Browse › Community ›Lounge

Feeler thread for Strut Tower bars for s12s, and Carbon fiber hoods.

Started by psycolistic · Oct 5, 2011 · 137postsSMF 2010–26

Wolf DilworthNov 6, 2011, 8:41 pm · #101

You are doijng a great job so far...  For those who want engine compartment Bling.  Still has pivots, which translate into flex.

SchizophrenicMCNov 6, 2011, 8:46 pm · #102

^ This

ArroNov 11, 2011, 2:56 am · #103

Ok so it seems the bar still has pivot points.

Bart's did, too, but the bar itself was not just some random bent strip of steel. I helped him design that bar, It's crease-folded before it's bent, and the underside has a steel rod welded up into the divot of the crease. That's why he was not only able to stand on it, but JUMP on it with virtually no flex.

The problem with the bars is that there's no good way to design these without a pivot, because a straight-across design... well, I'll tell you all the same thing I told Bart back then. It sucks. Bart used to get really pissed off with me but in the end he understood I was right. The VG's intake plenum sits high, the KA24DE sits high, and the FJ20E/ET sits high. Bart's bar, while it still had pivot points, helped reduce certain geometric moment, but yes, only reduced and only some.

A solid bar would need something like Bart's center bar, with the bracket ends WELDED to it, with BIG adjoining steel tabs, not something flimsy that will still flex a bit under torsional stresses.

If anyone was willing to part with one of Bart's bars, I could design what we needed. Bart himself is gone from the picture.

DjayS12Nov 11, 2011, 7:45 am · #104

I still have my Bart strut bar. I can take pictures and measurement if you want. His bar clear the KADE so I assume it will clear most of the engine that we can stuff in our S12

(http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/40034_417377476511_564116511_5138302_7128787_n.jpg)

(http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/60254_436288061511_564116511_5600570_3591907_n.jpg)

ArroNov 11, 2011, 12:48 pm · #105

No I need the bar itself.

PigpenNov 14, 2011, 2:54 pm · #106

Ok now that we have strut bars that fit the ca20 cars I need to find the clearance for the other motors. Now witch motor sits the highest so I can base it of that so it will fit all other motors.

SlickS12Nov 14, 2011, 3:35 pm · #107
Pigpen on 02:54:07 PM / 14-Nov-11Ok now that we have strut bars that fit the ca20 cars I need to find the clearance for the other motors. Now witch motor sits the highest so I can base it of that so it will fit all other motors.


I would guess it's the vg and more specifically the highest, height wise, engine combination would be the vg with the pathfinder manifold or the vg33er but I wouldn't count on any bar making it's way over that one..
KevinJDMNov 15, 2011, 11:59 am · #108

I read a thread about how several different turbos that do/don't bolt straight on to our engines with whatever ease and which ones fit and which ones don't. I have been looking for it beacuse I wanted to refer back to it about stuff and now I can't find it. I feel as though I have looked everywhere...but apparently it's somewhere since I read it not so long ago. I think it was posted by a mod. if anyone happens to know where this thread is and wants to post the link to it, it would be much appreciated. Sorry for wasting your time if you read this....blah.

JayNov 15, 2011, 1:03 pm · #109

Wow. You car looks exactly how mine did before my paws got itchy....

I have no idea about the thread though.

PigpenNov 16, 2011, 4:43 pm · #110

anybody want a bar for there ca20/ca18 s12 we got everything worked out and they fit nice! as for other motors they are coming soon.
If you want to order one message me about what color and shipping address.
Im going to post pics of the finished product latter today.

KevinJDMNov 17, 2011, 5:26 pm · #111

nobody has seen it before? damn...

sideways_s12Nov 17, 2011, 5:46 pm · #112

I have but don't remember where it is I believe arro started it.....

KevinJDMNov 18, 2011, 9:34 am · #113

Yea I think so too. So i went to his profile and went to all the threads he started and couldn't find it haha. Time to go creep again =P. I hope you read this Arro!

sideways_s12Nov 18, 2011, 11:51 am · #114

if he didn't start it then it's hella old you gotta dig way back look in the ca18et section

KevinJDMNov 18, 2011, 12:01 pm · #115

I'll check that now. It seems familiar now that you mention that...the going deep into the pages of that section, since it is the engine in my s12...hmmm..i'm feeling hopeful!

nismo200sx16Nov 18, 2011, 5:08 pm · #116

found this on another forum. pretty funny stuff . http://www.iroc-zpostforum.com/iroc_idiot.mp3

sideways_s12Nov 18, 2011, 5:35 pm · #117

lol good luck

Gomesf1Nov 18, 2011, 6:13 pm · #118

OMG WTF PPL LIKE TIS SHOULD GET SHOT!!!!!!!!

Hemifan87Nov 18, 2011, 6:34 pm · #119

Id like to see him try that here lol they would be I'm impounding that "sweet ride" of his and giving him a new wardrobe.

seishukuNov 18, 2011, 7:42 pm · #120

wow... I think my IQ dropped every minute I listened to that guy.

SchizophrenicMCNov 18, 2011, 7:55 pm · #121

I couldn't stand to listen to it for very long.

People = stupid

Shark808Nov 18, 2011, 8:57 pm · #122

SoCal is full of actors.  Marlboro Reds on the dash?  Temporary tats so he can get a job?  Funny shit.  I can't imagine what he'd conjure up if his IROC were a convertible.  IROC owners must wanna kill this character!  Maybe he's a Trans Am owner posing, which would be an even better joke.

MaxpowNov 18, 2011, 9:00 pm · #123

This was a "fake" (read:paid) caller for a joke on a morning show. Saw it a few years ago on thirdgen.org.

StephenGNov 18, 2011, 9:24 pm · #124

lol, " upwards of 90mph". and i thought i was doing well at 108 in my hardbody.

seishukuNov 18, 2011, 9:28 pm · #125

I always find it funny when the Mythbuster get all excited when they hit 100MPH... That isn't THAT fast. cheesy

nismo200sx16Nov 18, 2011, 9:33 pm · #126

fake or not I thought it was pretty funny.

MaxpowNov 18, 2011, 9:43 pm · #127

Its definitely funny. Smiley Those of us who have 3rd gen love do get rather bum hurt when people make fun of our mullet man Cammies.

PigpenNov 19, 2011, 3:55 pm · #128

(http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq179/rome11six/strutbar2s12.jpg)
(http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq179/rome11six/strutbars12.jpg)

This is my bar, im getting a bar back from the anodize shop Monday or Tuesday that ill post pics of!

SlickS12Nov 19, 2011, 5:08 pm · #129
Wonderingraven on 09:54:42 PM / 05-Nov-11
(http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o146/wjayg/100_2979.jpg)
(http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o146/wjayg/100_2983.jpg)

that is from the z31

This is my engine bay.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/DSCF5421.JPG)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/DSCF5423.JPG)


You can really tell in these pictures how far back the vg sits in the z31 vs the s12.  The biggest issue i see would be getting around the throttle body connecting to the driver side tower.
WonderingravenNov 19, 2011, 5:23 pm · #130

lol 275 horsepower...

WonderingravenNov 19, 2011, 5:26 pm · #131

yeah indeed.

PigpenNov 19, 2011, 7:08 pm · #132

For me to make one and fit good i need to get my hands on a vg'd s12 any body got a vg for sale even if its blown i just need a motor to throw in my shell to base it off of.

MaxpowNov 19, 2011, 7:10 pm · #133
                
couldn't you make it a solid piece that goes like /             \

kinda like this (http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/1639/3401/29096700033_medium.jpg)

Shark808Nov 19, 2011, 8:01 pm · #134

Having lived is SoCal I'm still laughin about the "dude" because he is so L.A.  I'll be laughin for a week about some of his lines!  Guess being from there makes it so much more hilarious.  No "dudes" in Hawaii.  Only get "braddahs."

PigpenNov 19, 2011, 8:12 pm · #135

i prob could ill look into it.

MaxpowNov 19, 2011, 8:28 pm · #136

Haha. Dudes.

Shark808Nov 19, 2011, 10:05 pm · #137

"Number one.  I'm a taxpayer, OK?  That means I pay the salaries of the cops that pull me over.  That means if I didn't pay OK the salaries of the cops that pull me over they wouldn't pull me over on the account of they wouldn't be cops in the first place (pause) because salaries aren't getting paid." 

CHP can be an intimidating MoFo.
HB (Huntington Beach) cops are the worst to be pulled over by.  Be happy to just get ticketed and not harassed!  They pride themselves on their reputation.