good to know
Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects
Jordan's Garage- 1986 Notch Se, Vg30, 5-lug,
The quality isn't too good. I had to use my phone for the pictures.
It was a perfect fit. I did have to swap the trans mount between the two transmissions.



Jordan, your pics arent showing up. Btw, next year when I head over there, I def. want to meet up with you.
I don't know why they wouldn't be working... very odd. Head over to Spokane. We can drink beer and work on cars.
Pictures working now?
Yes, pics are good. I dont know if it was me or in general. Sorry I missed you a couple of months ago but I'll be heading back anyway.
nice to see the car coming along nicely. you know, the 90 maxima vg alternator bolts right up, is 53 bucks cheaper than the stock, and puts out 10 more amp. was nice when i had to change mine.
oh, since the motor is being built, you could strap on the tb from a ka. bolts right up and i even still have cruise. the only real modding i did was to use a bolt and nut to hold the cable in place. pic to come. dunno about power gain but gives good throttle response.
cant believe i typed this out on a psp
Update:
Harness is swaped, my car wont talk to me anymore Since the SE harness doesn't have that feature, oh well. Just have a few small things left and then its back to the engine to finish this swap up.
The only problem is I still don't have my Diff and we have a foot of snow now...fuck.
I cant wait to drive this thing. I loved my notch with the POS CA20. I cant imagine it with 50 more HP and a shit load more on the low end.
Huge thanks to my friend Jason for helping me with this swap. This would have taken me all winter without his experience.
Current Progress
Bad injector that cause a fire for the prior owner.
My beautiful interior
Huh, I always wondered what it would look like with the dash out. Now I know.
And knowing is half the battle!
^lol
jordan u should PM sideways_s12 he needs a new talkin lady box
hahah good looking out I do need a new one lol does it still work? like does she say everything....
She tells you when your keys are in the ignition or if your lights on on. Its funny but good when your tired or fucked up.
Been busy, moving soon. I'm going to miss my shop. I found an R200 over by seattle with a 3.5 ratio that would be perfect. I'll be in Bellvue later this month so if any of you Seattle guys have an R200 around let me know. My notch should be back running soon.
I'm going to tear into my Maxima VG today. I have to steal some gaskets and the fuel rail for the notch. Anyone have VG intake gaskets laying around?
Another tech question... the 3.5 ratio diff will make my speedometer off correct? How can I fix this? Would a speedometer cable from a 280z correct this?
I stole the fuel rail from my Maxima VG to repair the damage done to my SE's fuel rail harness(engine fire). Turns out the fuel rail and the injectors are completly different styles. The holes that the injectors go into on the Maxima engine are quite a bit bigger and the 200sx injectors are longer than the Maximas.
find out what size (CCs per minute) the SE injectors are and what size the Maxima's are. if they're the same and they're both the same impedence then ur in the clear on switching the setup.
The Maxima injectors arn't compatible with the S12 intake manifold. Now I either have to find a compatible fuel rail and injectors or find away to repair the one I have. The injector looks like it might still work but the black hose that goes to it is toast.
easy fix. the lip at the base of the hose has to be pryed back iirc but you can remove that hose and put a new lil piece of hose on.
JordanFYI, the paint job on the Supra and Notch only cost me $300. I used NAPA's comercial paint and a HVLP gun. I like the results but plan on re-shooting with a higher quality paint in a couple years.
Shit man, just go get you a pile of wet-dry sandpaper and color sand it, then buff it out and you will be so much happier with the results. You will have to do this with just about any quality of single stage paints. You could clear coat it but you will still want to color sand that paint first.
Peace, Wolf
Jordan
Don't worry dude, I decided do get a 3.7 rearend from a 300zx. The VG will have penty of power.
Don't forget that the SE 5 speed has an uber low first gear. 3.7 will work but first gear is only good to get you past the cross-walk.
If your Notch 5-speed is sound why not grab the gear train out of it and swap it to the SE housing? That would be different. On second thought, do some research 720's and ZX's might produce more favorable ratios.
looking good.
Peace, Wolf
Redneck(http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b198/redneck007/s12/P1010048.jpg)
Nice wheels :o)
(http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx158/wingnut510/Nissan%20S-12%20Project/LowAngleDriverside-Med04-05-2008.jpg)
Xanobtw, thats a CA20E - B trans.
The CA20E C trans looks the same as the VG trans, just slightly smaller.
Doh! I forgot that you non SE types have to deal with those gawd awful B's.
Ignore the part, in my earlier post, about using the gear train from the notch tranny. Still be worth looking at 720's and ZX's.
Peace, Wolf
JordanI found an R200 over by seattle with a 3.5 ratio that would be perfect. I'll be in Bellvue later this month so if any of you Seattle guys have an R200 around let me know. My notch should be back running soon.
Another tech question... the 3.5 ratio diff will make my speedometer off correct? How can I fix this? Would a speedometer cable from a 280z correct this?
Damn I should really start reading these posts all the way through before I reply. Did you get the 3.5 diff? Better choice IMHO.
As for the speedo issue all you need is the little pinion that goes on the tranny end of the cable. They have different tooth counts, there is a post on here somewhere, sick-um!
Peace, Wolf
I found a 87 300zx turbo for parts! Hoping to get the rear diff and the ecu, maybe more depending on funds.
I got way to drunk to pick up anything when I was in Tacoma. I puked out of a cab........
Thanks for the help with this, this car when run soon.
Wolf DilworthNice wheels :o)Haha. Cool to see more people getting the s14 SE rims for their s12's. They really are a good looking 5 lug wheel for the price. Plus I love they fact they are 16's.
Wolf DilworthDoh! I forgot that you non SE types have to deal with those gawd awful B's.The Mk2 ca20's should have the C tranny as well. I have the B tranny on my ka-de s12 and I don't think it is as bad as everyone makes it out to be if they are in decent condition. It is true they are not nearly as smooth shifting as the C tranny but they can serve their basic purpose if you don't have a C tranny option available. I honestly plan on upgrading to the C tranny down the road but for now the B tranny is working fine for daily driving.
JordanI got way to drunk to pick up anything when I was in Tacoma. I puked out of a cab...Yeah puking out of cabs is all bad lol.
Finally picked up the R200 I needed. Stole it off a 1985 300zx.
Sould have some progress soon.
Found a Grey back seat for the notch at pull and save. The notch is getting close but we are running into some electrical issues. Just like Demonic....lol. Right now I have spark... and my wipers work. I'm wondering if some of my relays are shit since the SE I took all the parts from sat for a while....
It seems to be raining S12's in Spokane here. Let me know if anyone is looking for a new project.
Also learned that if you pick up a R200 from a 300z, you will have to have or pickup the 200sx style R200 diff mount since they are different.
I just went through the thread. Coming along good. Really nice to see another notch owner! Vg notch is win I've driven demonics12 car and it is damn fun and also after our last socal meet he ran a camry a newer one 08+ and modded heavily.......... well just let him chime on on that note . I think you'll be very pleased with the vg!
yeah dude that run was crazy...
chime.
I'm getting really excited about this project. Its finally coming together. I might be picking up a set of 240sx wheels later this week.
As long as these electrical issues don't stall the project I should be driving it soon. SOoo much more power than my old p.o.s CA20.
Oh, I need a speedo cable if anyone has one around.
Its Alive!
(http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq277/Jordansgarage/th_100_0361.jpg) (http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/qq277/Jordansgarage/?action=view¤t=100_0361.flv)
Still needs alot but its getting there. Huge thanks to my local friend Jason for all his help with this project.
Got to drive the notch for the first time since Jason finished the swap. It still needs alot but I can already tell its a completely different car now. Between the VG and the whole new drivetrain I feel like I bought a new car today. I didn't get on it too much yet, haven't even put the pedal to the metal. I want to see what this engine can do but first I have these issues to tend to:
-Water temp sensor hookup (just have to replace the plug)
-Oil pressure sensor hook up (connection melted/smashed)
-Exaust(my exaust ends after the Y pipe atm)
-Need a new speedo cable (Mine was melted by the exaust)
-Possibly need an SE brake booster. We'll see on this one.
-Move A\C compressor or air intake. Right now they are fighting for room.
Every notch needs a VG
JordanGot to drive the notch for the first time since Jason finished the swap. It still needs alot but I can already tell its a completely different car now. Between the VG and the whole new drivetrain I feel like I bought a new car today.This is exactly how I felt as well when I drove my s12 for the first time with the ka24de instead of the ca18et haha. It is pretty amazing how much of a difference an engine can make. Congrats man. Where are the pics of your notch with the new s14 SE rims .

Aw that is like a teaser pic haha. Will be cool to see better pics of it in the daylight.
Yeah, having some camera issues at the moment. I snapped a few with a camera I borrowed but they look like crap. I'm hoping to roll it out and wetsand/buff it. Then I should get a good picture.
I need a couple hundred bucks for exaust...
Still need a speedo cable.
Not much to update. Just switched jobs and am working to get out of poverty. The notch is sitting in storage till I get some cash. I accept donations and speedometer cables.
I'm having trouble finding a new speedo cable. Anyone know if they can be repaired? Mine is fine except where it was melted to shit in the middle.
Should have enough to get my exaust welded up in a few weeks. The notch will be back soon.
^junkyard
got mine there. the end broke off the original
Got my my speedo cable. Check out the spoiler from a late 80's celica gts.
yes get rid of the hood scoop and do not use that wing. s12 looks good as is. put ur time and energy into suspension and get a set of crown victoria wheels
lets see more pics of the hood scoop!
lol I have one....but I was kinda forced to use it since the previous owner cut a hole in the hood
Meh, wing is bolted on, its stayin. Hood scoop however is temporary. I like the spoiler look, its not just for hatches. There is a nice red notch on here with a mustang spoiler that looks good as well.
When I get new wheels its going to be something badass. I wouldn't consider Vic wheels much of an upgrade over S14 wheels.
Kustamogenlets see more pics of the hood scoop!
lol I have one....but I was kinda forced to use it since the previous owner cut a hole in the hood
I have a good picture a few pages back, took some shit for it
I dont mind the scoop so much really
KustamogenI dont mind the scoop so much really
Thanks
Pretty close to the one you have.
I would rather a Turbo hood....but.....Ill deal with mine ...and the hood scoops right over my intake so in theory its nice and functional haha....thats what I tell myself.....but better than a plain ole hole there!
JordanMeh, wing is bolted on, its stayin. Hood scoop however is temporary.Yeah I am not really feeling the hood scoop but the wing really doesn't seem that bad at all. Compared to the huge wings a lot of the s13 guys put on their cars this wing is very conservative and low key.
JordanI wouldn't consider Vic wheels much of an upgrade over S14 wheels.Agreed. I think the Crown Vic wheels are a good low budget option if you like mesh wheels but I prefer the basic 5 spoke look.
Low key is the only way to go when it comes to a spoiler. Most wings just make me grab my sides and die of laughter.
+1 on crown vics
-1 on spoiler
nice tho man she is looking good! mk1 coupe love bruh!
I always thought a duck wing would look good on the back of the notches...
http://www.rhdjapan.com/t-r-a-kyoto-6666-c...rear-wing-54755
something to this effect, but perhaps not so tall
VG33ERGazelle?I always thought a duck wing would look good on the back of the notches...
http://www.rhdjapan.com/t-r-a-kyoto-6666-c...rear-wing-54755
something to this effect, but perhaps not so tall
I know this is going to be taken the wrong way, but that is not a wing. That is a deflector or spoiler. Wings allow air to pass on both sides (in the same direction) of airfoil shape.
That said, I agree that wings look stupid on a notch, just not enough clean air back there to allow a wing to do its job. Duck-tail looks and functions much better.
u know that crown vickies are diff size, width, and offset than s14 wheels right?
if u just dont like mesh then i understand but for sizing and fitment they are far better