Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Remote mount turbo V6 project

Started by Joel07 · Apr 14, 2005 · 686postsSMF 2010–26vBulletin 2004–05

iceagegMay 1, 2016, 6:32 pm · #651

Proof or it didn't happen!

sideways_s12May 1, 2016, 7:24 pm · #652

Nice work!

mcNov 13, 2016, 3:56 pm · #653

...i put off repairing this spot for to long and it was a lot worse than expect ed.
posted image
Post Merge


..removed the ground effects.
posted image
Post Merge
...i used Drexel grinder to get the weakest stuff moved out...i used a rust convertor to stabilize what was left...finished that over with fiberglass/resin,ect.
posted image
Post Merge
....sprayed it with a epoxy primer...finished it with urathane color and clear.
posted image
Post Merge
...i resprayed the ground effects kit.
posted image
Post Merge
....reassembled and polished.
posted image
RedneckNov 29, 2016, 1:53 pm · #654

Looks great. Came out really nice. Love how the s14 5 spokes look on the SE too  :thumbsup:

mcDec 2, 2016, 6:20 pm · #655
Redneck on 01:53:10 PM / 29-Nov-16Looks great. Came out really nice. Love how the s14 5 spokes look on the SE too  :thumbsup:
..thanks, I put a lot of effort for something in the end was covered over by the ground effects kit?  Hopefully the rust stays out there for awhile.
mcJan 16, 2017, 7:42 am · #656

...picked up a cheap turbo jacket.

sideways_s12May 21, 2017, 12:23 am · #657

Photo not found boooo lol

mcMay 21, 2017, 6:03 am · #658

...working on it
Post Merge


posted image
sideways_s12May 21, 2017, 11:08 pm · #659

What are your power numbers?

mcMay 23, 2017, 7:51 am · #660

...never "dyno'd" her, but g timer puts it in the 260-270 range.

sideways_s12May 27, 2017, 8:27 pm · #661

that's it ? with your mods I would of thought it was more... not that those numbers are bad

mcNov 3, 2017, 2:28 pm · #662

...fixed the pics through out this thread....hopefully it lasts awhile. LOL

sideways_s12Jan 27, 2021, 9:05 pm · #663

Anybody know how this project turned out? I was loosely following it.

mcMay 1, 2021, 7:22 am · #664

Four years and no updates? Must have sold it  for 15k !
Nah, it's been sitting and neglected, stealing needed space in the garage.
It developed a habit of going through MAF units to frequently, oil mist and boost popping the MAF lid. I decided to go back to a draw through instead of blow through. I made a new extension harness to relocate the MAF to the rear pre turbo. I had few issues after doing the move. The MAF doesn't like to be to close to the turbo, it would keep stalling out after rev/shift. Just moving the turbo a half foot cleared up that problem. The other issue is the BOV has to be relocated, trying to mod that in the back now. Other than the turbo flutter because of no BOV, it hasn't felt this fine in a long time.

mcMay 2, 2021, 6:54 pm · #665
posted image
...I used double shielded wire (Foil and mesh)for the harness to eliminate any interference. I had to send off my 300zx turbo (yellow label)MAF to Cockauto/Cardone for their rebuild service. Turnaround time was two weeks and it works great.
mcMay 5, 2021, 2:29 pm · #666

...I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a stepped drill bit set and some grommets..drilled a hole to accept a he 1.00" grommet for the pressure relief line back to the MAF.
posted image
Post Merge


...just remember to stop drilling early and test fit..very easy to overshoot the grommet size.
posted image
mcMay 6, 2021, 6:29 pm · #667
posted image
Post Merge
posted image
sideways_s12May 7, 2021, 3:21 pm · #668

Nice glad to see her still kickin!

mcMay 8, 2021, 3:48 pm · #669

Thanks Sideways...it's pretty cool getting to work on her once again. Here is a clearance shot of everything back there..it's crowded, but at least it's weight in the back.
posted image

MasterSpazezMay 10, 2021, 12:58 pm · #670

I love this build. If i kept my SE I would have definitely gone this route.

mcJul 13, 2022, 6:37 am · #671

ECU ground wires(bundle) with sketchy resistance were #107, 109, 112 and 113. 112 was the worst
at 1.7 ohms.  I always had issues with the car running great and Not for no reason!!  I would be able to jiggle that harness and everything would go back to normal(sometimes)…I assumed it was the 3 harness ECU clips but it was further up the harness. That section is within a flexible  thick jacket which I slit open and carefully peeled it back.unwrapped the black tape and finally found the problem child… Check it if you have similar issues.

mcJul 15, 2022, 11:37 am · #672

today,  I rewired  the fuel pump and rear oil return pump. I split the two which were sharing a single relay and gave each its own relay. I used the ECU wires #20 and 108 which are both  ECU controlled grounds to power up the 85/86 relay portion of the relays, which allowed the  relay 30/87 to carry heavy wires to the two pumps so far its working perfect.want to do the same with the dual electric fans, the one relay for both is having some issues ...I also need to reinstall the BOV, meth injection.

mcJul 22, 2022, 7:42 am · #673

...issues again... tried starting her up and no crank/spin from the starter?  I thought it was the clutch pedal interlock switch but it was fine...¦it is the original starter but its never felt on its way out..looked in the factory manual and checked the fuse panel and it was fine..book said to check the fuseable links and they were fine¦next it mentions the ignition relay? searched the manual and its buried up inside the passenger side dash? Holy crap, why they make it impossible to access? I gave up on it. Book mentions the factory alarm under the passenger seat, so I unplugged it and the car starts!...it has been retired after 34 years.
Also reinstalled the SVO inter cooler and fans/baffle...fits great under the hood scoop again... installed a BOV, it eliminates the turbo surge warble after shifts.
...and I found a old trans cooler which will get installed in the rear oil turbo return line... it should scrub a little heat off.

mcJul 23, 2022, 7:11 pm · #674

...cool enough today(90F plus)and the Harbor Freight Shop fan on level three to get a small upgrade done…I have had a cast aluminum 300zx turbo pipe for 15 years now just waiting to be tried...it's now  mounted and actually works better than the prior set up because it aligns with this intercooler perfect!

mcJul 25, 2022, 1:38 pm · #675
posted image
…pix of sketchy ground bundle in the drivers foot well.
Post Merge
posted image
I don't remember what it was pulled from.
mcJul 27, 2022, 1:33 pm · #676

…poor man's oil return cooler.
posted image
Post Merge



…Real estate for the intercooler.
posted image
Post Merge

posted image
Post Merge

posted image
Post Merge


Post Merge

posted image
mcJul 29, 2022, 3:33 pm · #677

...always wanted to add a 300zx Turbo type label!
posted image

sideways_s12Jul 31, 2022, 2:10 pm · #678

How did the fans workout for you on the intercooler set-up?

mcAug 1, 2022, 9:07 pm · #679

...for my needs it is decent... the long return pressure pipe is aluminum so it scrubs off heat... this small IC with dual five inch fans plus the hood scoop does the rest... nice compact set-up.

sideways_s12Aug 2, 2022, 10:28 pm · #680

What are the air temps like with that set up? and does the response feel a little better. also is the fan on a toggle or comes on when you turn the car on I only ask because in the winter time you probably wont need the fans as much

mcAug 3, 2022, 4:00 pm · #681

Sideways,,,,no recent data, I have tracked it in the past with a  Fluke MM with thermocouple but a long time ago...I agree about installing a simple toggle switch for a way control.

sideways_s12Aug 10, 2022, 2:39 pm · #682

oh ok...

Ju_S12_TurboOct 14, 2022, 12:24 am · #683

This build always gets me stoked, I remember first seeing it back in the day. I plan on turboing my VG at some point, i'll probably go a more traditional mount though. Have you considered switching to a Standalone ECU? I know its a bit much and adds more wiring, but it is so nice once it's all set up.

kelso840Oct 14, 2022, 7:17 pm · #684
mc on 03:33:22 PM / 29-Jul-22
...always wanted to add a 300zx Turbo type label!
posted image

How did I miss these pool noodles?? Maximum style points.
mcOct 18, 2022, 10:50 am · #685
Ju_S12_Turbo on 12:24:10 AM / 14-Oct-22
This build always gets me stoked, I remember first seeing it back in the day. I plan on turboing my VG at some point, i'll probably go a more traditional mount though. Have you considered switching to a Standalone ECU? I know its a bit much and adds more wiring, but it is so nice once it's all set up.
Ju_S12_Turbo on 12:24:10 AM / 14-Oct-22
This build always gets me stoked, I remember first seeing it back in the day. I plan on turboing my VG at some point, i'll probably go a more traditional mount though. Have you considered switching to a Standalone ECU? I know its a bit much and adds more wiring, but it is so nice once it's all set up.
…definitely build yours with a front turbo and oil drain set up…I've had many issues with the rear oil return pump over the years.  I have worked them all out but it's tried my patience.  I really should rewire it for a stand-alone ECU. There is plenty of info and vids showing how to do it these days.
Ju_S12_TurboOct 28, 2022, 2:32 am · #686
mc on 10:50:41 AM / 18-Oct-22
…definitely build yours with a front turbo and oil drain set up…I've had many issues with the rear oil return pump over the years.  I have worked them all out but it's tried my patience.  I really should rewire it for a stand-alone ECU. There is plenty of info and vids showing how to do it these days.

Yeah I plan to stuff it on the driver side where the factory air box goes.  I've done a few different standalones on a couple different motors, it's definitely time consuming, but it's really not that hard. It's also really nice to be able to use whatever sensor you feel like haha.  I just finished stuffing a turbo in my S12 with a S50b30 out of a 95 m3, turbo is the best haha,

I've been a fan of the Link ECU, I really like that you can look at the trigger scope and make sure you cam/crank sensor is doing what it's supposed to haha.