgur.com/7cWlGBh.jpg)

Just gotta modify the original wheel's hub with a flange to bolt this one on to, which if I ever get another wheel it should bolt on too (same bolt circle as grant and others).
Not sure what to do about the horn though, not like I really use it...

Anyone know how big the stock wheel is? I don't remember, but I was thinking like 16" or something... its huge either way. This one is 13".
Post Merge


Take a (mostly) stock wheel with all the crap unscrewed from it:
(https://i.imgur.com/SiRCGwC.jpg)

Cut out the hub:
(https://i.imgur.com/TCpBtwo.jpg)

Drill the spot welds for the horn plate out:
(https://i.imgur.com/pfEcArS.jpg)

Say hello to the spline hub:
(https://i.imgur.com/Q56KohJ.jpg)

Center up the hub adapter, and burn it in:
(https://i.imgur.com/0FJUBAO.jpg)

Enjoy new steering wheel hub:
(https://i.imgur.com/0IomLTO.jpg)

All for basically nothing!

Waiting for paint to dry on new wheel.
Post Merge
(https://i.imgur.com/xZoRlh9.jpg)

Yay
seishukuAug 29, 2012, 9:34 pm · #1025

Yay, finally ordered the rebuild kit... Probably won't be here until the middle of next week though :(

$13 for shipping! It's a tiny ass box! WTF!!! Ugh... I'm really getting tired of stupid shipping costs.

seishukuSep 4, 2012, 6:26 pm · #1026

(https://i.imgur.com/qFvPyII.jpg)
Yay all rebuilt, now to reinstall in the hot and very humid weather we are having today.

BTW, I wasn't able to use the DSM center section... not with out a slight mod. I didn't think of it earlier, but because the DSM has a smaller compressor wheel, the recess for it in the CHRS is smaller. Oh well, the old housing didn't clean up too bad.

JaySep 4, 2012, 6:31 pm · #1027

Eh. It was free anyway. ;)

seishukuSep 4, 2012, 10:17 pm · #1028

True dat.
Maybe if I have some free time at work, I'll bore it out... Build a spare T25G. :lol:

Anyway, three-and-a-half hours later... It's all back to normal, everything except for completely welding the exhaust, but the flange is such a tight fit on the tube, I just tacked it in place for now. lol
Feels good to be back under pressure... Too bad it's storming bad right now, otherwise I would go for a longer test drive.

Big BrotherSep 16, 2012, 9:21 pm · #1029

Hey broke ass, buy this and I'll GIVE YOU my old T3/50 trim off the VW:

http://www.fastwayracer.com/Forced-Induction-Turbo-Manifolds/c1_4/p3780/89-98-Nissan-200SX-SR20DET-T3/T4-Top-Mount-Cast-Turbo-Manifold/product_info.html?osCsid=c798564c7ddbbd610c8e86a232a49c80

Then I can finally go buy that hybrid I've been drooling over at the speed shop down the street. Mmmm, 60-1 action in a 1958 Beetle....

seishukuSep 16, 2012, 10:33 pm · #1030

I forget, is your T3 internally gated?

Big BrotherSep 27, 2012, 10:26 am · #1031

Yep, and I got another beat up one if you wanted to try rebuilding it. That one's got a carbon seal tho, mine don't.

seishukuSep 27, 2012, 6:10 pm · #1032

A junk one would be good for mockup at least...

Big BrotherOct 2, 2012, 4:53 pm · #1033

You got 15" wheels by chance? If so, I have snow tires begging for a home...and you can put studs in these!

seishukuOct 2, 2012, 9:07 pm · #1034

Lol sure do, left covers from the suzuki?

Big BrotherOct 4, 2012, 3:12 pm · #1035

Yup, and cars these days tend to wear 16 or above wheels so neither I nor any of my buddies can use them. What can you offer? I paid $400, and only used them for a couple months in 2010. They're still pretty new, if I could get $200 worth of money or stuff back out of them I'd be happy. You know you want studs this winter! How about you fix a few laptops for me? That small PC Jamie bought keeps BSODing, it's pissing me off cause I need it for tuning.

BTW, fuel injecting the Mini is gonna happen before I leave. I dropped the motor in last weekend, just finishing up odds and ends. Last things I need are another MS, fuel pump, regulator, and a spacer plate to hold the injectors right after the TB. I already have billet fuel rail stock, and I'm sure I can hack some lines together out of something.

Since it will also have EDIS, that means I don't need the MSD 6A that's currently in it. Anyone want dibs on it?

JayOct 4, 2012, 4:08 pm · #1036

But. Studs are not legal in wisconsin for non-emergency vehicles.

seishukuOct 4, 2012, 6:27 pm · #1037

Well, you know I'm broke, but defentlty could take a look at the computers.
And if you like, get me the kit for the megasqurt and can assemble and test it for you.

Big BrotherOct 8, 2012, 4:45 pm · #1038

Put new 2GB memory card in the small notebook, seems stable so far.

I'll see about getting an MS drop shipped to you in about a week or so, it would need the EDIS mod done to it of course.

Since I don't have your email address for some strange reason, here's the dimensions of the TB for the Mini. Turns out it's a 50mm job, hope that won't be too large for a 1293cc monster! lol

Throttle plate opening: 50mm
Stud pattern: 9mm stud holes on 60mm centers
Outer dimension of the TB: about 80mm (square)

I seem to recall the SU pattern was 65mm, hopefully that won't pose a problem with the adaptor.

seishukuOct 8, 2012, 8:20 pm · #1039

Ok, cool.

Yeah, the carb is 65mm center-to-center... I'm thinking it's going to be too close.
What size bolt hold the carb to the manifold?
Post Merge


Oh, here's your block of aluminum:
(https://i.imgur.com/sK7CUv4.jpg)
Big BrotherOct 11, 2012, 9:57 pm · #1040

What if instead of using the stock studs in the manifold at 65mm, I remove them and rotate/reloacte them? That would allow us to take the studs from sort of an 'X' pattern and change them into a '+' (cross) pattern, and sink them into the adaptor on the other side. Then we can put the pattern of the TB into the adaptor however we want, and they won't interfere with each other. Only problem is I'd probably have to use 2 really small ones in the top, or they would interfere with injector positioning.

How about you just make sure it has the right size hole in it for the manifold, and I'll drill it myself? I won't have the intake in my hands for another 2 weeks anyway, so we have plenty of time to mess with it. I'll bring it along next time I stop by.

seishukuOct 12, 2012, 9:28 pm · #1041

Could maybe rotate the throttle body too, might look a little goofy though.
I donno, I guess I would have to see all three parts together to really get an idea on how to really do it.

seishukuOct 21, 2012, 2:17 am · #1042

Ah the engine hoist... best tool I ever bought.
(https://i.imgur.com/TvYbC04.jpg)

I still don't like hand mounting tires though...
(https://i.imgur.com/xQ8lu9t.jpg)

VG30DETTOct 21, 2012, 12:57 pm · #1043

I've never even thought of breaking beads like that.... Damn! Hook a bare block to it and you're golden!

But god am I glad to have access to a tire machine for no expenses lol.

seishukuOct 21, 2012, 1:21 pm · #1044

Yeah, I can't say I would recommend changing tires like this... its a huge pain in the ass.
But I'm cheap, and love diy. :lol:

It took me 2 hours to change all 4, pretty good work out.

JayOct 21, 2012, 3:57 pm · #1045

I have a coats tire machine.

Sadly, it's 200 miles away now. :(

seishukuOct 26, 2012, 4:18 pm · #1046

One of their manual ones?

For as little as I do this, I was thinking of a harbor freight one... its only $30 I think. :lol:

JayOct 26, 2012, 4:23 pm · #1047
seishuku on 04:18:15 PM / 26-Oct-12One of their manual ones?


A 30/40a that was updated to the 40/40 bead breaker.
seishukuOct 27, 2012, 11:34 pm · #1048

Ah, cool.

A small update on the S12, I've decided that I want to do something for the front suspension... I don't want to go hybrid, because I want to keep the suspension mostly stock, but I want something adjustable.
SO... That pretty much leaves me with going to a weld-on kit.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, $200 for the Techno Toy Tuning kit... Probably 300 or 350LB/in springs (suggestions?)

It's going to be set with the sleeves in a neutral position, so I can raise or lower.

Mainly raise for now, to match the stock 300LB/in Passat springs I got out back, which lift the rear about an inch (my camber fix :lol:).

To aid in setting the coil-over sleeves, I made these:
(https://i.imgur.com/7xWiGRA.jpg)

Tightly clamp those to the strut tube, get vehicle weight on it... Mark it, weld it! Simple.
Maybe sell them to someone after I'm done with them, help someone else out doing the same thing.

seishukuOct 31, 2012, 10:11 pm · #1049

Well, the suspension parts have been bought... Went with 10" long 300lb/in springs, on T3's recommendation.
The spring rate and length are more for an OEM like height and suspension travel, mainly the latter. Retaining proper suspension travel is VERY important to me, not lowering. :P

I also picked up a generic cast T3 manifold for my SR, more to come on that, still collecting a few parts for that.
Post Merge


Well damn, that was quick.
(https://i.imgur.com/gVDbK7r.jpg)

Looks to actually be a fairly quality casting, came with gaskets and everything... Only issue is that one of the studs they sent with it are threaded incorrectly, but that's minor considering I only paid $79 for it (free shipping too).
Post Merge
(https://i.imgur.com/YsJ87hz.jpg)
Assembled...

Won't be able to use the internal wastegate though, the actuator is too big and will hit the valve cover.
So... that makes the exhaust a little more difficult
Big BrotherNov 1, 2012, 11:46 pm · #1050

FFS, it took you all of 3 seconds to tear my damn Bug apart! :idea:
You best be able to put the exhaust back together when I need it back....
That the manifold from my link, or did you find a deal somewhere? You must let us know how much improvement it makes over that pitifully puny T25, of course.

For the wastegate, you can always reclock the turbo. If the bolt holes for the actuator don't line up, it's possible to drill/tap new holes in the compressor housing to accommodate. Failing that you'll probably end up with a chinese external, since I know you're a cheapskate (worse than me most likely). I'd lend you my Audi external gate, but it's being saved for the Corvair.

Lastly, here's what I came up with on the spacer plate you 'jetted me.

(http://miniman82.4t.com/car%20stuff/mini%20manifold/IMGP5879.JPG)

(http://miniman82.4t.com/car%20stuff/mini%20manifold/IMGP5888.JPG)

(http://miniman82.4t.com/car%20stuff/mini%20manifold/IMGP5880.JPG)

Got on the Bridgeport, tilted it at a 45 degree angle, then used an endmill to carve out a pocket for the injectors (all freehand mind you, no CNC shite here!). After that, I guessed at the position I wanted and drilled some holes. I thought I screwed myself at first because I broke through right at the edge on the other side, but it ended up working out well because all I had to do is grind a slight recess in the manifold and they are well hidden from the airflow. The tips barely protrude at all, so that's good. It's secured with allen head machine screws, sunk into the aluminum.

Here's a few shots, looking up the head side of the runners at the TB side. I have a choice between 281cc or 317cc Audi/VW injectors. I read that these are dual cone jobs, whatever that means. They have 4 holes, disc style. Pico body are the only ones that will fit, Ford ones are out of the question due to space. Not a big difference between the two injectors flow-wise, I suppose I'll go with the 317's in case I put a hairdryer on it later. Hope it's not too much for the litte 1293 to handle. :evillaugh:

(http://miniman82.4t.com/car%20stuff/mini%20manifold/IMGP5884.JPG)
(http://miniman82.4t.com/car%20stuff/mini%20manifold/IMGP5885.JPG)
(http://miniman82.4t.com/car%20stuff/mini%20manifold/IMGP5886.JPG)
(http://miniman82.4t.com/car%20stuff/mini%20manifold/IMGP5887.JPG)