saw your name on the vegasdrift driver list. crunch time!!!
Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects
Iggy's "onto the next one" 86 Hatch, CA20ET, FD ProAm Dreams
Lol, he isn't the only one there.
crunch time for you too then!
the motor is ready to fire up. the main things left to do is putting the windshield in. putting in the drivers window/weatherstrip/trim. putting on the rear quarter glasses, fenders, hood, front bumper, headlights, rear wheels. adding fluid to the trans. hookup the rear lights. install the fire extinguisher, roll cage padding, and battery cutoff switch. still waiting on a new rear shock for the right side. should be coming in the mail today. if it doesnt come then i'll get a cheap one from autozone
you check out that can/am efi box?
yes it looks nice. more useful for putting an efi motor in a non efi car but still really nice
sorry for the lack of photos during the last few days
here it is morning of the event with my friend Jeff's car at 7/11 getting energy drinks and cash from the ATM
obligatory "DAT ASS" photo he took as we left my neighborhood
sorry no photos of it sliding yet but i'll post any that I find. I had some problems with the car. first of course was the hot pipe popping off. then it became obvious that the car really needed to be aligned. it felt a lot different than the notch. its possible that welding up the front end has introduced initial understeer into the chassis. I'll have to look into that more. then I lost cylinder 1 just like the last event. we popped the plugs out and they were flattened just like before. still no clue what the cause of this is. I brought a new set of plugs with me this time so we swapped them out real quick. then the oil feed Tee for the turbo cracked and started spraying oil out. it just snapped off when i tried removing it of course so i was left with the brass stuck in the block. went home and got the same screw extractor I used last time this happened but this time it just chewed up the brass and left pieces in there so we had to roll to the nearest specialty hardware store and get a straight fluted screw extractor. they are made specifically for soft metal. it worked like a charm and i got the car back on the track with just the turbo oil feed line and no oil pressure gauge. the delay cost a bunch of time tho but I got some good runs in on both the 3rd gear and 2nd gear courses. after a run on the 2nd gear course it was suddenly running on 3 cylinders again. we checked all the plugs but they were good and i checked the injectors but they were firing. so it must be a loss of compression. i dont know which cylinder it is yet but i could hear a little pit of piston slap when revving it so I think its broken ring lands. I'm going to find out for sure soon. it was near the end of the day by that time anyway so we called it quits and limped the car home. I'm on the lookout for a ca20 longblock or shortblock tho
thanks guys for all your support
Shitty. Why not just rebuild the one you have?
its a ca20. if i have to i can frankenstein the 2 ca20s i have into one good one
True
Why don't you slap a ka24de in there.
down here a typical ka swap is 400-600 bucks plus u dont really get a "swap" just the motor and trans. 240 guys dont need the whole setup so nobody usually sells the whole setup
havent found any pics. the main photographer from the event lost all his pics and vid cuz his sd card crashed when he put it in his computer
i cleaned up the garage a little after work today. i might get the car back in the garage tomorrow
Post Merge
plus KAs suck
I concur on the suckage of the ka!
KA is only good for reliability. Unless you dump some $$$ then it can be a bad ass truck motor. On the good side to that is the after market is huge. Lot of times it's just easier for quick power to swap into an SR20DET in which that is what the 240 fan boys normally do, but then again it's $$$.
ca20e's are cheap or should be, anyways in the hendospun yard there was an ca18et that was ripped apart head was ruining a nice set of seats from that turbo hatch and I thought the other s12 there was a ca20.
So you are telling me this picture I took of your car is the only one in existence from the event?
(http://www.g-funk.net/blog/wp-content/gallery/vegas-drift-24/img_20130127_140229.jpg)
KAs suck? How so?
With a ka you wont have to keep fixin it like ur ca20et
KA's are awesome. Pure blasphemy! Honestly though for a dedicated drift car they wouldn't be my first choice. Imo they are more ideal for a daily driver with occasional weekend warrior track sessions. I mostly say this because you have to add a turbo to get any real power out of them and it is gonna be more work to get everything you need to turbo it versus just picking up a ca18det or sr20det and calling it a day.
turbo-s12 on 11:45:46 PM / 30-Jan-13KAs suck? How so?I rarely have to fix my CA. On occasion I just get one from Turbo and replace the old one - easy as an oil change.
With a ka you wont have to keep fixin it like ur ca20et
a ka is better for drifting than a 20e though... IMO ca20 arent meant for boost they will just break
sorry not talking shit i think what ur doing is awesome iggy
Post Merge
rednucleus on 12:28:34 AM / 31-Jan-13I rarely have to fix my CA. On occasion I just get one from Turbo and replace the old one - easy as an oil change.but urs isnt boosted ;)
if i ever get another ca20e ill let you know lol
Really in case a ka is going to be a far better choice over a ca20et. That motor can't be making more power then the ka with less reliability. I can get you a full swap for 5-600 today with everything
haha its not a single cam CA>KA thing at all. I dont like the KA for a few reasons. stock reliability isnt one of them. and i dont think that the ca20 or my ca20et setup is some kind of god setup. I did this cuz it was cheap. I already had most everything i needed for it. even if i have to buy another ca20 its still cheap. getting the car legal for tandem has been way more expensive
:thumbsup:
trust me i love your build, i was just throwing up an idea. is it really that cheap to be fixing it after every event and it being the same problem over and over?
It wasn't the same problem he believes it's ringlands this time around....
I know what u mean. I'm just crossing my fingers right now that the next one will last. If I come into some cash somehow then the vh45 will go in. Otherwise my options are super limited
Wen I was in Florida I got offered a full vh45 swap for free wen my ca20 blew up. But I had no time to do it before moving here to illinois
IggyEGuana on 02:34:08 PM / 01-Feb-13I know what u mean. I'm just crossing my fingers right now that the next one will last. If I come into some cash somehow then the vh45 will go in. Otherwise my options are super limited
I always thought the biggest achilles heel of the vh45's for drifting was that they have oil starvation problems. I have heard that a baffled oil pan however might solve this problem so if that is the case it seems like a fairly easy fix for some vh45 awesomeness.
night_s12 on 02:44:49 PM / 01-Feb-13Wen I was in Florida I got offered a full vh45 swap for free wen my ca20 blew up. But I had no time to do it before moving here to illinois
Should of brought it with you....
Had no way to do so. Loaded the se and drove up here
Ahh ok
Found out later they decided to build a go-kart around it lol
WHAAA? vh45 go cart?
Lol yup since we brought it up here I called my friend in Florida and in the year they've had it they've built a body around it with an r32 front end lol I wish I could see it but she didn't have any pics to send
Post Merge
Sorry your tread was jacked lol
that thing has got to be wicked fast...
I told them they should register it as a custom hot rod so they could. Street drive it lol that'd be bad ass
oh I would sooooooooo do that lol!
tore into the motor and found that the headgasket was blown the hell out between 2 and 3
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/526614_468798953187484_1462216246_n.jpg)
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/382256_468798903187489_1451549733_n.jpg)
its both good and bad news. good that the bottom end is still ok and i dont have to do all that work and spend all that time. but bad cuz its likely to blow again. tossing in a new gasket tomorrow
Post Merge
also i cut the locking tooth off the hand brake so it wont stay up anymore
Shitty hope it all works out
Whaaa no drift button like mine had lol....
Unfortunately, as much as I hate to say it as you, it will probably end up blowing again eventually. When my ca18et blew the headgasket it was in that exact same spot. Just gotta hope the new one lasts a little longer this time haha.
they don't make stronger ones do they?
think theres a company that can make custom headgaskets.
18et has a mls gasket im sure it would work with the ca20 keith was the one that verified this...but being a budget build he may not want to go thatroute last time i checked it was pricey....
Just noticed,, but how the heck did you pull the head without undoing the lower timing cover.. did you just take off the cam gear? I should have popped my head off this way to do the valves seals without undoing all the wiring/vac/ water and fuel lines on the intake side. Thanks for the idea :thumbsup:
Post Merge
oh, try a felpro head gasket. I found it to be a bit beefier then the stock one and only around $32 or so
Iggy, I know their a little pricey but Cometic makes an MLS gasket for the 18et. The down side to MLS is that the block needs to be decked smooth for it to work. I guess it depends on how many times you want to keep pulling that head off. Anyway, if you want I can double check the catalog and get you a price tomorrow when I go to work. Only thing is Cometic doesn't stock the gasket. It would take about two weeks for them to stamp one out for you. Just let me know.
Wouldn't this ca18det head gaskit work http://www.frsport.com/Cometic-H2207SP4045S-Metal-Head-Gasket-CA18DET-84-5mm-x--045-_p_16624.html it's 84.5 bore which is the same as the 20e. I just don't know about the water jackets hole lining up.
Shit, I dont have my old 20 gasket or i would compare it to my det water jackets :(
8SixS12 on 08:31:45 AM / 06-Feb-13Iggy, I know their a little pricey but Cometic makes an MLS gasket for the 18et.
Basically repeated what I said...
ya the ca18det gasket works. but its all back together and running as of last night. today i washed it and cleaned the windows inside and out. and i rewrapped my steering wheel with some beefier athletic tape. Bat tape this time instead of M Tape. I just went over the m tape with it. feels good but we'll see if it peels up.
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/579626_469183619815684_672463905_n.jpg)
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/542623_469711989762847_1153505512_n.jpg)
gonna align it soon. i'll post a pic of the before and after numbers. should be funny
Post Merge
oh and i'm hoping to dyno it next week. theres a place here called Force Fed that Jason and I have dyno'd at before. But i heard the price went up. typical Vegas
I can wait for Dyno Days with Vegas LSx that gets the dyno done for like $50 3 pulls.
I believe price is still the same can you make a vid I'm dying to hear what this thing sounds like...
sideways_s12 on 08:01:36 PM / 06-Feb-13Basically repeated what I said...Yeah, lol. I just wanted to add that Cometic was the manufacturer.