Browse › Tech ›Brakes, suspension and wheels

Springs, Bushings, Misc Suspension Upgrade Options

Started by Mr.200 · Aug 30, 2004 · 121postsInvision 2005–09SMF 2010–26

bartc_jApr 26, 2009, 11:16 pm · #51
chris1986
so the full prothane z31 kit wil mostly fit our cars? i wil order a set soon

did someone fitted the prothane z31 irs rear subframe bushings yet?

greetings,
also within the next week i will have a full line up of uhmw bushings avaiable for the s12... it a step up from urethane if you;re looking for a much firmer feel
chris1986Apr 27, 2009, 5:54 am · #52
bartc_j
also within the next week i will have a full line up of uhmw bushings avaiable for the s12... it a step up from urethane if you;re looking for a much firmer feel

alright do you have the swaybar endlinks aswel?

greetings, chris
mcApr 27, 2009, 6:57 am · #53
bartc_j
also within the next week i will have a full line up of uhmw bushings avaiable for the s12... it a step up from urethane if you;re looking for a much firmer feel
Bart...does UHMW squeak like poly???...do you have a ballpark figure on the price for a complete s12 kit???
Wolf DilworthMay 8, 2009, 3:49 am · #54
bartc_j
also within the next week i will have a full line up of uhmw bushings avaiable for the s12... it a step up from urethane if you;re looking for a much firmer feel

Hey Bart

Where did you get the UHMW stuff from?  I was one of the lucky few who received their goods from "Mr. Bob"/MMR, but now two years hence I am reading some bad press on ol'boy and am a little leary about sending funds his way again.  I now have a donor car and another rear crossmember, for my daily driver "Wedgie" that is actually swiss cheese.  Short story here;(http://www.cardomain.com/id/wingnut510).

Peace, Wolf
bartc_jMay 8, 2009, 3:19 pm · #55

i have listed the bushings i have ready in the product section and those bushings that arnt listed will be up shortly.. if theres a bushings anyone needs aspa just pm me and i can always make one for ya

chris1986May 10, 2009, 3:04 pm · #56

i got the z31 prothane kit and i saw in this topic that the front swaybar endlinks needed minor modifications

someone know what kind of mods?

greetings,
chris

Jsvob03May 11, 2009, 7:50 am · #57
chris1986i got the z31 prothane kit and i saw in this topic that the front swaybar endlinks needed minor modifications

someone know what kind of mods?

greetings,
chris

longer bolts to compensate for the added compressed height of the bushing. i remember they were very hard to find. something like a 14 x 1.75
chris1986Sep 30, 2009, 7:38 am · #58

hi guys

i was wondering how to get the rear subframe and the rear arms bushings out

how do you guys do it?

greetings, chris

LeegamerSep 30, 2009, 9:10 am · #59
chris1986hi guys

i was wondering how to get the rear subframe and the rear arms bushings out

how do you guys do it?

greetings, chris

With Fire!

Phisherman09Sep 30, 2009, 9:22 am · #60
chris1986hi guys

i was wondering how to get the rear subframe and the rear arms bushings out

how do you guys do it?

greetings, chris
(front control arm bushings pictured, but you get the idea)
posted image
KeeFOct 2, 2009, 3:18 pm · #61
chris1986hi guys

i was wondering how to get the rear subframe and the rear arms bushings out

how do you guys do it?

greetings, chris

I followed Gary Molitor's instructions: subframe arm

ziggyMar 17, 2010, 8:23 pm · #62

Can someone tell me where to buy the Tokico or Koni shocks? THANKS!

ziggyMar 20, 2010, 4:31 pm · #63

would the KYB GR2 shocks and CM springs work?

Jsvob03Mar 20, 2010, 9:30 pm · #64
ziggywould the KYB GR2 shocks and CM springs work?

the KYB GR2 Strut Inserts will work, however i would not recommend them w/ CM drop springs. The struts are designed for OE ride height, not lower. Running a stock size strut on a lowered vehicle doesnt work like it should very long. I personally did this, not knowing the effects. after about a month, the front struts were done, and all the car did was bounce over bumps.

Now, the Rear shocks (KYB gas-a-just) did work ok, no major issues, but if you can find a shock designed for the lower ride height you would be better off in the long run.

as far as tokico/koni..IDK. sorry.
bluke1Mar 21, 2010, 9:29 am · #65

tire rack sells both koni an tokico, but google them and find your  best price.

i have the gr-2's and cm springs on my se, have for a month or two, and they still work fine. they may fail quicker then with stock springs, but i wanted to see for myself. if you have the cash for better shocks, get them. otherwise, i have found this combination to be fine (so far...)

ziggyMar 21, 2010, 12:41 pm · #66
bluke1tire rack sells both koni an tokico, but google them and find your  best price.

i have the gr-2's and cm springs on my se, have for a month or two, and they still work fine. they may fail quicker then with stock springs, but i wanted to see for myself. if you have the cash for better shocks, get them. otherwise, i have found this combination to be fine (so far...)

So you have the CM springs and the GR-2 shocks? and they work fine?

and Jsvob03 you had the same and it didnt work to well..... well I still wonder wich shocks I should get, i got my CM springs today and I want to change the shocks one time
sam31183Mar 21, 2010, 3:55 pm · #67

on tire racks site i can find the koni shocks for the back...for a z31, I cant find shit all for an s12 and i can only come up with kyb gr2s and gas adjusts for 280zx front...

XanoMar 21, 2010, 3:58 pm · #68

Just to let you know though, the 300zx shocks and springs are about 2 inches longer or taller (cant think of the best way to describe it)

If you are going with a stock higher look/feel then the 300zx rear stuff is great.  If you want lowering at all its not.

sam31183Mar 21, 2010, 4:02 pm · #69

I had a feeling about that...I am kind of just shopping around right now...I cant find anything for a 1985 nissan 200sx application so i am having to miss and match...2 inches taller would be horrible though considering i want to run the canuck springs...I think someone said some where that mustang agx shocks would work for the back (what year again?)...i cant find agx any where though anymore...and that still leaves me with the front...I can also only find illuminas for a 280zx front from motorsports Z and they want some coinage for them....

XanoMar 21, 2010, 4:06 pm · #70

I bought Foxbody mustang shocks for my old S12, and they were shorter than stock by an inch or two, so they'd work fine for the Canucks.

ziggyMar 21, 2010, 4:10 pm · #71

I have the canucks! what shocks should i get then because the car is now lowered due to the CM sprign??? THATS ALL I NEED TO KNOW    wich are the best and the best for the money ?

XanoMar 21, 2010, 4:16 pm · #72

front or rear? rears go with like i said, the Foxbody mustang shocks.  Fronts I couldnt tell you, I think MR-2 Rear strut inserts fit our front strut inserts and give some lowering.

sam31183Mar 21, 2010, 4:19 pm · #73
Xano I bought Foxbody mustang shocks for my old S12, and they were shorter than stock by an inch or two, so they'd work fine for the Canucks.

I feel dumb for asking...but what is the year span on the fox body mustang again? Like 82 to 95 or something? I still dont know what to run for the fronts though...I think I remember reading some where of someone using 1st gen mr2 shocks for the front in agxs....from talking to my brother the 1st gen mr2 and ae86 use the same front shocks in the agxs....time for some more reading...
XanoMar 21, 2010, 4:26 pm · #74

Best bet is mid to late 80's on the foxbody, thats what i went with to be safe.

sam31183Mar 21, 2010, 5:43 pm · #75

iggy did something interesting in the back of his car...and i think he did a similar setup in the front before going to s13 coilovers...but he never posted were he bought these from or the part numbers or anything i could use to try to find these really...and he never posted what his exact setup was in the front before he switched to s13 coilovers...I am going to ask questions in his build thread to see if i can get any info on this set up...but i thought i would share it here.

IggyEGuana K got rear springs and shocks in.

The 900lb/in springs are not nearly as stiff as I had hoped.  Not at all go kart like.  And the shocks I got are OEM fitment dirt track racing shocks for a mustang.  Valving seems pretty nice but still leavin the car bouncy.  IDK what Im gonna do.  Afraid car will bounce way too much to get a consistant slide.

posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image

The shocks are 13" compressed and 21.5" extended.
The height of the spring perch in the pic doesnt slam the car.  Thats about stock height.
The spacer in the lower shock mount came with the shocks.  Didnt need to use a bunch of washers so thats cool.

So yeah I'll update my opinion about this setup after I put some more miles on it.
ziggyMar 22, 2010, 9:01 pm · #76

I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND! :$

I want to use CM springs, which I have right now.  Now I want to change the shocks, only thing I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND TO BUY AND WHERE TO BUY!

I NEED HELP!

DeezusMar 23, 2010, 2:15 am · #77

wont kyb kgx work? they are adjustable too

sam31183Mar 23, 2010, 4:14 am · #78

summit racing has the best deal i could find on agx...what you need to do is search for 91 mr2 front shocks and 96 mustang rear shocks...coincidentally, this is the same shock set up that ae86 guys use for a cheap shock set up.

ziggyMar 23, 2010, 8:46 pm · #79
sam31183summit racing has the best deal i could find on agx...what you need to do is search for 91 mr2 front shocks and 96 mustang rear shocks...coincidentally, this is the same shock set up that ae86 guys use for a cheap shock set up.


Thanks bro Im going to look for them now.  Can you send me the link for them too? your sure they will work perfectly with the CM springs???
sam31183Mar 23, 2010, 10:29 pm · #80

front mr2
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-765015/
rear mustang shocks
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-743021/

with shipping for me it would come out to $384.75

Let me check kyboutlet.com...but i think that this is a better deal than what i was getting from there. Someone has ran the mustang shocks with a similar spring in the back, and another person ran the mr2 shock up front with either the canucks upfront or a similar spring...so it should work fine. I think it is interesting though that this is the same shock set up ae86 guys run...makes me wonder if the paradise racing ae86 coilovers will work up front...most likely they wont though...i need to get a good luck at my brothers...

edit http://www.kyboutlet.com/checkout/cart/
385.28 with free s and h....so just barely more...if anyone can find these cheaper lmk!!!

ziggyMar 23, 2010, 11:16 pm · #81
sam31183front mr2
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-765015/
rear mustang shocks
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-743021/

with shipping for me it would come out to $384.75

Let me check kyboutlet.com...but i think that this is a better deal than what i was getting from there. Someone has ran the mustang shocks with a similar spring in the back, and another person ran the mr2 shock up front with either the canucks upfront or a similar spring...so it should work fine. I think it is interesting though that this is the same shock set up ae86 guys run...makes me wonder if the paradise racing ae86 coilovers will work up front...most likely they wont though...i need to get a good luck at my brothers...
edit http://www.kyboutlet.com/checkout/cart/
385.28 with free s and h....so just barely more...if anyone can find these cheaper lmk!!!

Thanks so much!!! I might just order these  I don't think I can wait much longer :$
Ill tell you if I do
sam31183Mar 23, 2010, 11:18 pm · #82

cool, let me know how it goes, if your order these you will most likely get them on the car before me...everything should work fine though...i spent like 3 days sifting through old threads...

ziggyMar 24, 2010, 2:11 am · #83

3 days glare  I know how u feel!

I spent like 1 week but got no perfect answer  I just hope they work!!!

gerrybgMar 24, 2010, 2:30 am · #84

The rear KYB AGX's people use are 79 to 93 model mustang rear shocks

sam31183Mar 24, 2010, 5:28 am · #85

that year shock ups the total price....i wonder what the difference is in overall length...

ziggyMar 24, 2010, 9:49 pm · #86

I still didn't order them yet.....I want cheaper ones!  LOL
But i really think there my only option  Im just scared there not going to work well

sam31183Mar 24, 2010, 10:13 pm · #87

they should work fine...i am thinking both of the years of mustang will work also....i wish they where cheaper to...but that looks like the best deal around right now....i could try tirerack or discount tires again real fast.

edit discount tires is 393.88 after shipping....and they have fewer than 4 mr2 front shocks in stock...

ziggyMar 24, 2010, 10:14 pm · #88

Im sure its not going to be much cheaper
I wish someone has used ones!

sam31183Apr 3, 2010, 11:06 pm · #89

fyi i bought springs and shocks last night...i went with the newer foxbody shocks because they were cheaper....i will let you guys know how it goes.

ziggyApr 3, 2010, 11:14 pm · #90

Ok, I still didn't order mines. Tell me how it works for you. How much did they end up costing with shipping?

sam31183Apr 3, 2010, 11:28 pm · #91

about the same price as i posted...i am hoping the springs will show up before saturday next week...i got new wheel bearings and i am looking for pads for the front right now....and i got an autox on april 17th so i am hoping my brother and i can tear the car apart and throw it back together before then...

ziggyApr 5, 2010, 9:32 pm · #92

Can you tell me the exact price with shipping?  Can u send me the link for the same ones u bought too.  

5 think they might cost more because I live in Canada and I have to pay shipping and customs

sam31183Apr 5, 2010, 10:58 pm · #93

the exact link is the one i posted before...shipping for you is no doubt more because of your canadian residency....

ziggyApr 5, 2010, 11:06 pm · #94

okay thanks, just tell em how they go for u.

sam31183Apr 9, 2010, 10:38 pm · #95

springs/shocks are installed...going to do a write up later when i have more time...the fronts required some modifications...but the backs were pretty much bolt on....car handles amazingly and it has a nice lower stance...and my tires arent rubbing, which is something i was worried about.

ziggyApr 10, 2010, 12:25 am · #96

That's GREAT

did you install bump steer spacers as well?

sam31183Apr 10, 2010, 2:41 am · #97

nope...car seems to drive fine without them so far! My brother is running paradise racing coilovers on the front of his ae86 without bump steer spacers and he has his springs set to the lowest possible setting for height. He doesnt have adjustable shocks though...Also, I have only been running at half setting on the back and front...but, I am having to re learn how to drive the car as it is...I am contemplating turning it up a notch here soon though.

ziggyApr 10, 2010, 2:45 am · #98

Okay thats great to hear

I'm just asking because just yesterday my brother bought shocks from a parts store, the guy said there stock height and will work with lowering springs once there less then 2 inches, so the CM springs should work.  Well I don't know, but I'm going to see how this works out.

sam31183Apr 10, 2010, 2:51 am · #99

well the reason why we have to use the mr2 shocks with the canuck springs is because they are shorter stroke which works better with the shorter canuck springs.

ziggyApr 10, 2010, 3:19 am · #100

Yea thats what I relized,  but my brother thinks he knoes everything and bought these ones :@.  So well put these on see how they work out, if there not good I can always return them and buy the mr2 shocks.