Browse › Tech ›Brakes, suspension and wheels

The Suspension Build Guide For Your S12

Started by mod_mastaz · Aug 12, 2007 · 168postsSMF 2010–26

D-sport S12Feb 20, 2012, 4:11 pm · #101

I will have it done next week. Sorry you couldn't read through some info and figure it out yourself. Instead you wanwant someone to hold your hand through this

nismo_200sxFeb 21, 2012, 9:19 am · #102

no im doing it myself im not a trial and error kind of person i research and then make educated guesses and do it.

CamInHeadMar 6, 2012, 1:58 pm · #103

I have;

S13 Lower Arms, Tension Rods and Track Rods & Ends, S14 hubs & knuckles (5 lug), Tension Rod Brackets and Sway Bar Mounts, Z32 front 4-pot ally calipers and brake lines.
I found today there's absolutly no chance of the stock sway bar lining-up with the drop-link holes on the S13 LCAs. They're about a quarter inch too far inboard, so S13 swaybar and links it is.
I measured the track widths front and rear and, with a Z31 rear and stock S14 wheels, the difference front/rear is ~70mm, with the front being much wider. I have 25mm spacers coming for the rear and the stock S12 front LCAs will reduce the front track by 20mm.

No one else has mentioned these problems and I'm not sure why I would be the first, unless it's because I've used a EuroDM car.

nismo_200sxMar 6, 2012, 4:43 pm · #104

no it's just because some people relay blotchy information on some parts needed not ALL. or they haven't even done it and are talking heresay like dsport does. the s12 sway doesn't line up at all you have to either cut the bushings in half or get 2 longer tension rod bolts with washers to space it out.

D-sport S12Mar 6, 2012, 9:29 pm · #105

Thanks but I'm pretty sure in pretty much finished my front end swap. Thanks for trying

JayMar 6, 2012, 9:46 pm · #106

I fail to see how this thread is unclear.

The only unclear thing about it is the issue of the tie rods and tie rod ends, which isn't addressed. So I'm going to edit those in.

nismo_200sxMar 8, 2012, 4:35 pm · #107

thanks jay! i got mine done on the 29th of last month. anybody trying to do this front conversion please please please have a spare s13 parts car just in case it helps and avoids tons of headaches when changing stuff

S12tannerApr 19, 2012, 12:54 am · #108

not to sound newbish same for the rear as well ??? and the differnce between s13 hybrid and just s13 a little more detailed please i want to run s13 coilovers but stock for now will work .. mostly want to know about the rear same parts as whats listed ???

EDIT::: judging by the controverysy this thread has i will be crytal CLEAR on my question!!

what is NEEDED for the rear ? does s13 work? or what car z31 or 280zx to achive rear coilovers
NOTE::: i want to change as much from stock as possible as theyre impossible to find in alberta

D-sport S12Apr 19, 2012, 10:44 am · #109

I just used a 8" blue coil spring from daymotorsports and I'm putting in some pro comp short stroke shocks when I get home from work

ArroApr 19, 2012, 11:17 am · #110

Yeah the S13 rear stuff won't work, and the few "coilover" brands that make rears as part of the set of four (fronts and rears sold as one kit) are "ok" at best... it's better to just assemble your own rear setup by purchasing a couple springs and some universal adustable sleeves for the lower perch. That information and pictures is all on this site just look at the info pinned.

SlickS12Apr 25, 2012, 7:41 pm · #111

Its unclear about this but, I dont want to switch to coilovers as I have canucks already, but I do want to upgrade the brakes to q45.  I have an 84 hatch so to upgrade to to those I would need SE strut tubes/spindles to accept the q45 brakes.  My question is could I re-use my stock hubs, or swap over to 240 4 lug hubs, to keep the same bolt pattern?

Also, kind of unrelated, would it be possible to use an s13/14 control arm with corresponding tc bar, sway bar and lower ball joint and bolt it to the se spindle??

DirtyGazeApr 25, 2012, 7:53 pm · #112
SlickS12 on 07:41:26 PM / 25-Apr-12Its unclear about this but, I dont want to switch to coilovers as I have canucks already, but I do want to upgrade the brakes to q45.  I have an 84 hatch so to upgrade to to those I would need SE strut tubes/spindles to accept the q45 brakes.  My question is could I re-use my stock hubs, or swap over to 240 4 lug hubs, to keep the same bolt pattern?

Im curious about that too.
ArroApr 26, 2012, 2:23 am · #113

1. I believe you would need to get Z31 4-lug hubs and rotor to go back to 4-lug. You can't use 240SX hubs without total S13 front conversion.

2. Using any other arm than the S12 control arm will result in much more negative camber. You don't need to change control arms, just modify the S12 arms to use newer style tension rods. Although really the Nismo "power bar"tension rod bracket is only just a metal tube welded between the tension rods. You could cut your own bar to fit with a hacksaw and have an exhaust shop weld it in place for 10-20 bux... without having to fuck with unneeded (and detrimental) changes.

DraconisApr 26, 2012, 5:51 am · #114
SlickS12 on 07:41:26 PM / 25-Apr-12Its unclear about this but, I dont want to switch to coilovers as I have canucks already, but I do want to upgrade the brakes to q45.  I have an 84 hatch so to upgrade to to those I would need SE strut tubes/spindles to accept the q45 brakes.  My question is could I re-use my stock hubs, or swap over to 240 4 lug hubs, to keep the same bolt pattern?

Also, kind of unrelated, would it be possible to use an s13/14 control arm with corresponding tc bar, sway bar and lower ball joint and bolt it to the se spindle??

You have an SE so that will be your biggest asset. It is best to find an 87-89 Z31 turbo hub and swap that over. That way you can then use slip on rotors. Then installing the Q45 calipers isnt that big of a deal. Just a matter of adding a shim or something as it needs to be spaced out appropriately. Hit up Silverton as he did this to his SE. I'll be doing the same but with a set of turbo Z32 calipers for what I need.
Colonel GustardApr 26, 2012, 6:29 pm · #115

for 4 lug guys, you swap over to Infinity M30 strut tubes and hubs, they already have slip on rotors and have the same caliper spacing as SE tubes. Basically you can upgrade to q45 or j30 rotors and calipers as long as you redrill the rotors and have slip ons at the same time while maintaining your 4 lug

DirtyGazeApr 26, 2012, 7:52 pm · #116
Colonel Gustard on 06:29:49 PM / 26-Apr-12for 4 lug guys, you swap over to Infinity M30 strut tubes and hubs, they already have slip on rotors and have the same caliper spacing as SE tubes. Basically you can upgrade to q45 or j30 rotors and calipers as long as you redrill the rotors and have slip ons at the same time while maintaining your 4 lug

So by that logic, I should get M30 Strut tubes and hubs, and do my coilover conversion on those instead of the SE strut tubes?  If thats true, I think Im in the market to find some, lol.
Colonel GustardApr 26, 2012, 11:08 pm · #117

Yes sir, thats the word on the street. Then let me get those SE tubes so i can do the coilovers on them lol

200srdriftApr 27, 2012, 1:50 am · #118

Do spring companies make smaller diameter springs than what come on like rear sets of PBM or tein or d2 or stance coilovers. My s14 rears are too wide to fit in s12 strut tower... my plan find either smaller diameter coil springs or get smaller springs for stock spring location.

Thanks

DirtyGazeApr 27, 2012, 1:06 pm · #119
200srdrift on 01:50:18 AM / 27-Apr-12Do spring companies make smaller diameter springs than what come on like rear sets of PBM or tein or d2 or stance coilovers. My s14 rears are too wide to fit in s12 strut tower... my plan find either smaller diameter coil springs or get smaller springs for stock spring location.

Thanks

Simple answer.
Yes.

Youll have to do some research and measuring to find out what you really want (5x8 spring 375 lbs).  Once you have that idea, check out Daymotorsports.com spring selection.  If they dont have it, other places do..but Im not familiar with them.
ArroApr 27, 2012, 1:20 pm · #120
DirtyGaze on 01:06:12 PM / 27-Apr-12Simple answer.
Yes.

Youll have to do some research and measuring to find out what you really want (5x8 spring 375 lbs).  Once you have that idea, check out Daymotorsports.com spring selection.  If they dont have it, other places do..but Im not familiar with them.

NO! I *think* he is asking us if he can stick a small diameter spring on a stock S12 spring perch, in which case the answer is NO! Like I said above, his question is UNCLEAR!

200srdrift: Are you talking about for the fronts or the rears? Your question is confusing.

Fronts: Not that will fit on stock strut tube spring perches. This is why we just build a sleeved coilover or switch to S13 knuckle and run an S13 coilover (which has the right spring and the right perch for that spring).

For the rears, the spring doesn't go around the shock so I am still assuming you're talking about the front.
200srdriftApr 28, 2012, 1:38 am · #121
Arro on 01:20:02 PM / 27-Apr-12NO! I *think* he is asking us if he can stick a small diameter spring on a stock S12 spring perch, in which case the answer is NO! Like I said above, his question is UNCLEAR!

200srdrift: Are you talking about for the fronts or the rears? Your question is confusing.

Fronts: Not that will fit on stock strut tube spring perches. This is why we just build a sleeved coilover or switch to S13 knuckle and run an S13 coilover (which has the right spring and the right perch for that spring).

For the rears, the spring doesn't go around the shock so I am still assuming you're talking about the front.

Question was where to find springs in custom sizing and rates for the stock rear spring location. Or also if there are smaller diameter springs that I can get to fit my coils so I can eliminate using any spring in the stock rear location all together.

Hope this isn't confusing either
ArroApr 28, 2012, 7:15 pm · #122

No now it isn't... so we're talking rears. Look here:

http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=33389.0

This shows custom built fronts, but also the setup for the rears incl. the spring size. Once you know the spring size to use, you can call Eibach and get whatever rates you want in a spring that size.  You're gonna have to do that because the company listed in that post no longer carries 5x8" springs, unless you want to sift through Summit and find springs in that size that are of a rate that's the same or close to what you're looking for.

200srdriftApr 29, 2012, 7:10 pm · #123
Arro on 07:15:23 PM / 28-Apr-12No now it isn't... so we're talking rears. Look here:

http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=33389.0

This shows custom built fronts, but also the setup for the rears incl. the spring size. Once you know the spring size to use, you can call Eibach and get whatever rates you want in a spring that size.  You're gonna have to do that because the company listed in that post no longer carries 5x8" springs, unless you want to sift through Summit and find springs in that size that are of a rate that's the same or close to what you're looking for.

good man... ill check it out

thanks
night_s12Apr 29, 2012, 9:06 pm · #124

so any 5x8 spring technically works u just gotta find the rate and length u want?

D-sport S12Apr 30, 2012, 7:55 am · #125

Arro I just ordered those 5 x8 springs not that long ago, around 1 month ago, and I have them in my car.
So unless you tried ordering them within the last month then they should still have them

ArroApr 30, 2012, 11:58 am · #126

The link was all fucked up once I went into his post and looked at it. They sell 5x8" springs, but the SSS blues that Justen uses aren't available through Day motorsports any longer... you have to get them from another vendor that deals with SSS (which I found). I'm working on cleaning up all the info so either today or tomorrow I should have all that straightened out.

DirtyGazeApr 30, 2012, 12:28 pm · #127
Arro on 01:20:02 PM / 27-Apr-12NO! I *think* ...

Did I just get pimp slapped by a mod?
ArroApr 30, 2012, 12:31 pm · #128

I was tired lol

200srdriftJun 9, 2012, 11:14 pm · #129

For the OP. How far off is the s13 tension rod brackets (TC brackets) to bolt up to chassis(s14 is a bit harder to source than s13)?

Slip n SlideJul 29, 2012, 3:12 pm · #130

My 1995 escort tie rod ends dont fit into my s13 spindles? Am I going to have to drill that out?

paulsilvSep 18, 2012, 6:27 pm · #131

Help

Quick question,
I have fitted S13 inner and outer track rods and whilst they fit, the wheels are pointing in opposite directions, even after max adjustment.

Page one states I can use A1 Racing ends with S12 inners, would A1 Racing ends fit S13 inners?

It also states, S13/s14 tie rod inner/outers combo, respectively.  Does this mean S13 inner with S14 outer, as an answer on Sxoc to the same question stated S14 outers will NOT fit S13 inners.

I have
S13 LCA'S
S13 Coilovers
S13 hub
S14 tension rod bracket
S14 tension rod
S14 anti roll bar
All fit perfectly, it's just the track rods I need to sort. 

Help, Help, Help

I_heart_VVLSep 19, 2012, 8:40 pm · #132

You need to cut your tie rods a bit, they are too long.

A1 outer tire rod uses the stock s12 inner, the s13 inner would be WAY too long when fitted to the A1 tire rod.

JaySep 19, 2012, 9:54 pm · #133

A-1 rods are for the stock S12 inners, they will not go on the S13 inner. Even if you tried, the S13 inner is an M12 threading. the S12 inner is an M14 threading.

paulsilvSep 23, 2012, 4:39 pm · #134

Would S14 inners and outers be fine if I cut the inners down?

paulsilvSep 29, 2012, 1:02 pm · #135

Done and sorted :yes:

(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SAVeJvvbgdk/UGctgo4ZwaI/AAAAAAAAAR0/s1mSy4nPXk4/s720/IMG_0255.JPG)

(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-U-nvjnKan74/UGctf1pSmkI/AAAAAAAAARs/1VemA9VaAi4/s912/IMG_0254.JPG)

Only problem now is the back of the spokes on my Lenso 17" wheels ET42 offset are catching on Skyline GTST calipers :yelling:

Does anyone know what offset I will need or cheap wheels that will fit???

night_s12Sep 30, 2012, 1:45 pm · #136

spacers
use them

paulsilvOct 1, 2012, 4:58 pm · #137
night_s12 on 01:45:57 PM / 30-Sep-12spacers
use them



Using spacers will have the wheels hanging out of the arches by an inch which may be an instant MOT failure.

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer?fgl=true&pli=1#photo/112730165112352569748/5750789776640794929/5794014563309607394 (https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer?fgl=true&pli=1#photo/112730165112352569748/5750789776640794929/5794014563309607394)

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer?fgl=true&pli=1#photo/112730165112352569748/5750789776640794929/5794014531614887954 (https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer?fgl=true&pli=1#photo/112730165112352569748/5750789776640794929/5794014531614887954)
VG30DETTOct 1, 2012, 5:32 pm · #138

How much space do you need to clear? If you get extended studs, you can run small spacers, as in like 2.5mm small.

paulsilvOct 1, 2012, 5:42 pm · #139

It's a good inch it needs spacing

VG30DETTOct 1, 2012, 5:52 pm · #140

Oh, yeah you won't benefit from that then. Space out some shitty hellasunk wheels for MOT insp. and swap out after?

D-sport S12Oct 3, 2012, 3:21 am · #141
VG30DETT on 05:52:16 PM / 01-Oct-12Oh, yeah you won't benefit from that then. Space out some shitty hellasunk wheels for MOT insp. and swap out after?

Well if the wheels are already +42 then they are sunk. You can fit a way more aggressive wheel on the front
paulsilvOct 3, 2012, 6:54 am · #142
D-sport S12 on 03:21:57 AM / 03-Oct-12Well if the wheels are already +42 then they are sunk. You can fit a way more aggressive wheel on the front

Take a look at my pics a couple of posts back, you can see they are virtually hanging out of the arches.  I am using S13 LCAs

in fact here they are along with measurements of the Skyline GTST calipers fitted

posted image

posted image

posted image

posted image
nismo_200sxOct 3, 2012, 2:02 pm · #143

the calipers are on the wrong side of the caliper bracket dude. it goes inside the two holes not outside

D-sport S12Oct 3, 2012, 2:28 pm · #144

Add some camber to it. I could easily fit a 15 x 7 et 0 on the front
What size tire is that and what width is the rim

paulsilvOct 3, 2012, 6:01 pm · #145

17x7, 205/40 tyres ET42

D-sport S12Oct 3, 2012, 10:15 pm · #146

Add some camber then
Those should easily fit

paulsilvOct 10, 2012, 3:43 pm · #147
nismo_200sx on 02:02:18 PM / 03-Oct-12the calipers are on the wrong side of the caliper bracket dude. it goes inside the two holes not outside

Can you show me pictures of your S13 front setup with Skyline R33 GTST calipers fitted so I can see
nismo_200sxOct 10, 2012, 8:53 pm · #148
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp313/arnny69er/IMG_0517.jpg

redrill r33 rotors to 4 lug
paulsilvOct 10, 2012, 9:56 pm · #149
nismo_200sx on 08:53:56 PM / 10-Oct-12http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp313/arnny69er/IMG_0517.jpg

redrill r33 rotors to 4 lug

they are redrilled to 4 lug.  can you show them all bolted to your car working?
nismo_200sxOct 11, 2012, 2:12 pm · #150

it isn't my car it's my friends but you have to get a caliper bracket extension with longer bolts or a different retrofitted caliper