Browse › Tech ›Brakes, suspension and wheels

The Final Solution( Not For Nazi Germany) Rear Suspension

Started by abunaiS12 · Apr 12, 2007 · 72postsSMF 2010–26

sicjJun 28, 2007, 2:27 am · #51

so what do we do about the front?

The rear has been figured out w/ Mustang Shocks, but what about the front?

Since we're going from 13" rear spring to a 7-8" we're dropping 5".

I think I read something about MR2 front shocks w/ a shorter spring.

So what have you guys running 8" or even 7" springs done for the front?

GopherJun 28, 2007, 6:33 am · #52

use 280zx struta or sw20 mr2 struts thats about your only choice

oldschoolsilviaJun 28, 2007, 5:24 pm · #53

^^^

There is always S13 suspension to swap over to up front

sicjJun 29, 2007, 3:28 am · #54
oldschoolsilvia^^^

There is always S13 suspension to swap over to up front  


yes I will be going to s13 front suspension/hubs, and you have some room to drop the strut down in the knuckle a little more than stock height, but is it enough to balance out the lowered back end?

also can we use adjustable upper hats (T3 hats) on "factory" type struts?

I don't want to try to find just two front coilovers. A good upgraded strut is enough for me.
mod_mastazJun 29, 2007, 5:33 am · #55

Factory struts don't fit because it's too big. I saw on a euro site that they had to chop the front strut towers and widen it. Just look around the classified for some S13 coils. It took me 3 weeks to find some Tein HAs. Check some import shops for some. I was recently as Upgarage in WA and I saw some. I'm sure other import shops have TONS laying around from front clips. Just remember to get coils with camber adjustment. I'll post a writeup when I get back to Socal and do my suspension.

Ju_S12_TurboSep 20, 2007, 11:11 pm · #56

Bump, Anyone else done this?

mod_mastazSep 21, 2007, 8:53 am · #57

Ju_S12_Turbo, done what? I've used the foxbody mustang shocks and they fit. You'll just need some washers where the bottom on the shock goes to the trailing arm, but even without it it'll be fine.

GopherSep 27, 2007, 4:57 am · #58

im rocking the 280zx front strut set up with ST springs and hacked ST spring and fox body shocks in the rear no problems

Abunai S-12 DrifterOct 2, 2007, 6:02 pm · #59

I now have Nik's (AbunaiS12) suspension setup. It's GREAT! The KYB shocks are super stiff. And the Swift springs a great too. I took them off his S12 when he gave it to me.

shinmei2006Nov 21, 2007, 7:48 am · #60
Abunai S-12 DrifterI now have Nik's (AbunaiS12) suspension setup. It's GREAT! The KYB shocks are super stiff. And the Swift springs a great too. I took them off his S12 when he gave it to me.


as far as cutting the mount, couldnt you just mold some flexane/urethane "adapters" sorta like how ppl make custom motor mounts?

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=215490
downshiftDec 8, 2007, 1:28 pm · #61

gl

turbomits95Mar 31, 2008, 4:22 am · #62

So, I'm sitting here trying to sum up.

Use 9"/2.5" ID/400lb springs in back with 89 mustang KYB AGX shocks and cut a small notch from the lower spring perch to fit the 2.5" ID spring over it...

Use 6"/2.5" ID/350lb springs in front with SW20 KYB AGX strut inserts with no modification?

400 rear with 350 front is to attempt to maintane the same ratio as stock 116 front 174 rear.

Am I on the right track here? I have an 88 SE

TalkingGoatsApr 1, 2008, 6:02 pm · #63
abunaiS12ok well i did the fronts and its totally off way too high even .5 inch higher than before! with this setup..
posted image
posted image
posted image
this is with all the stuff from the stock setup and the extra spring seat so somehow i need to get rid of about 2.5 inches, any ideas?
im thinking i need to cut the 3 bolt plate so its flat basically and take out the ball bearing part completely and the thick spring seat that might get me 2.5 inches but would that be an ok way to do it? what is the point of that ball bearing thing anyway
ahhhhggg im such an idiot i didnt even think about the fact of how the larger spring sits up higher because it goes to the outsides of the mount thing and the way i just did it went to the inside about 2.5 inches lower! duh!!


Did this actually hold up? Structurally the car can support this?
mod_mastazApr 1, 2008, 11:46 pm · #64

You'd be better off with AFCO/KONI/GC adjustable sleeves. They fit 2.5" ID springs and you get the the height adjustment as well. Besides that, they look like they'll hold up fine. The spring is still being supported by stock perches.

TalkingGoatsApr 2, 2008, 12:29 am · #65

Thanks man. Just having a hard time finding custom springs that fit the bill. It will look like ass but i dont care.

8SixS12Oct 30, 2010, 2:41 pm · #66

So abunaiS12, what did you end up doing for your front setup?

JonBOct 30, 2010, 4:21 pm · #67

Did I mention that there was a Pro-Shocks coil over kit that fits pretty much perfectly. You'll just need to cut the pirch off of the strut and weld stops so the threaded sleeve doesn't slide all the way to the bottom. Yes the upper mount fits the Nissan/MR2 strut perfectly.

8SixS12Nov 6, 2010, 12:54 pm · #68

Which kit is it.  Give me a part # and I'll check it out when @ work tomorrow.  BTW, I checked out a civic coilover sleeve kit just for $hits and giggles.  The front is about 2 inches too high but, they would work on the rear as the springs with the perch at the lowest setting measured 8 1/4 inches.  Only thing is getting the perch to stay on the rear control arm without popping out.

JonBNov 6, 2010, 3:26 pm · #69
8SixS12 on 12:54:00 PM / 06-Nov-10Which kit is it.  Give me a part # and I'll check it out when @ work tomorrow.  BTW, I checked out a civic coilover sleeve kit just for $hits and giggles.  The front is about 2 inches too high but, they would work on the rear as the springs with the perch at the lowest setting measured 8 1/4 inches.  Only thing is getting the perch to stay on the rear control arm without popping out.


Not sure off of the top of my head. I've done this a few years back. It's just for the front, and you'll have to knock the pirch off and weld stops for the threaded spring collar.

There was a post on here a while back that said where to get steel sleeves that one can weld to the rear trailing arms. I just notched my rear spring locator and ran a common coil-over spring with no adjustor. There's every imaginable rate and height available for 2.5" springs. I want to do the steel collar in the rear, but just haven't focused my energy there - been pretty pleased with my spring choice there.
alundraNov 7, 2010, 12:56 am · #70

Seems dangerous to me

sam31183Nov 7, 2010, 1:34 am · #71

even the ae86 has a cut/weld on front coilover kit....which my brother thinks would work for the s12.

JonBNov 7, 2010, 1:54 am · #72
alundra on 12:56:40 AM / 07-Nov-10Seems dangerous to me
Which part?

If one were afraid to weld, I'd think they could cut the collar and use the stock pirch as a stop. I don't know what the disadvantages would be; I lopped my pirches. But I imagine if you got, say a 75 LB 12" spring and cut it to 6", It'd be 150lb spring then. Should still be able to find the correct spring rate/ride height. Unless one wouldn't want to cut springs either.

No cutting, no welding, no retrofitting; maybe time to buy a more popular car:).

Just trying to help