Sorry to dig up a dead post.
That pic posted by joel07 was the first ca20de i built.
It has a ca20 block, ca18de head, ca18de gasket.
I had to drill and tap the front of the block to fit the idler pulley. There is a blank spot where it goes. Exactly the same place as the ca16/ca18de
I also had to muck with the head bolts. ca20 is m10x1.5mm
DE is m11x1.5mm
I couldn't find any bolts that were suitable, and i didnt want to pay anything, so i ended up using vg20et bolts and shortened the thread end.
I got a friend to make up a timing belt pulley, he just put a sleeve into the de one.
It went pretty hard, considering the blttom was stock 290,000km and i didnt rebuild it, just slapped it together and ran it.
I had a few teething troubles, but got it running right.
I used stock ca18de loom and ecu and it started straight away.
Also needed a timing belt, it took me a long time to find one. I originally ran a belt that was too wide and cut it down , but it was dodgy, so i got some custom made in the states and sent to me in NZ.
It has been dismantled for parts, and the block was rooted.
So there ya go, It can be done and has :)
date not saved · #51